Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: kildare2012 on January 26, 2012, 08:39:55 AM
St Kevins? Some addition to them, outside Gordon Kearney they lack some quality up front.

Dinny Breen i have played against ST. Kevins and know some of them they have a very strong forward line. Mark Fitzharris, Barry Noone, Eoghan Carew and add Johnston to this. Then they have Gordon Kearney, Jason Brosnan, Mick Kenny and Tom Barron all these have represented Kildare at different levels.

Johnston will very rarely be seen in the red and black if at all. If this whole thing had been handled properly then he'd be playing for Straffan what with him living there and all...  ::)

It's not as if playing for a Junior club would have hindered hiis county prospects because it certainly hasn't for Rob or Peter Kelly. The Kevins/Niall Carew link is fairly damning and it reflects quite badly on the senior management.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 26, 2012, 09:12:40 AM
Quote from: kildare2012 on January 26, 2012, 08:39:55 AM
St Kevins? Some addition to them, outside Gordon Kearney they lack some quality up front.

Dinny Breen i have played against ST. Kevins and know some of them they have a very strong forward line. Mark Fitzharris, Barry Noone, Eoghan Carew and add Johnston to this. Then they have Gordon Kearney, Jason Brosnan, Mick Kenny and Tom Barron all these have represented Kildare at different levels.

Johnston will very rarely be seen in the red and black if at all. If this whole thing had been handled properly then he'd be playing for Straffan what with him living there and all...  ::)

It's not as if playing for a Junior club would have hindered hiis county prospects because it certainly hasn't for Rob or Peter Kelly. The Kevins/Niall Carew link is fairly damning and it reflects quite badly on the senior management.

He will be back playing for Cavan Gaels very lively.

Onlooker

John Murtagh's transfer to Louth has been turned down it seems.  Not looking good for Seanie Johnston playing for Kildare i would think.

haranguerer

Right enough, given that many players who have played co football have then been able to move to whatever club they want and continue playing for the original co, is there anything in the rules to stop seanie playing a game or two for kildare, then transferring back to cavan gaels, and playing for them and Kildare as originally intended? Mebbe hes cute enough  :D

haranguerer

Quote from: Onlooker on January 26, 2012, 11:20:13 AM
John Murtagh's transfer to Louth has been turned down it seems.  Not looking good for Seanie Johnston playing for Kildare i would think.

Is he transferring to a club in louth?

AZOffaly

The jockey?

Onlooker

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2012, 11:24:34 AM

The jockey?
I expected that one.  It is the former Armagh footballer who plays for Parnells.  I suppose he should have got a residence in Straffan!!.

Jinxy

Quote from: haranguerer on January 26, 2012, 11:21:49 AM
Right enough, given that many players who have played co football have then been able to move to whatever club they want and continue playing for the original co, is there anything in the rules to stop seanie playing a game or two for kildare, then transferring back to cavan gaels, and playing for them and Kildare as originally intended? Mebbe hes cute enough  :D

Haranguerer genuine question here (which you are under no obligation to answer).
Did you ever fall out with your home club?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

haranguerer

Quote from: Jinxy on January 26, 2012, 12:19:57 PM

Haranguerer genuine question here (which you are under no obligation to answer).

No, I never have, not even in a minor way.

I am so vehement about this though, because to me it does a lot more harm than good. I dont see how an amateur organisation can restrict their players in such a way. I wouldnt like to see the situation whereby lads from anywhere were playing interco for anyone, I think ideally for me it would be like the international set up, play for any club you want, but only your own county.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: hardstation on January 26, 2012, 02:39:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 26, 2012, 01:32:41 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 26, 2012, 12:19:57 PM
Right enough, given that many players who have played co football have then been able to move to whatever club they want and continue playing for the original co, is there anything in the rules to stop seanie playing a game or two for kildare, then transferring back to cavan gaels, and playing for them and Kildare as originally.  intended? Mebbe hes cute enough  :D

No, I never have, not even in a minor way.

I am so vehement about this though, because to me it does a lot more harm than good. I dont see how an amateur organisation can restrict their players in such a way. I wouldnt like to see the situation whereby lads from anywhere were playing interco for anyone, I think ideally for me it would be like the international set up, play for any club you want, but only your own county.
So, why are you arguing that SJ should be allowed to play for Kildare (i.e not his own county)?

Exactly. I'm confused.

lynchbhoy

was going to reply to heffo and say the same thing but it is more apt by responding to your post.

One precedent for the above scenario that you suggest is Rory Gallagher in 2007 (I think).
He transferred to Cavan for intercounty and they found him an address outside kilanaleck and his new club were Crosserlough. As far as I know he never played for them and maybe didnt even train with them - only the county.
meanwhile he was still living and working in Dublin.
Then when Cavan were dumped out of the championship - he transferred back to Dublin club st brigids in time to play the latter end of the championship (q-final maybe but def semi final and final - which they lost).
Johnston could do much the same.

rodney trotter

I don't Johnston would be going back to the gaels at any stage this year, was the transfer request that he Play league football and championship football with St Kevins. If he is going to be playing with Kildare for more than one year he isn't going to Just leave St Kevins in July or August and then expect to go back playing for them the following year.

Gallagher played 5 or 5 games in the league with crosserlough btw before he headed back to brigids.

heffo

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 26, 2012, 03:11:26 PM
I don't Johnston would be going back to the gaels at any stage this year,

We'll see so.

mylestheslasher

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_sportat7.xml

11 minutes in on the link for the 25th Jan. This puts it in perspective. The journalists is a local one in Cavan, Owen McConnon. A pretty reliable source...

samwin08

The secret for all players is to know the rules. For those looking to transfer they should read  Official Rules Part 1 , 'Player Elgibility'
Most guys looking to move don't know the rules, clearly Murtagh was misguided...
Seanie Johnston should also note  the full text of Mc Geeny's comments , rather than headlines.

"He can come here, turn up, play, train and I've never stopped anybody who's wanted to play for Kildare. He has indicated that he wants to and we'll take him in with open arms but he's going to have his work cut out.

"There are a lot of fellas there who want their place too and if Seanie steps in here he's going to have to put up like everybody else."
Seanie was  a Rose in Cavan?  (Gaels)   but he ain't no Lilly.
But fair play to him as the Dublin import has no right to end his career for Cavan.A decent manager would manage the player. In a few years Valerie will return to Dublin, just like Tommy Who