Who can stop Dublin?

Started by tyroneman, February 13, 2010, 09:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Looks like Paddy Andrews isn't totally out of contention. A Dublin team beat Westmeath in a challenge at the weekend (5-13 to 1-19). None of the men named in the panel so far were included (22-24), so it looks like these guys were fighting for the last 5, 6 or 7 places. A bit disappointed that so few of the U21s were involved. In particular I think wing backs Devereux and Cooper would have been worth a look. Surprised that Supple wasnt the next keeper in line.

Dublin team:
D Nestor
D Murray, K Nolan, J Brogan
P Brogan, B Sexton, S Cloherty
C Murphy, D Magee
B Cullen, D Rock (1-5, 3f), K Bonner
A Brogan (1-1), P Andrews (1-4), D Kelly (0-1)
Subs: B McManamon (1-1), L Óg Ó hEineacháin (0-1), D Watson (1-0), D Daly, S Murray.

The following 24 names are thought to be the panel named so far (though differing views at to whether Burke and McCarthy are in or not):

Keepers: Cluxton, Savage
Defenders: Brennan, Cahill, Conlon, O'Carroll, Fitzsimons, McMahon, O'Sullivan, McCarthy
Quasi defenders: Henry, Hubbard, Bastick
Midfielders: McConnell, Fennell, MacAuley
Forwards: B Brogan, Flynn, Corkery, Keaney, K McManamon, Quinn, Connolly, Burke

Incidentally the Westmeath team was as follows:
D Quinn
F Boyle (0-1), D O'Donoghue, J Gaffey
D McDermott, T Warburton, M Dalton
D Duffy, P Bannon
J Durkan, P Sharry, J Smyth
D Glennon (0-7, 6f), C Lynam (1-2), D Dolan (0-4)
Subs: P Gilsenan (0-1), D Healy, S Gallagher, D Harte, G Egan (0-1), K Martin, M Ennis (0-1), K Maguire, R Doyle, L Smyth, I Coffey (0-2f), G Glennon.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hound on May 25, 2010, 08:47:06 AM
Looks like Paddy Andrews isn't totally out of contention. A Dublin team beat Westmeath in a challenge at the weekend (5-13 to 1-19). None of the men named in the panel so far were included (22-24), so it looks like these guys were fighting for the last 5, 6 or 7 places. A bit disappointed that so few of the U21s were involved. In particular I think wing backs Devereux and Cooper would have been worth a look. Surprised that Supple wasnt the next keeper in line.

Dublin team:
D Nestor
D Murray, K Nolan, J Brogan
P Brogan, B Sexton, S Cloherty
C Murphy, D Magee
B Cullen, D Rock (1-5, 3f), K Bonner
A Brogan (1-1), P Andrews (1-4), D Kelly (0-1)
Subs: B McManamon (1-1), L Óg Ó hEineacháin (0-1), D Watson (1-0), D Daly, S Murray.

The following 24 names are thought to be the panel named so far (though differing views at to whether Burke and McCarthy are in or not):

Keepers: Cluxton, Savage
Defenders: Brennan, Cahill, Conlon, O'Carroll, Fitzsimons, McMahon, O'Sullivan, McCarthy
Quasi defenders: Henry, Hubbard, Bastick
Midfielders: McConnell, Fennell, MacAuley
Forwards: B Brogan, Flynn, Corkery, Keaney, K McManamon, Quinn, Connolly, Burke

Incidentally the Westmeath team was as follows:
D Quinn
F Boyle (0-1), D O'Donoghue, J Gaffey
D McDermott, T Warburton, M Dalton
D Duffy, P Bannon
J Durkan, P Sharry, J Smyth
D Glennon (0-7, 6f), C Lynam (1-2), D Dolan (0-4)
Subs: P Gilsenan (0-1), D Healy, S Gallagher, D Harte, G Egan (0-1), K Martin, M Ennis (0-1), K Maguire, R Doyle, L Smyth, I Coffey (0-2f), G Glennon.
apparantly a savage amount of injuries has lead Gilroy to defer from culling the panel completely and Paddy Andrews is back in there- at least for now.
There are a good few on that squad who I do not rate and time will tell how good Dublin are if Gilroy makes too many wholesale changes.
also imo Cooper is a decent young footballer but has been overhyped since he was u17. He was almost too light for u21 so will be a few years off the mark for the full senior intercounty football - if he ever makes the step up.

