Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

Shay McCartan released by Bradford City. Would love to see him back playing GAA before the end of his prime years. I've never marked a player as quick and explosive as he was underage and a lethal finisher

wobbller

Quote from: wobbller on May 19, 2020, 10:49:17 PM
Quote from: Lotto on May 19, 2020, 08:47:24 PM
Quote from: wobbller on May 18, 2020, 08:48:07 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 17, 2020, 11:36:49 PM
Quote from: CornUladh02 on May 17, 2020, 11:28:15 PM
Quote from: Lotto on May 17, 2020, 03:50:14 PM
Quote from: wobbller on May 17, 2020, 01:39:01 PM

Quote from: Nanderson on May 17, 2020, 01:34:15 PM
Name the club then if you are already prepared to spread idle gossip on the matter
If I had wanted to name the Clubs I would have done so 3 or 4 posts ago.Paid help justifying their outrageous weekly wages.

It's common knowledge that the clubs in question were caught training at Milltown and Derryleckagh.
I would find it extraordinary and very hard to believe that clubs had full training sessions at council venues during lockdown.

That's because it didn't happen.

One place you're not going to train is on a field that is just far enough away from a public road to not be able to stop someone taking photos, but just close enough to a public road for any modern camera to identify faces.

Anyway other wobller the problem here isn't that the GAABoard is mighty, or important or even influential. But there's someone in every club in our county has read this thread now, and has subsequently circulated the question around their own club. And people will stress and promote paranoia as a result.

So it's a Chinese whisper.

Maybe that's what you wanted, to entertain yourself.

But it's shitty behaviour imho.
Lotto has the answers

Even worse that one of them was apparently pretending to be their local soccer team when asked what they were at.
Ah go on Lotto—put them all out of their misery.
Too quiet on here this week.Lotto is not spilling the beans but
what I heard was that it was Burren and CPN who were the culprits
caught training on local Council pitches.

Lotto

Quote from: wobbller on May 27, 2020, 09:23:48 PM

Name the club then if you are already prepared to spread idle gossip on the matter
If I had wanted to name the Clubs I would have done so 3 or 4 posts ago.Paid help justifying their outrageous weekly wages.

It's common knowledge that the clubs in question were caught training at Milltown and Derryleckagh.
I would find it extraordinary and very hard to believe that clubs had full training sessions at council venues during lockdown.

One place you're not going to train is on a field that is just far enough away from a public road to not be able to stop someone taking photos, but just close enough to a public road for any modern camera to identify faces.

Anyway other wobller the problem here isn't that the GAABoard is mighty, or important or even influential. But there's someone in every club in our county has read this thread now, and has subsequently circulated the question around their own club. And people will stress and promote paranoia as a result.

Lotto has the answers

Even worse that one of them was apparently pretending to be their local soccer team when asked what they were at.
You took the words right out of my mouth, read between the lines and that's what I have been saying. Bad form and this was actually weeks ago during the heart of this pandemic and not just the last week or two.

general

Quote from: Nanderson on May 26, 2020, 07:47:47 PM
Shay McCartan released by Bradford City. Would love to see him back playing GAA before the end of his prime years. I've never marked a player as quick and explosive as he was underage and a lethal finisher

Unfortunately its not going to happen. Speaking with Shay on Thurs evening. Awaiting the Outcome of the current EFL talks etc.

His words were "nobody's doing nothing at the minute, clubs need to know when they are back so they can plan ahead"

He has spoke to previous club Accrington Stanley and is hopeful of a return should there be a bit of cleaning up on the way forward over the next few weeks

Lotto

Quote from: Lotto on May 28, 2020, 07:49:15 AM
Quote from: wobbller on May 27, 2020, 09:23:48 PM

Lotto has the answers

You took the words right out of my mouth, read between the lines and that's what I have been saying. Bad form and this was actually weeks ago during the heart of this pandemic and not just the last week or two.
No comment from the big mouth pieces of both of these clubs, the truth must really hurt.

Smurfy123

I think you will find 6 lads meeting up doing some exercise on a council pitch which has reopened is well within the guidelines as long as social distancing is maintained.
Am I missing something here? I can assure you no one has been training on our pitch. Let me make that very very clear.

SamFever

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 30, 2020, 08:27:23 AM
I think you will find 6 lads meeting up doing some exercise on a council pitch which has reopened is well within the guidelines as long as social distancing is maintained.
Am I missing something here? I can assure you no one has been training on our pitch. Let me make that very very clear.
You tell them Smurfy!! Spreading slander like that😃😃😃

Lotto

Quote from: SamFever on May 30, 2020, 09:42:51 PM
You tell them Smurfy!! Spreading slander like that😃😃😃

I said previously that the Point training at Milltown was weeks ago during the early stages of total lockdown, you are admitting it took place at this time then. As for the Burren walkway around the pitches also being open for weeks now or possibly never even closing, who do these people think they are? I'm not even going to mention them training at Derryleckagh also a number of weeks ago.

wobbller

Smurfy,your sh-te about 6 lads meeting up was illegal when these incidences occured.The usual tripe
from you defending Dominic Rabb types.

