Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ONeill on January 19, 2012, 11:38:28 PM
As a matter of interest, have their been many inter-county footballers who have changed county allegience in the last 20 years (having played for both counties)? Antrim have a few although some hadn't played for their home county at senior level. Padden etc.

The Armagh ones that I recall are;

John Donaldson Louth / Armagh
Billy Joe Padden Mayo / Armagh
John Murtagh Armagh / Louth
Conor Gough Armagh (Minors) / Down

There was also a big midfielder who plays for St Brigids who played for Armagh in the McKenna Cup (possibly 2008) then appeared for Antrim in the same competition a couple of years later. Darragh something possibly?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

anglocelt39

Quote from: Richiej on January 19, 2012, 09:45:37 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 19, 2012, 09:16:28 PM
Quote from: Richiej on January 19, 2012, 07:26:59 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 19, 2012, 07:09:07 PM
Johnston had played under crap managers like Keogan, Carr and here he was again playing under another crap one

Ah yes Ritchie, consistency from one Forum to the other, sure it's always the management, eh. not to mention your outher hobby horse, the County Board.

we will leave the CB for another day lol..

Don't bother Richie you've posted enough nonsense on that topic over on Hogan Stand to last us all a lifetime. One question you might be able to answer mind, I'm delighted that 4 Gaels lads togged out last night and made a big contribution, any idea of the last time four  of the club represented the County in a competitive senior fixture?
Your a fair hand at the auld nonsense yourself but sure arent you entitled to your opinion like the rest of us..
Anyway in answer to your question..................

2004 Against Down 7 gaels players played. That was the highest number i think. Elliott,E Reilly, Crotty, Collins, Lyng, Johnstone, Rabbitt,

Just another piece of useless info lol

So  at the same time you as a proud Gaels man have a full time job on two internet fora railing about the treatment meted out to Jelly (and Michael Lyng) four   of their clubmates have no problem togging out for the county. Suggests to me Richie that despite the best efforts of yourself and a small number of others to whip it up here, this is nothing like the issue on the ground that you're making it out to be. Perhaps you've been away from Terry Coyle for too long. By the way, absolutely delighted to see the Gaels lads coming through, long may it continue.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

AZOffaly

Didn't big Dave Kavanagh play for Kildare and then Offaly back in the 90s?

James O'Shea (Foilmore) played for Kerry and Cork (Blasphemy).

PJ Ward played with Westmeath and then Offaly.

Declan Darcy was Leitrim and then Dublin.

That's a couple off the top of my head.

DuffleKing

Aidan short - armagh / antrim
Mark mccrory - armagh / antrim
David o'hare - armagh / derry

AQMP

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 20, 2012, 09:24:05 AM
As a matter of interest, have their been many inter-county footballers who have changed county allegience in the last 20 years (having played for both counties)? Antrim have a few although some hadn't played for their home county at senior level. Padden etc.

There was also a big midfielder who plays for St Brigids who played for Armagh in the McKenna Cup (possibly 2008) then appeared for Antrim in the same competition a couple of years later. Darragh something possibly?

Dara Edwards played a few games for Antrim right enough.  Off the top of my head going back a few years we had

Liam Turbitt (Tyrone/Antrim)
Adrian McAulfied? (Down/Antrim)
Con Coleman (Galway/Antrim)
Mark McCrory (Armagh?/Antrim)
Aidan Morris (Tyrone/Antrim)
Andy Healy (Tipp/Antrim)
Aidan Shortt (Armagh/Antrim)
Martin O'Neill (Derry/Antrim/Notts Forest/Norwich/OWC/Celtic/Aston Villa/Sunderland) ;)

There's probably a load more.  Going the other way there was

Stephen Mulvenna (Antrim/All Ireland Winner with Derry)
Andy McCallin (Antrim's only football All Star/Played a bit of football and hurling with Limerick I believe)
Ciaran Barr (Antrim/Dublin hurling)

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 20, 2012, 09:44:53 AM
Didn't big Dave Kavanagh play for Kildare and then Offaly back in the 90s?

James O'Shea (Foilmore) played for Kerry and Cork (Blasphemy).

PJ Ward played with Westmeath and then Offaly.

Declan Darcy was Leitrim and then Dublin.

That's a couple off the top of my head.

Indeed he did.

The great Larry Stanley won All-Ireland medals with both Kildare in 1919 and Dublin in 1923. He was also regarded as one of the best high-jumpers in the world having beaten the Olympic champion at Wembley Stadium!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

SambaSaffron

Quote from: AQMP on January 20, 2012, 10:14:07 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 20, 2012, 09:24:05 AM

Dara Edwards played a few games for Antrim right enough.  Off the top of my head going back a few years we had

Liam Turbitt (Tyrone/Antrim)
Adrian McAulfied? (Down/Antrim)
Con Coleman (Galway/Antrim)
Mark McCrory (Armagh?/Antrim)
Aidan Morris (Tyrone/Antrim)
Andy Healy (Tipp/Antrim)
Aidan Shortt (Armagh/Antrim)
Martin O'Neill (Derry/Antrim/Notts Forest/Norwich/OWC/Celtic/Aston Villa/Sunderland) ;)

There's probably a load more.  Going the other way there was

Stephen Mulvenna (Antrim/All Ireland Winner with Derry)
Andy McCallin (Antrim's only football All Star/Played a bit of football and hurling with Limerick I believe)
Ciaran Barr (Antrim/Dublin hurling)
More recently Dean O'Neil (Tyrone/Antrim) Was then found out not to be eligible to play at all
Willie McSorley (Armagh/Antrim)
Ryan Daly (Monaghan/Antrim)

Lar Naparka

Padden was the most high-profile one to leave Mayo in recent years but there were a few others.
Alan Costello plays for Sligo now but played senior for Mayo and Austin O'Malley was a county regular for years before switching allegiances to Wicklow.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AZOffaly

Didn't Martin Carney, the analyst, play for Donegal and Mayo as well. And was there a lad in the late 80's team too? Finnerty or something?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 20, 2012, 12:35:41 PM
Didn't Martin Carney, the analyst, play for Donegal and Mayo as well. And was there a lad in the late 80's team too? Finnerty or something?

Pádraig Brogan might be the lad you're thinking of AZ.

Vinny Murphy lined out for the Kerry hurlers didn't he? Billy Sheehan played underage for Kerry. Thomas Walsh crossed the Carlow/Wicklow divide!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 20, 2012, 12:42:39 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 20, 2012, 12:35:41 PM

Pádraig Brogan might be the lad you're thinking of AZ.

Vinny Murphy lined out for the Kerry hurlers didn't he? Billy Sheehan played underage for Kerry. Thomas Walsh crossed the Carlow/Wicklow divide!

That's him DH. I think you're right about big Vinny too :)

sammymaguire

Shane King played for Fermanagh then Down...

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

fitzroyalty

shezam

heffo

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 20, 2012, 02:16:24 PM
Has anyone played for three counties?

Rory Gallagher played for Fermanagh & Cavan and played club football in Dublin, Cavan, Fermanagh & Antrim. Openly touted himself to Dublin - thankfully it went nowhere.