Idea to Improve Football

Started by Drummer, March 28, 2012, 12:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drummer

Folks,
Just something I've been thinking of lately ....
Why don't the GAA introduce a rule whereby any player seen to commit a third man tackle should automatically be given a yellow card, irrespective of the circumstances?

For me, the lenient treatment of third man tackles is one of the main reasons why football is a less attractive game to watch than it used to be.  Removing this from the game would significantly improve the pace of the game and should return the free flowing nature of gaelic football which has been lost recent years. 

In the absence of any official rule to prevent mass defences, extra defenders etc. I believe automatic yellow cards for third man tackles is the single easiest way that we can improve the "modern" game, and I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be introduced.

It's something that would be easy to understand for players, mentors and spectators, and easy to judge for referees/linesmen/umpires.

What do you think?

DuffleKing

What is this 3rd man tackle you speak of?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 28, 2012, 01:24:09 PM

What is this 3rd man tackle you speak of?

Never heard of it either, figment of your mans imagination ;)

Hashtag

I think that the way forward is 13 a side for intercounty football.

Canalman

Years ago there used to be a floodlit tournament run here in Dublin where a pointed free counted for 2 points. Really cut out the fouling from midfield up as the emphasis was on not giving the referee an option of giving the free in. Amazing how the "lazy tacklers" managed to master the tackle in those games. Might be worth a try.

Also a tallied free count with penalties for an exceeded amount of frees (such as maybe 2 points for a free / sin binning or the loss of a substitution for example) might be worth  a look at.

Anyway there will be the usual howls of derision at any attempts to improve what imo is a very good game anyway which  only needs tweaking to reflect recent tactics.

Anyonel remember the hoohah about the mandatory helmets in hurling ?............ which imo was a great initiative.

Jinxy

When is Hawkeye being introduced?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

screenexile

Quote from: Jinxy on March 28, 2012, 02:17:46 PM

Very excited about this . . . think it will improve our games no end!! And so cheap as well  :D

Hardy

The march towards the utter nambification of football continues. Not only have they practically criminalised all forms of tackling and physical contact, now some people want them to penalise tackles that don't exist.

Quote from: Jinxy on March 28, 2012, 02:17:46 PM

How is Hawkeye gonna see third man tackles? (Especially as they don't exist.)

sligoman2

Bring in a timeclock that the ref can stop at his discretion.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Jinxy

EagleLord

Quote from: sligoman2 on March 28, 2012, 03:14:41 PM
Bring in a timeclock that the ref can stop at his discretion.

The clock should be displayed for all to see. which the ref stops for long periods, e.g. injuries. Would end stupid nonsense over playing 4/5/6minutes 'injury time/stoppage time'. Bring in the hooter!

thejuice

Get rid of frees. Just play on. Count the bodies after.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

AZOffaly

Quote from: Canalman on March 28, 2012, 02:05:40 PM
Years ago there used to be a floodlit tournament run here in Dublin where a pointed free counted for 2 points. Really cut out the fouling from midfield up as the emphasis was on not giving the referee an option of giving the free in. Amazing how the "lazy tacklers" managed to master the tackle in those games. Might be worth a try.

Also a tallied free count with penalties for an exceeded amount of frees (such as maybe 2 points for a free / sin binning or the loss of a substitution for example) might be worth  a look at.

Anyway there will be the usual howls of derision at any attempts to improve what imo is a very good game anyway which  only needs tweaking to reflect recent tactics.

Anyonel remember the hoohah about the mandatory helmets in hurling ?............ which imo was a great initiative.

Would that not also encourage diving?

Canalman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2012, 04:09:47 PM
Quote from: Canalman on March 28, 2012, 02:05:40 PM

Would that not also encourage diving?

Types with misty eyes.................. it was before the days of diving(ahem "simulation")