Casement upgrade proposed by GAA

Started by never kickt a ball, March 27, 2009, 04:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

A lot of posts on this subject not seeing a bigger picture here at all.

Firstly the so called traffic hold ups. With at least four main exit points from the city, there is obvious potential for getting the area cleared a lot faster than its traditional big match competitor, Clones. Most gaels expect a bit of a delay here or there, and factor it into their schedules, but in saying that the feasability study would have clear action plans for traffic dispersal and adequate parking, otherwise the option would not stand any chance of  approval in the first place.

Secondly, and a point no one else seems to have made.

Antrim is a sleeping giant in Gaa terms. But be certain that some not to distant future a good group of players (hurlers and footballers) will emerge, and with good organisation will compete on equal terms with some of todays so called "aristocrats" of the game. Of that Im absolutely certain.

For a minute cast your minds back to the year 2000. At last Antrim footballers got over the first hurdle, against Down. In a crowd of approx ten thousand, I would hazard a guess that about two or three thousand were Antrim supporters.

Next up was Derry, and I`d guess in a crowd of 14,000, about six thousand were Antrim supporters. As we know the hand of Tohill saved the day for Derry, and we were a point away from an Ulster final.

Now the relevant part. For the replay, Id reckon there was 20,000 spectators. But no doubt the majority were in saffron colours.

My point is Antrim have a massive "dormant" support base. All that is needed to activate this, is a good run of results mixed in with some sensible marketing. In the above example, our c`ship support base went from approx 3K to approx 12K in three weeks.

Just as the Dubs are good for the game, like them or not, Ulster football needs a big strong Antrim support. Because lets be honest, we are the one county that has the real potential to get "new" spectators through the turnstiles.

If Antrim ever get to an Ulster final or beyond, they would attract a support base higher than any other Ulster county. The marketing mens job would be to keep them coming back again.

My final point supports this theory. A big vibrant and professionally run Casement Park, with shops (O Neills, Gaelic Gear etc), branded restaurants, (KFC, Pizza Hut etc) a few well run licensed premises, museum, etc etc, would revitalise the west end of Belfast, and permit Gaelic Games to be seen to be at the forefront of that, in a city with a big soccer culture, but also it must be said with a massive appreciation of its Irish cultural identity.

There are not too many places in Ulster that couldnt be in Belfast in less than an hour, and have no doubt, the spin off in GAA terms is potentially massive.

Main Street

Deal_Me_In

Quote from: bannside on April 07, 2009, 10:55:02 AM
Firstly the so called traffic hold ups. With at least four main exit points from the city, there is obvious potential for getting the area cleared a lot faster than its traditional big match competitor, Clones. Most gaels expect a bit of a delay here or there, and factor it into their schedules, but in saying that the feasability study would have clear action plans for traffic dispersal and adequate parking, otherwise the option would not stand any chance of  approval in the first place.

Bannside, it is nor 'so called' traffic problems at casement, there are genuine traffic problems. The fact that the M1 motorway turnoff is the main route for the majority of the traffic causes problems in itself, the volume of traffic arriving at the same time increases due to the better road up until this point causing a bottleneck effect at the exit, this in turn causes huge tailbacks along the motorway which results in health & safety issues along with other issues such as roadrage and general disruption for non GAA attending people using the cities main arterial routes, for this reason alone a feasibility study would be necessary for all traffic issues. I have been to games in Casement where i have seen people parking on the layby on the M1 which clearly is not a suitable situation.

This is not as much of a problem in Clones as the traffic is more staggered in its approach and more even in it distribution of the roads leading into the town.

I agree with the rest of your approach that Antrim will come good in the future and that their increased support can only be good for the GAA but i feel that Casement present too many problems to be made into a 40,000+ stadium. If location was the main factor without any other consideration the i believe Silverwood in Lurgan would be a prime location for a new stadium, but if the option is to renovate a current stadium to this standard it should be the Athletic Grounds. Yes it has recently got a renovation but it is still behind the standard of Breffni, Clones, Healy Park, Brewster Park, Celtic Park, The Marshes and even Casement, but it is fairly centrally located and more roads leading to the town. Also it is unlikely the majority of the traffic will be coming from the same direction as would be the case in Casement.

armaghniac

QuoteThere are not too many places in Ulster that couldnt be in Belfast in less than an hour,

South Armagh, West Tyrone, almost all of Monaghan, All of Cavan, Fermanagh and Donegal. Oddly enough these places have more interest in the GAA than most of the places which are within one hour of Belfast.  

Multiple exit points are fine if the teams playing are from opposite sides of the city. Clones works well enough for Armagh v Fermanagh or v Cavan where the crowds are approaching from opposite sides of the town.

A redesigned Casement with shops, restaurants etc is a a great idea, and promotion in Antrim is a great idea, the only question is whether it should be a very large stadium or a high quality all seater with 20k capacity. Maybe even make it the only GAA stadium in Ireland with a roof.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Donagh

The Stoops are proposing today that a new stadium should be built behind the Europa bus station.

tyrone86

Quote from: Donagh on April 07, 2009, 12:04:30 PM
The Stoops are proposing today that a new stadium should be built behind the Europa bus station.

