Back home for christmas

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, December 21, 2008, 11:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhugh

The romantic notion of Christmas at home rarely lives up to expectations.I had'nt had a Christmas at home for 6 years and thought that I was really missing out on something.Came home one Christmas and could'nt get back to the states quick enough to be honest.The family rows,the drunken arguments in the pub that were the same shite that you had listened to ten years previously from the other side of the counter.Too many adults and all their kids spending too much time under one roof in your parents house......it's not natural.It's like the old saying "it's easier to be Irish away from Ireland". Stay where yer at lads and at least have the chance of enjoying it.That ten minute drunken chat with the family is probably the best it can get,you get to send all your love and cherish the rosy memories of childhood Christmasses without all the dung that goes with actually being there......with your wife huffing cos you're not at her parents house,which you're going to on Stephen's day anyway!!

Bod Mor

Quote from: stephenite on November 03, 2009, 12:19:24 AM
Will be home for 3 and a half weeks - looking forward to it. Will be the last visit for quite a few years I'd imagine

Same here. Was home in August for that sh!te Mayo/Meath match, have to go back at Christmas for family reasons. Only for that I'd have a holiday in Hawaii or somewhere  :'(
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Puckoon

Havnt been home in almost 3 years due to one thing or another. Planning a big trip next august.

The whole puck clan is coming over for Christmas this year, first christmas together in 5 years. There'll be skiing, music, great food and hopefully the folks will get a kick out of wee puck on Christmas morning.

For the first time in years I am looking forward to the holidays.

Aerlik

Quote from: redhugh on November 03, 2009, 01:17:09 AM
The romantic notion of Christmas at home rarely lives up to expectations...Too many adults and all their kids spending too much time under one roof in your parents house......it's not natural...That ten minute drunken chat with the family is probably the best it can get,you get to send all your love and cherish the rosy memories of childhood Christmasses without all the dung that goes with actually being there......with your wife huffing cos you're not at her parents house,which you're going to on Stephen's day anyway!!
Fcuk, don't get me started.  I haven't been in Ireland at Xmas in 15 years and to be honest it is difficult, but the shite that goes with it drives me to head to the beach even earlier on Xmas morning.
Mini-me is now asking what Xmas was like when I was a wane, and it is so nice to reminisce with him.  My parents and neighbours ensured that Xmas was really special and I'm happy to live with that.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!