Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

surely this 6.1 rule has already been broken in the past??

haranguerer

Quote from: big balla on May 20, 2012, 01:34:51 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 20, 2012, 12:08:56 AM
Quote from: big balla on May 19, 2012, 09:38:32 PM
CHAPTER 6 – GAMES AND COMPETITIONS

PLAYING ELIGIBILITY/
TRANSFERS/DECLARATIONS

Transfers and Declarations - Association's Ethos
As the Gaelic Athletic Association is community centred,
based on the allegiance of its members to their local Clubs
and Counties, the Transfer and Declaration Rules in this
Official Guide and in County Bye-Laws reflect that ethos.
A player is considered to owe allegiance and loyalty to his
Home Club and County, as defined in these Rules.

Therefore, you cannot choose a new county, as Johnson has admitted to doing, without breaking this rule

Its not a rule, hence the last 5 words, and the rest of (6), which go on to define what your own county is, one of which options is, the county in which your club is in. I believe kevins is in kildare, so...

Btw heffo, you'll be glad to hear, your subjective opinions, being your opinions, can never be incorrect  8)

I was just asking re letter and envelope because if it was returned as 'not known at this address, that would obv be on the envelope rather than the letter  ;)

of course it is a rule, it is rule 6.1 ya clab! the last fie words refer to the definition of home club or county, not that 6.1 is not a rule

Right, if its a rule, explain to me how it could be breached? What bit did SJ breach?

big balla

Quote from: haranguerer on May 20, 2012, 02:31:59 PM
Quote from: big balla on May 20, 2012, 01:34:51 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 20, 2012, 12:08:56 AM
Quote from: big balla on May 19, 2012, 09:38:32 PM
CHAPTER 6 – GAMES AND COMPETITIONS

PLAYING ELIGIBILITY/
TRANSFERS/DECLARATIONS

Transfers and Declarations - Association's Ethos
As the Gaelic Athletic Association is community centred,
based on the allegiance of its members to their local Clubs
and Counties, the Transfer and Declaration Rules in this
Official Guide and in County Bye-Laws reflect that ethos.
A player is considered to owe allegiance and loyalty to his
Home Club and County, as defined in these Rules.

Therefore, you cannot choose a new county, as Johnson has admitted to doing, without breaking this rule

Its not a rule, hence the last 5 words, and the rest of (6), which go on to define what your own county is, one of which options is, the county in which your club is in. I believe kevins is in kildare, so...

Btw heffo, you'll be glad to hear, your subjective opinions, being your opinions, can never be incorrect  8)

I was just asking re letter and envelope because if it was returned as 'not known at this address, that would obv be on the envelope rather than the letter  ;)

of course it is a rule, it is rule 6.1 ya clab! the last fie words refer to the definition of home club or county, not that 6.1 is not a rule

Right, if its a rule, explain to me how it could be breached? What bit did SJ breach?

"A player is considered to owe allegiance and loyalty to his
Home Club and County"

trileacman

To be fair to Johnston he wasn't chasing medals he was chasing football. The arguments on here seem to be about how Seanie left Cavan looking for glory. He was forced out of the team and coming to the final years of his prime playing career he felt he needed somewhere to go to make something of his undoubted talent.

If Andrews hadn't have been a bollix and Johnston was still on the Cavan panel we wouldn't have the current situation. If Johnston didn't feel the need to leave a struggling Cavan squad 4 years ago he would harbour the idea of doing so, especially when it appears a decent draft of young players look like changing their fortunes.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

anglocelt39

Best of luck down under Rodney you'll have a ball of a time. Will miss your contributions
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

big balla

I know its a vague enough rule, but they are gonna try and stop it going through and obviously feel that this is gonna do it. The assossiation has been running for longer than the career of SJ and the rules are there for the greater good. The allegiance to home club or county is what has helped make it so strong and, in my opinion, should be preserved. 

Stevie g 8

Quote from: big balla on May 20, 2012, 02:53:42 PM
I know its a vague enough rule, but they are gonna try and stop it going through and obviously feel that this is gonna do it. The assossiation has been running for longer than the career of SJ and the rules are there for the greater good. The allegiance to home club or county is what has helped make it so strong and, in my opinion, should be preserved.
The ethos of the GAA  is changing and is going to continue to.if he says he,s living in Kildare and gave all the evidence to prove so,why have they stopped it,this decision was probably made by a bunch of clowns who never played the game and who get great perks for attending these meetings(good expenses,free meals,tickets etc)

AZOffaly

Quote from: trileacman on May 20, 2012, 02:46:22 PM
To be fair to Johnston he wasn't chasing medals he was chasing football. The arguments on here seem to be about how Seanie left Cavan looking for glory. He was forced out of the team and coming to the final years of his prime playing career he felt he needed somewhere to go to make something of his undoubted talent.