SamFever

The CoronaVirus situation has really affected some people in Down GAA circles.Today in the Irish News see's our County Hurling Manager list the top Celtic players that he has watched over the years . Sweet J-sus.Bad enough my own Club man dropping in every so often about his great love of Liverpool Soccer but this...a new low!
  Please God we can get back to the GAA-normal way of things soon as this is embarrassing.

supersub

Embarrassing? Newspapers trying to fill columns after 12 weeks of no sport is embarrassing? It's a credit to them to keep going. Some perspective on life needed.

SamFever

Quote from: supersub on June 04, 2020, 10:32:53 AM
Embarrassing? Newspapers trying to fill columns after 12 weeks of no sport is embarrassing? It's a credit to them to keep going. Some perspective on life needed.
Oh dear,another LLL ;D ;D ;D. lol

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/se%C3%A1n-moran-summer-s-mosaic-slips-away-one-small-tile-at-a-time-1.4268981

"It was cold beyond belief when I got to Ballykinlar back on an April evening in 1990. My car had been making an ailing noise for the latter part of the journey but a complete lack of any mechanical understanding helped to persuade me that I'd be home before the matter needed any drastic attention.

Down footballers had, in manager Peter McGrath's first year, made the upcoming league semi-final. I had formed an enthusiast's view that were worth keeping an eye on after a league match against Cavan in Breffni Park. If Linden and McCartan weren't quite yet Lennon and McCartney, I was still impressed by the attacking style.

In Ballykinlar when the training session in the shadow of the large military installation had finished, a couple of kindly souls, including selector John Murphy, offered to lead me out to the Dublin road.

My car wheezed and struggled and eventually ground to a halt in Castlewellan where the clutch was deemed "away". In a very GAA deliverance the treacherous vehicle was pushed off the road into the driveway of the county minor manager, Gerry Dougherty, who then organised somewhere for me to stay.
The next day another selector Barney Treanor, a busy farmer, towed me to Newry to get the clutch replaced.

Down would run Meath very close in the league final and of course 16 months later beat them in the All-Ireland final to become the first county in 23 years from outside Munster or Leinster to win the Sam Maguire.

At the Down press night before that 1991 All-Ireland, Newry was packed on a sunny September evening. I met both John Murphy and Barney Treanor on the field and said that the traffic around Páirc Esler had been so crazy that I had been forced to park the car miles away.

John looked at me sceptically and replied: "We don't want to hear anything about your car."

Both of them died this year, Barney in February and John the week before last. Although I hadn't bumped into either in aeons, I will always remember their kindness 30 years ago and the exhilarating adventure of the football team they helped to assemble.

We'll miss them, especially whenever the games return and the great drama resumes."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

wobbller

Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2020, 02:51:08 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/se%C3%A1n-moran-summer-s-mosaic-slips-away-one-small-tile-at-a-time-1.4268981

"It was cold beyond belief when I got to Ballykinlar back on an April evening in 1990. My car had been making an ailing noise for the latter part of the journey but a complete lack of any mechanical understanding helped to persuade me that I'd be home before the matter needed any drastic attention.

Down footballers had, in manager Peter McGrath's first year, made the upcoming league semi-final. I had formed an enthusiast's view that were worth keeping an eye on after a league match against Cavan in Breffni Park. If Linden and McCartan weren't quite yet Lennon and McCartney, I was still impressed by the attacking style.

In Ballykinlar when the training session in the shadow of the large military installation had finished, a couple of kindly souls, including selector John Murphy, offered to lead me out to the Dublin road.

My car wheezed and struggled and eventually ground to a halt in Castlewellan where the clutch was deemed "away". In a very GAA deliverance the treacherous vehicle was pushed off the road into the driveway of the county minor manager, Gerry Dougherty, who then organised somewhere for me to stay.
The next day another selector Barney Treanor, a busy farmer, towed me to Newry to get the clutch replaced.

Down would run Meath very close in the league final and of course 16 months later beat them in the All-Ireland final to become the first county in 23 years from outside Munster or Leinster to win the Sam Maguire.

At the Down press night before that 1991 All-Ireland, Newry was packed on a sunny September evening. I met both John Murphy and Barney Treanor on the field and said that the traffic around Páirc Esler had been so crazy that I had been forced to park the car miles away.

John looked at me sceptically and replied: "We don't want to hear anything about your car."

Both of them died this year, Barney in February and John the week before last. Although I hadn't bumped into either in aeons, I will always remember their kindness 30 years ago and the exhilarating adventure of the football team they helped to assemble.

We'll miss them, especially whenever the games return and the great drama resumes."
Two good men.

Mourne Red

Load of Balls Podcast had PJ Magee on this week, brilliant listen if anyone has a spare couple of hours.. Best manager/coach I've ever had, good to hear him talk about his career and what he thinks of modern players compared to past players. Great interview