Are we debasing our National Anthem?

Started by Tomorrow is another day, March 12, 2010, 11:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomorrow is another day

Just a pet hate of mine and I am curious as to whether I am an odd ball or whether some people share my views.

Every two bit county game and many club games  I attend now plays our National Anthem before the start of the game. Surely this should be reserved for finals only to "create" a special event feeling. We should be proud of our nation and identity but we devalue it through this type of excessive overplay.

Moreover if we really want to attract people from the other community and make our games open to all we need to view this from their point of view. I remember going to a cinema in Banbridge years ago and at the end of the show they played God Save the Queen. I felt at the time that this was totally out of place and gratuitous and left me somewhat resentful. 25 years on I see striking similarities with that experience and many "non-event" GAA games where playing Amhran na bhfiann seemed out of place.

Maybe as I get older I am just getting uncomfortable with naked nationalism and becoming more republican in its true sense of the word.

5 Sams

There's nothing like a good oul rendition of Amhran na bhFiann to get the hairs standing on the back of your neck. Before a championship game, at the end of the night in the club, whenever....but the 26 dont give it enough respect imho.....you wont hear a roar until the last syllable in Casement Park or Clones...go to Thurles or Pairc Ui Caoimh and they're goin nuts at "le gunnai screach" :-[
The Aristocrat Years

longrunsthefox

Aye, he has a point about it being played at every two-bit game and often on  a screechy tape like I've heard in Casement Park at times. Too often does kill the golden goose. If GSTQ was played at every league and cup game in soccer in the North, I guess nationalists would be very critical of it.

orangeman

Yer man in Iniskeen last week gave it some lifting.

As good as ever I heard.

longrunsthefox

Rugby players give it some respect and rendition. Too many GAA players in the south stretch and dance about during it... 

haranguerer

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 12, 2010, 11:47:44 PM
Rugby players give it some respect and rendition. Too many GAA players in the south stretch and dance about during it...

::) Line them up on a red carpet and put a camera in their face as in the rugby and it'd be a different story.

What a load of bollocks anyway - what would you be saving the anthem for? If it was rarely played it'd be the same people asking if we were ashamed of it

longrunsthefox

Quote from: haranguerer on March 13, 2010, 12:04:12 AM

::) Line them up on a red carpet and put a camera in their face as in the rugby and it'd be a different story.

What a load of bollocks anyway - what would you be saving the anthem for? If it was rarely played it'd be the same people asking if we were ashamed of it

In the All Ireland final they do run the camera along them. 2008 the Tyrone boys all sang it and faced the tricolour to attention while Kerry players were strectching away and their keeper especially seemed to be jogging on the spot... and the rest of that day as they say is history...  8)

ONeill

How old is Ireland?
How old is the National Anthem?

Load of balls.

It was written in 1907. By a man.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

longrunsthefox

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on March 13, 2010, 12:08:23 AM
How old is Ireland?
How old is the National Athem?

Load of balls.

In English.

ALL Ireland, Provincial & County Finals only.
MWWSI 2017

longrunsthefox

Quote from: muppet on March 13, 2010, 12:09:45 AM
Quote from: ONeill on March 13, 2010, 12:08:23 AM
How old is Ireland?
How old is the National Athem?

Load of balls.

In English.

ALL Ireland, Provincial & County Finals only.

Aye, I'd go with that.

ONeill

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 13, 2010, 12:09:09 AM
...and?  ???

It is disrespected by supporters and players (majority) at the start of a game. Most don't know the words. It means nothing. The  majority of those who sing it haven't a notion what it means but think they feel a sense of Irishness when sung. Tripe.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Celt_Man

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 12, 2010, 11:35:51 PM
There's nothing like a good oul rendition of Amhran na bhFiann to get the hairs standing on the back of your neck. Before a championship game, at the end of the night in the club, whenever....but the 26 dont give it enough respect imho.....you wont hear a roar until the last syllable in Casement Park or Clones...go to Thurles or Pairc Ui Caoimh and they're goin nuts at "le gunnai screach" :-[

point of order, where is Clones again?!!  ;)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 13, 2010, 12:06:56 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 13, 2010, 12:04:12 AM

In the All Ireland final they do run the camera along them. 2008 the Tyrone boys all sang it and faced the tricolour to attention while Kerry players were strectching away and their keeper especially seemed to be jogging on the spot... and the rest of that day as they say is history...  8)

Well, when we saw you  standing to attention we were expecting  "God save the Queen"  so obviously we weren't going to pay too much respect to that.
How were we to know they would play our anthem instead of yours....go figure, eh

Nally Stand

Sheehy, why expect to hear GSTQ? It is the English anthem. Since when was Tyrone in England? Funny, when Kerry ran onto the pitch they were in green & gold. I was expecting to see them in blueshirts. Repeated defeats to Tyrone still hurt Mike? In fairness I do agree that supporters in the south don't respect it in the same way as in the north. I remember the 2003 final- Sean Kelly on presenting Sam congratulated both sets of fans for singing the anthem to the very end before cheering.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore