big balla

CHAPTER 6 – GAMES AND COMPETITIONS

PLAYING ELIGIBILITY/
TRANSFERS/DECLARATIONS

Transfers and Declarations - Association's Ethos
As the Gaelic Athletic Association is community centred,
based on the allegiance of its members to their local Clubs
and Counties, the Transfer and Declaration Rules in this
Official Guide and in County Bye-Laws reflect that ethos.
A player is considered to owe allegiance and loyalty to his
Home Club and County, as defined in these Rules.

Therefore, you cannot choose a new county, as Johnson has admitted to doing, without breaking this rule

Rawhide

This will be a doddle for Johnston at the DRA. Johnston will be able to demostrate how the GAA on many occasions in the past has allowed transfers like this to go through.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

haranguerer

Quote from: big balla on May 19, 2012, 09:38:32 PM

PLAYING ELIGIBILITY/
TRANSFERS/DECLARATIONS

Therefore, you cannot choose a new county, as Johnson has admitted to doing, without breaking this rule

Its not a rule, hence the last 5 words, and the rest of (6), which go on to define what your own county is, one of which options is, the county in which your club is in. I believe kevins is in kildare, so...

Btw heffo, you'll be glad to hear, your subjective opinions, being your opinions, can never be incorrect  8)

I was just asking re letter and envelope because if it was returned as 'not known at this address, that would obv be on the envelope rather than the letter  ;)

spuds

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 19, 2012, 07:59:16 PM
And what am I the only person on here who slated the CCCC? Freedom of speech.. you must be involved with them if it bothers you that much, why did they send the letter to johnstons house yesterday? hoping that somebody else might have lived there.. glck adios au revoir. Bye GAA Board.
Bye bye Seanie, enjoy Oz.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mup

Quote from: heffo on May 19, 2012, 03:57:41 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 19, 2012, 03:42:50 PM
Did you see the letter or the envelope?  :P

You can believe what you like, I've rarely posted anything incorrect here (aside from my subjective opinions...)

Sorry mate your talking rubbish You saw nothing. Give Rupert Murdoch a ring he might have a job for you.

I'm the postman for that area and I can categorically state that this never happened.

stephenite

Quote from: mup on May 20, 2012, 01:36:54 AM
Quote from: heffo on May 19, 2012, 03:57:41 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 19, 2012, 03:42:50 PM
Did you see the letter or the envelope?  :P

You can believe what you like, I've rarely posted anything incorrect here (aside from my subjective opinions...)

Sorry mate your talking rubbish You saw nothing. Give Rupert Murdoch a ring he might have a job for you.

I'm the postman for that area and I can categorically state that this never happened.

I thought Heffo already outed you in a cowardly retreat from being caught out?

Stevie g 8

Hope seanie takes it all the way to the DRA and gets justice and have his transfer granted.that cccc must be full of tossers with nothing better to do than cause trouble.it will eventually be granted one way or another

Wispa

Lads, gotta question that I'd like to see your opinions on. Firstly, I will clarify that I am split with the SJ case. I think anything he were to win with or for Kildare could not but be somewhat tainted. I believe there is nothing greater than winning something with a group of men who you've grown up with or soldiered with for years. If, in particular, an "outsider" were to be the primary reason you won though, to me, there would be something missing. And by "outsider", I mean someone who transferred to you only because they smelled a medal.
However, I do also resent an organisation trying to enforce a rule that in certain cases, restricts a player from fulfilling his ambition and/or potential and in cases affecting his actual love ofthe game and what he can get out of it. To explain what I mean, here's the question:
Take the example of a fello born into a small "weak" parish in a small "weak" county. Or indeed, even a strong county. It may not matter which. He loves the game to his fingertips and is blessed with talent. Is that fella to be resigned to playing with a club that will never get anywhere, never come close to a junior championship perhaps, never mind a senior, to playing with guys whose ambition is a million miles off his own and treat football as jst a bit of craic? If his county is relatively strong; then is that a substitute for a third of a yr playing drivel with a going-nowhere club, if it's a weak county then he's doubly f***ed. For someone like that, would they not at least be entitled to compete? In my opinion, I'd have no problem with this guy finding a way to move.
While it's not exactly the same as SJ's case (I wouldn't compare any county team to a junior club with no ambition, all county players have ambition) I think the fundamentals are the same, or at least incredibly similar and most importantly, both cases would be governed and judged by the same rules.
I think it's very easy to be romantic and talk about "ethos" not every case is identical, even though the particulars might be. And the gaa has to have a set of rules which are black and white, no? So is this guy supposed to accept the lot (and club) life (or bad luck) has given him? If you think so then having the same set of rules applied isn't a problem, but if like me, you don't agree, then there's a serious problem with the rules and how they could be implemented across a cross section of cases.

rrhf

Was it not a case that seanie s own attitude originally got him removed from the squad,  ie he didn't have the maturity to be a county footballer

haranguerer

Wispa, thats a great point to raise, and is another difficulty with the whole thing.

Hardy

Quote from: Wispa on May 20, 2012, 02:42:04 AM... the gaa has to have a set of rules which are black and white, no? So is this guy supposed to accept the lot (and club) life (or bad luck) has given him? If you think so then having the same set of rules applied isn't a problem, but if like me, you don't agree, then there's a serious problem with the rules and how they could be implemented across a cross section of cases.

That reminds me of a vox pop among youngsters on the radio about the Leaving Cert points system during the week. The opinions were split between those who saw it as being as fair a system as could be devised and those who thought it was unfair because it favours people who are bright and discriminates against those who are not good at putting their heads down and studying!

The GAA has decided, by the consensus of its membership that its community based ethos should be reflected in its allegiance rules, as I term them for convenience. So be it, unless and until the membership decides otherwise. This has its consequences. It means that people can't decide to play for whomever they like or go chasing medals as they see fit. You can't have it both ways. So the answer to your question is yes - yer man obeys the rules and if he doesn't like them, there are avenues open to him and all who agree with him to attempt to have them changed.

The effectiveness, fairness and transparency with which the rules are administered is another debate, a valid one and the one we're having here. To state my position on that, I think the application of the rules is often farcical. I draw the line at saying that that means that Seánie should have been facilitated in a blatantly cynical attempt at medal-chasing because others got away with it. Let's work on the problem of effectiveness, fairness and transparency, but not by abandoning the rules in all cases because some cases are badly, or even corruptly handled.

big balla

Quote from: haranguerer on May 20, 2012, 12:08:56 AM
Quote from: big balla on May 19, 2012, 09:38:32 PM

PLAYING ELIGIBILITY/
TRANSFERS/DECLARATIONS

Its not a rule, hence the last 5 words, and the rest of (6), which go on to define what your own county is, one of which options is, the county in which your club is in. I believe kevins is in kildare, so...

Btw heffo, you'll be glad to hear, your subjective opinions, being your opinions, can never be incorrect  8)

I was just asking re letter and envelope because if it was returned as 'not known at this address, that would obv be on the envelope rather than the letter  ;)

of course it is a rule, it is rule 6.1 ya clab! the last fie words refer to the definition of home club or county, not that 6.1 is not a rule