If Andrews hadn't have been a bollix and Johnston was still on the Cavan panel we wouldn't have the current situation. If Johnston didn't feel the need to leave a struggling Cavan squad 4 years ago he would harbour the idea of doing so, especially when it appears a decent draft of young players look like changing their fortunes.

If that was truly the case why not transfer to Longford, Roscommon, Monaghan or somewhere closer to him like that? Kildare is an awful long way to go 'chasing football'.

PAULD123

Wispa makes excellent points for a sport which is based on sporting achievement as a priority which is the case in soccer or rugby. GAA is not like that. GAA is established as a community organisation. The prime requirement is to give your best for your community in any way. That ranges from the ladies making the tea, the dancers, the Irish language teachers and right up to the first team footballers/hurlers. The role of any individual is to give his best for his community. It is NOT to think himself too good for his community and clear off to somewhere else. Success on the field is second fiddle to effort. It is a bonus but that is all. each member of the GAA is equal and deserves nothing more than to contribute their best to their community.

Sadly GAA is becoming more like Wispa's vision. Where we think people should be allowed to go and play for the best team. This is all wrong. People have no right at all to anything, except to give their best for their community. Anything else would be a selfish betrayal.

However in Seannie Johnston's case while his club want him and he wants them, his county have rejected him. If you are rejected by your own community would it be fair to argue that you deserve the right to be accepted by another and to serve them?

AZOffaly

He was dropped by the county team. His community in Cavan Gaels haven't rejected him. Loads of lads get dropped from County Panels and don't try to transfer out of the place. They play club ball, and if he's playing well enough Cavan would pick him.

If he genuinely moved to Kildare, I'd have no problem with him transferring club, and county, if he wanted to do that.

PAULD123

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2012, 08:45:37 AM
He was dropped by the county team. His community in Cavan Gaels haven't rejected him. Loads of lads get dropped from County Panels and don't try to transfer out of the place. They play club ball, and if he's playing well enough Cavan would pick him.

If he genuinely moved to Kildare, I'd have no problem with him transferring club, and county, if he wanted to do that.

Yes I did say that. That he is wanted by his club and he wants them. It is his county which is also a community that has rejected him. It's not that he is not good enough. If he is rejected does he not deserve to leave for another community? Just because others have chosen not to does not mean that they were correct. It is complicated because the county is larger than the club so he is half wanted and half not wanted. Personally I think he should just sort out his attitude problem and get back to playing with Cavan. But if Cavan don't want him and another county do then perhaps it is fair that he should be allowed.

He only tried to change clubs because he had to. If he could stay with Cavan Gaels and play for another county he would have.

Basically how would this be for a compromise. Any player should be required to play for his residence/birth county. That county should have first call. If they choose not to have him then he may be released to another county who want him. That way players would not have power to simply move, it would fully be the choice of the home county board.

rrhf

On the face of it sounds ok, however what happens if a footballer messes about within the dressing room and then online criticising management rendering him unchoosable by that county, potentially in order to move county.. This is a hypothetical situation of course. 

AZOffaly

And how do you decide that 'the county' doesn't want him? Does getting dropped constitute not wanting him, or does it mean he's not in the *current* plans? What about those who get dropped and come back? What about those that haven't go picked at all yet?

LeoMc

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on May 21, 2012, 01:29:09 AM
Quote from: big balla on May 20, 2012, 02:53:42 PM
The ethos of the GAA  is changing and is going to continue to.if he says he,s living in Kildare and gave all the evidence to prove so,why have they stopped it,this decision was probably made by a bunch of clowns who never played the game and who get great perks for attending these meetings(good expenses,free meals,tickets etc)

Now you measure your contribution up against these "bunch of clowns"
http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/miscellaneous/Committees%202012%20-%202015%20%2828_04_2012%29.pdf

Yeah

Seanie get back in the Cavan shirt ASAP please!!
Gods Country= Glenshesk, North Antrim!!