Casement upgrade proposed by GAA

Started by never kickt a ball, March 27, 2009, 04:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Casement upgrade proposed by GAA

Ulster GAA bosses are proposing that Casement Park should be upgraded to become the premier gaelic games venue in the province with a 40,000 capacity.

Following Sports Minister Gregory Campbell's decision to abandon the Maze project, he asked the three main sporting bodies to submit their ideas.

The GAA gave its proposals to the minister earlier this week.

The ball is now in the court of government as public money would be required to upgrade Casement.

Last month, the sports minister confirmed the widespread speculation that he had decided not to proceed with the Maze Stadium project.

Mr Campbell said the plan was not value for money and did not have political consensus.

The minister added that he intended to help the Irish Football Association, Ulster Rugby and the GAA to develop solutions to their stadia needs and the three sporting bodies were all asked to come up with proposals.

Ulster GAA bosses have moved quickly to submit their proposals although government's reaction remains to be seen.

Earlier this week, a business consortium, Eastonville Traders Ltd, proposed the building of a new stadium for football and rugby in the Sydenham area of east Belfast.

It said the arena would have a 20,000-capacity and would be built on a 90-acre site beside the Danny Blanchflower Stadium, but would not host GAA fixtures.

However, Ulster Rugby said it is not committed "in any way" to the proposed new stadium in east Belfast.

Ulster Rugby added that the lack of "any appropriate business case" meant it does not form part of its plans to develop stadia for the sport.

The IFA said it would welcome any proposals "provided the finances stack up".
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7968494.stm

Published: 2009/03/27 15:28:21 GMT

© BBC MMIX

armaghniac

Improve Casement, get some loot from Gregory. Keep Clones and improve it a bit for games involving combinations of teams far from Belfast. Problem solved.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

A Quinn Martin Production

As an Antrim man, Belfast born,(though exiled in the West) this is good news :)  Though I have to admit not everyone might agree
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Smart lad ;) However I've a terrible grudge against Casement Park, so not that many might agree with me.
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

I think some objections, including Ziggy's, might be overcome if Casement came under new Ulster council management. This would mean proper stewarding and not a mates club who think they are running a paramilitary demonstration.  

Maguire01

Whilst i would obviously prefer to see Clones maintained as the province's main ground, this is clearly a better option than building a new stadium.

However, i feel the Ulster Council should have proposed a 25-30,000 capacity for Casement and concentrate on making the ground very high-spec at that capacity - i.e. go for a fully enclosed stadium with full modern facilities, rather than just trying to increase capacity to a level that might be justified once a year. Even Clones is under-used as it stands. Ulster doesn't need another big massive stadium - it just needs better quality.

mylestheslasher

A much better option than the waste of money new stadium plan. There are enough grounds in Ulster. There may be an argument for upgrading one but to be honest i'm not so sure there is.

armaghniac

QuoteTake the money go to the Maze where the land would be for free and bring in the rugby people.

TYP there aren't any stadiums in Ireland away from a town. I really don't think one would be desirable.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 27, 2009, 07:37:07 PM
Casement as a 40,000 stadium is nonsense.  Poor access, no parking and smack in the middle of a residental area.

Take the money go to the Maze where the land would be for free and bring in the rugby people.

Casement is sentiment over practicality.
With you and Maguire. I think a gaa/rugby share would be more palatable for both camps than including Fearon's mates and Casement just isn't the solution. It's a bloody nightmare now at a sparsely attended hurling match never mind an Ulster football final! A 25-30k capacity stadium with plenty of parking, amenities, access for all etc is the preferable option if the money can be got.

Donagh

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 27, 2009, 07:37:07 PM
Casement as a 40,000 stadium is nonsense.  Poor access, no parking and smack in the middle of a residental area.

Take the money go to the Maze where the land would be for free and bring in the rugby people.

Casement is sentiment over practicality.

Was what I was thinking.

mylestheslasher

8 games in last yrs ulster championship, how many had a capacity crowd at it?

ziggysego

Quote from: armaghniac on March 27, 2009, 05:43:25 PM
I think some objections, including Ziggy's, might be overcome if Casement came under new Ulster council management. This would mean proper stewarding and not a mates club who think they are running a paramilitary demonstration.  

Would need to be a complete clean out.

However I'm inclined to agree with what TYP is suggesting. Getting Ulster Rugby involved and go to the Maze. Let the IFA do what they want.

Build a stadium we can be proud of.
Testing Accessibility