Aren't they a week late with that one?

saffron sam2

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on April 07, 2009, 11:27:27 AM
Quote from: bannside on April 07, 2009, 10:55:02 AM

Bannside, it is nor 'so called' traffic problems at casement, there are genuine traffic problems. The fact that the M1 motorway turnoff is the main route for the majority of the traffic causes problems in itself, the volume of traffic arriving at the same time increases due to the better road up until this point causing a bottleneck effect at the exit, this in turn causes huge tailbacks along the motorway which results in health & safety issues along with other issues such as roadrage and general disruption for non GAA attending people using the cities main arterial routes, for this reason alone a feasibility study would be necessary for all traffic issues. I have been to games in Casement where i have seen people parking on the layby on the M1 which clearly is not a suitable situation.

This is not as much of a problem in Clones as the traffic is more staggered in its approach and more even in it distribution of the roads leading into the town.

Your post is clearly ridiculous. Are you suggesting that it is easier to get traffic in and out of a hick town like Clones than the second largest city in Ireland?

Why is everyone obliged to use the M1 to access Casement? Anyone coming up the M1 could easily go through Lisburn and down to Casement via the Stewartstown, Glen or Springfield Roads. You could even use the Upper Lisburn and Malone Roads and park on that side of the M1. It has never taken me longer than 50 minutes to get from my in-laws house just outside Newry to Casement or back regardless of the size of the crowd. It's simply about knowing alternative routes.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

armaghniac

The size of the city is not a great guide to delay, Dublin is the biggest city in Ireland and has long delays. People who show a bit of innovation in their route do OK in Clones also. Personally I am happier to drive around Monaghan with the flags on my car exploring for a better route than I am to drive around Lisburn doing likewise.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The GAA

I really don't think that the GAA need the stadium but if the money is there from the government for it then why not.

On a general point, i think its disappointing that the joint stadium didn't come off as it would have represented a great opportunity to showcase gaelic games across the political divide.

Casement is on a great site but parking is the obvious problem. would there much scope for underground parking initiatives ala the new landsdowne road - maybe coupled with a park and ride scheme for out of town commuters to the city centre? a holistic approach from local government here, including improved roads from lisburn into west belfast (excluding the M1) could pay large dividends for city bound traffic generally.

saffron sam2

Quote from: The GAA on April 07, 2009, 12:21:44 PM
I really don't think that the GAA need the stadium but if the money is there from the government for it then why not.

On a general point, i think its disappointing that the joint stadium didn't come off as it would have represented a great opportunity to showcase gaelic games across the political divide.

Casement is on a great site but parking is the obvious problem. would there much scope for underground parking initiatives ala the new landsdowne road - maybe coupled with a park and ride scheme for out of town commuters to the city centre? a holistic approach from local government here, including improved roads from lisburn into west belfast (excluding the M1) could pay large dividends for city bound traffic generally.

Your post is clearly ridiculous. Casement has no greater parking problem than Croke Park. There are several schools within a half mile radius of Casement Park that would gladly take the money from allowing their car parks to be used on big match days. It is also possible (and no more dangerous than doing so in Dublin) to park on the streets near Casement. I have never parked further than 100 yards from the main entrance to Casement, regardless of the size of the crowd. That's when I'm taxiing the da-in-law.Otherwise I walk.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

The GAA

This may be news to you but most people attending a game in a 50,000 seater casement will not be able to walk. most people will be coming from south of belfast. most people will not know the nooks and crannys to park in around casement.

modern stadiums will be required to plan adequately for parking for a full capacity before they have a hope of getting planning permission. you cannot write on the planning application "i'll be able to park at me uncle frankie's and there's room for 2 more punters on his drive".
You think that Casement can match Croke Park's parking availabilty through the college as it stands now? can't see it myslef and even if it were that would not be enough to satisfy planning laws today

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

cornafean

Quote from: The GAA on April 07, 2009, 12:33:29 PM

modern stadiums will be required to plan adequately for parking for a full capacity before they have a hope of getting planning permission. you cannot write on the planning application "i'll be able to park at me uncle frankie's and there's room for 2 more punters on his drive".

There is bucketloads of onstreet parking around Casement - more in fact than around Clones.

The notion of 10,000/20,000/40,000 punters being herded into multistrorey carparks on a given matchday is nightmarish, to say the least.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

rrhf

Some of you guys would claim to know more than most, quite obvious none of you have ever heard of park n ride which is a pity because it can be a good thing.   A change of culture might require  that we dont expect to get two wheels on the kerb outside the ground entrance when 40 000 people are attending and the "away like a hare" run at the end of the game missing the last point but by the same token getting home first out of 40000 is always a badge worth running people over for. 

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties