LA Earthquake

Started by Shamrock Shore, July 05, 2019, 01:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Hey - I was on the ground in LA for this but don't worry - I'm fine!

George Clooney to play me in upcoming biopic.

(TBH we felt the car shake a bit)

Hope that wasn't the minor match  8)

omaghjoe

Just my second quake in a right few years and throughly unimpressed with them so far.  :D First one was like a tipper had went down the street.this was a Kinda rolling quake like you were on a boat.
But.....
I've researched them a bit and tried to be kinda half prepared if and when the big one hits and it's a worry when you do feel one. Comms and transport biggest concern. Esp as the family was in different spots when it hit so all that goes thru your head....thankfully tho it was only a wee wan

Shamrock Shore

Just gone through another one sitting in a diner. Again slight tremor.

omaghjoe

Think that was the senior match!

Defo had me worried a bit that one

gawa316

Felt that one today, lasted a good 15-20 secs

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

Would these not be a warning for more?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 06, 2019, 02:53:19 PM

The USGS estimates the chance of more aftershocks as follows: Within the next 1 Week until 2019-07-13 15:00:00 (UTC):

The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 3 or higher is > 99 %, and it is most likely that as few as 240 or as many as 410 such earthquakes may occur in the case that the sequence is re-invigorated by a larger aftershock.
The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 5 or higher is 96 %, and it is most likely that as few as 0 or as many as 8 such earthquakes may occur.
The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 6 or higher is 27 %, and it is most likely that as few as 0 or as many as 2 such earthquakes may occur.
The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 7 or higher is 3 %, such an earthquake is possible but with a low probability.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci38457511/oaf/commentary?fbclid=IwAR0ZaSuRgo6JWCD43iXG7UzE918nR5AYlMDKnmHnxc5q4T2CEwWTeyFTIJg
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 06, 2019, 02:53:19 PM

Maybe....maybe not.....

Lucy Jones says....
....there is a 10% risk of another bigger one within a week when a tremor occurs.

The shaking can trigger another fault but this fault system is likely too far from the big fault (the san Andreas) to trigger a slip on it.

These quakes are mostly a warning that we have quakes in California

Eamonnca1

I remember feeling a little cluster of them in San Francisco years ago, there was a few within a couple of days of each other. Nothing major though, just the usual sharp little jolts that are over by the time you've noticed them. A lot of the time I don't feel them because I'm in the car.