Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Aye I wasn't aware of the time constraints either. And it's only now that I have started to try and claim it back that people have told me about it.

Tony how long after your final completion did you claim the VAT back?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Sportacus

Each to their own, but we have underfloor and love it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 07, 2012, 05:16:00 PM
Aye I wasn't aware of the time constraints either. And it's only now that I have started to try and claim it back that people have told me about it.

Tony how long after your final completion did you claim the VAT back?
I checked with the missus who is the boss of such affairs. She says we did it within 3 months but there was some discrepancy and they sent it back to us. Best you can do is ring and enquire.

balladmaker

A question regarding wall mounted TV's.  If you wish to keep the Sky box, DVD etc. completely seperate from the TV, say in another room for example, what cables are recommended to run to the TV.  Someone who reckon they know about such things advised that, to future proof, I run 2 coax and 3 cat5e or cat6 to any TV point, working on the basis that you can send hdmi signals across cat5e/6 also.

Any advice would be appreciated.

lawnseed

saw this today. zero emissions green. show house blah blah about 3miles outside middletown on the armagh road might be worth a look
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on March 29, 2012, 10:03:20 PM
saw this today. zero emissions green. show house blah blah about 3miles outside middletown on the armagh road might be worth a look
Sounds near me! Whereabouts exactly Lawnseed?

lawnseed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 29, 2012, 10:09:46 PM
just opposite the big layby on the middletown side of mcconnells shop near the cottages

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on March 29, 2012, 10:21:05 PM
just opposite the big layby on the middletown side of mcconnells shop near the cottages
Aye thought it was that one. They built it behind trees so was hard to get a decent nosey at it.

lawnseed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 29, 2012, 10:26:03 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on March 29, 2012, 10:21:05 PM
Aye thought it was that one. They built it behind trees so was hard to get a decent nosey at it.
theyve a big sign up inviting you to look no need to nosey

Thefisherking

Quote from: balladmaker on March 28, 2012, 11:16:23 AM
A question regarding wall mounted TV's.  If you wish to keep the Sky box, DVD etc. completely seperate from the TV, say in another room for example, what cables are recommended to run to the TV.  Someone who reckon they know about such things advised that, to future proof, I run 2 coax and 3 cat5e or cat6 to any TV point, working on the basis that you can send hdmi signals across cat5e/6 also.

The advice you got was totally correct. Run 2 coax and Cat 5e/6 to each point. This will futureproof you for most eventualities inc. 3D.

You can use these to extend the range of your Sky+ box http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Extender-Cat5e-network-cable/dp/B005SFO6RA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_4

I wish i'd thought of it before, ended up having to track the walls again. Nasty job.

Agent Orange

No rates payable on these passive houses for 5 years.

lawnseed

Quote from: Agent Orange on March 30, 2012, 07:13:02 PM
what about the value after the five years dont you think they stick the boot in when it came to rateable

Agent Orange

Quote from: lawnseed on March 30, 2012, 07:16:38 PM
what about the value after the five years dont you think they stick the boot in when it came to rateable

They always stick the boot in, still its something.

Where exactly is this house, I wouldn't mind a look. Wonder how much extra it costs.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Agent Orange on March 30, 2012, 07:39:18 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on March 30, 2012, 07:16:38 PM

They always stick the boot in, still its something.

Where exactly is this house, I wouldn't mind a look. Wonder how much extra it costs.
Monaghan Road between Armagh and Middletown. Head past Linwoods for about a mile and it is on the right hand side just past Rosie's shop/petrol pumps on the straight.

Ulick

Quote from: balladmaker on March 28, 2012, 11:16:23 AM

For future proofing, forget about Cat5e, you want to have Cat6. Cat7 is too expensive for the pay-off. You'll definitely get a HDMI signal down Cat6 but not assured down Cat5e. If you are getting your house wired at the moment just run as much as you can as they'll always come in handy in the future if not even for your telly (e.g. alarms, cctv, telephone, home automation). Into our sitting room, I have four runs of Cat6 (telly plugs into one for internet widgets, two and three run back to home server for HD video over IP on server, four is used for remote control of server and satellite box in the garage). Also have a four Coax runs to sitting room (one for FM aerial for RTE, one for Freeview/RTE aerial and the other two I'm keeping for a new Freesat & Saorsat dish I'm building. In all the other rooms I have two Cat6 runs and two Coax, some rooms take telephone and others music players, internet radio, tellys, alarms and a wireless access point for mobile devices. All hardware is located in the garage, no wires anywhere in the house and if you choose your equipment well you can control the whole lot from one universal remote control. Also don't forget to track in your surround sound speakers.