Hound

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 25, 2010, 11:00:00 AM
apparantly a savage amount of injuries has lead Gilroy to defer from culling the panel completely and Paddy Andrews is back in there- at least for now.
There are a good few on that squad who I do not rate and time will tell how good Dublin are if Gilroy makes too many wholesale changes.
also imo Cooper is a decent young footballer but has been overhyped since he was u17. He was almost too light for u21 so will be a few years off the mark for the full senior intercounty football - if he ever makes the step up.
I'h hoping the huge amount of strains and pulls and other minor injuries are a coincidence and not something to do with training methods!

The area Gilroy has made progress in, is the full back line. With O'Carroll, McMahon, Conlon and Fitzsimons, we have good options. They lack experience of course so they will get "doings", but that comes with the territory, and its nice to have Henry available to slot in there is someone is struggling.

O'Sullivan is a very good addition at wingback, but this is offset by the loss of Griffin. Cahill's form is mediocre but he should come good. Leaves one slot available and bizarrely Bastick seems to be in pole position. I though Devereux and Cooper were our two best players during the U21 run so thats why I suggested them. I disagree about Cooper being too light - however Gilroy and Whelan do place a big emphasis on it.

Midfield is a massive worry, and maybe that's why Bastick is a wing back contender, to be able to give a hand around the middle. McAuley looks promising, but I believe he'll need another year of intercounty experience and training to realise his potential.

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on May 25, 2010, 01:45:08 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 25, 2010, 11:00:00 AM
I'h hoping the huge amount of strains and pulls and other minor injuries are a coincidence and not something to do with training methods!

The area Gilroy has made progress in, is the full back line. With O'Carroll, McMahon, Conlon and Fitzsimons, we have good options. They lack experience of course so they will get "doings", but that comes with the territory, and its nice to have Henry available to slot in there is someone is struggling.

O'Sullivan is a very good addition at wingback, but this is offset by the loss of Griffin. Cahill's form is mediocre but he should come good. Leaves one slot available and bizarrely Bastick seems to be in pole position. I though Devereux and Cooper were our two best players during the U21 run so thats why I suggested them. I disagree about Cooper being too light - however Gilroy and Whelan do place a big emphasis on it.

Midfield is a massive worry, and maybe that's why Bastick is a wing back contender, to be able to give a hand around the middle. McAuley looks promising, but I believe he'll need another year of intercounty experience and training to realise his potential.

The idea that alan brogan isn't an automatic selection says everything about where dublin are going. Most of that 24 couldn't lace his boots. in fact most of them should consider it an honour if they were asked to lace his boots for him. Its going to be one hell of a short summer. mark my words on that.

Hound

There'll be no stopping us now  ;)

adidas, the world's leading sports brand, on Thursday announced a new one year boot sponsorship deal with the Dublin senior footballers.  All the players will wear boots from the adidas stable depending on their playing style.

Pat Gilroy said: "We want our footballers to have access to the best in class"
Paul Moloney of adidas said: "We pride ourselves on helping athletes of all skill levels achieve peak performance"

PREDATOR™ X - €155
for additional 7% extra power and added swerve
(for the Brogans and Cluxton)

adiPURE III - €125
for refined elegance to maximise comfort and ensure a snug fit
(for all the southsiders).

F50 adiZero - €145
the lightest boot ever made, as light as a Frisbee, to allow players to travel at light speed
(for the remaining northsiders when in need of quick getaways)

Croí na hÉireann

adiFROZE
for the AI Quarter Finals
(for everyone)

:P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

muppet

MWWSI 2017

highorlow

There's no stopping them now. Some comeback yesterday.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

jobo11

Dont make me laugh, dublin r going no where. Poor showing yesterday but dublin will never see the third weekend of september, why, they can t handle the pressure. Who can t stop dublin? i won t even comment on that . no one will fear dublin

heffo

Quote from: jobo11 on June 14, 2010, 03:26:44 PM
Dont make me laugh, dublin r going no where. Poor showing yesterday but dublin will never see the third weekend of september, why, they can t handle the pressure. Who can t stop dublin? i won t even comment on that . no one will fear dublin

Jobo11 calm down, take a deep breath and google the word irony.

It wasn't meant as a serious question.

As for counties not being able to handle pressure, IMO Kerry are the only county that can look at anyone else not handling pressure - counties with a glory year of one in a row shouldn't.

Hound

Good man jobo, keep 'er lit!

You might want to ask your doc if he can prescribe you something for Small County Syndrome. You seem to have a severe dose!