China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbat

Was listening to a discussion on this on the radio few weeks ago. Caller was on about fines for Covid breaches but more so for anti-social issues in general. He made the point that a lot of fines are meaningless and in some areas just ignored, do a couple of days in the clink or its an arrangement to deduct a few pound from benefits and what the hell. He proposed for minor infringements your passport is suspended for 6 months, it increases by offence till eventual removal.

Thought there was some merit to it for the scumbags who are in court every week for various minor offences but I can only imagine how the civil liberties groups would react. Though losing their two weeks in Tenerife maybe a lot more of a deterrent that 100 quid fine or a suspended sentence to some of them.

Smurfy123

Interesting week ahead in the north
If numbers go up the government have made a balls up regarding letting the country go mad for a week
If numbers don't go up the close contact services and retail don't add to the numbers
Interesting week ahead
Keep an eye on the cases

Seaney

Surely it will be in 2 or 3 weeks whether these figures are known!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: NAG1 on November 25, 2020, 01:08:21 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 25, 2020, 01:01:12 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on November 25, 2020, 12:52:57 PM
I know it's incredibly complex for governments but I'm sorry there is only so much they can do, if people are gonna be c***ts and go about in their droves, boozing, mixing, not wearing a mask etc what can you do ? The risks are well known at this stage

One word - Tazer.

I would have went for something stronger I think in the Holylands the other night. How many warnings do these individuals need?

Get on like that and then all head home and spread it around their families just in time for Christmas.

In no way sticking up for the students here, but people aren't stupid either. The numbers that are doing the rounds in schools are massive. Over 1k cases now and this number is largely supressed (unsurprisingly).

It's allowed to spread freely from schools. Seriously, what are we doing? Are other countries ignoring school transmission in their figures and we in the North are idiots? Our numbers here do not make sense whatsoever. Are we accepting the cost of free transmission in order to keep schools open? If we can close down basically everything today for the sake of the country, could we not have pulled the plug on the schools for that two weeks too?

There is a reason the public health site is so difficult to navigate with regards to this area I feel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54920050
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54656456
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54593770

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 27, 2020, 09:38:23 AM
I know it's incredibly complex for governments but I'm sorry there is only so much they can do, if people are gonna be c***ts and go about in their droves, boozing, mixing, not wearing a mask etc what can you do ? The risks are well known at this stage

One word - Tazer.

I would have went for something stronger I think in the Holylands the other night. How many warnings do these individuals need?

Get on like that and then all head home and spread it around their families just in time for Christmas.

In no way sticking up for the students here, but people aren't stupid either. The numbers that are doing the rounds in schools are massive. Over 1k cases now and this number is largely supressed (unsurprisingly).

It's allowed to spread freely from schools. Seriously, what are we doing? Are other countries ignoring school transmission in their figures and we in the North are idiots? Our numbers here do not make sense whatsoever. Are we accepting the cost of free transmission in order to keep schools open? If we can close down basically everything today for the sake of the country, could we not have pulled the plug on the schools for that two weeks too?

There is a reason the public health site is so difficult to navigate with regards to this area I feel.

Theres 350k pupils in NI.

GetOverTheBar

Yes, are we happy to accept that 350k for the sake of these two weeks are still allowed to betray the concept of the lockdown?

It will basically undermine the whole principal surely.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 27, 2020, 09:52:37 AM
Yes, are we happy to accept that 350k for the sake of these two weeks are still allowed to betray the concept of the lockdown?

Dunne's is staying open beacause it sells cups & cushions.

GetOverTheBar

Not really addressing the point though.

350k of about 1.8 million people is about a 5th of the total population.

This is actually ridiculous.

armaghniac

Anything remaining open reduces the effectiveness of the lockdown. However, other places, including the 26 counties have signficantly reduced their rates while keeping schools open.

I'd say schools vary greatly in their efforts, if every school was as good as the best school in its hygiene then things might do rightly.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Saffrongael

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 27, 2020, 09:38:23 AM

One word - Tazer.

The problem in the schools is the number of pupils have to self isolate
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Seaney

Quote from: armaghniac on November 27, 2020, 10:56:00 AM

Anything remaining open reduces the effectiveness of the lockdown. However, other places, including the 26 counties have signficantly reduced their rates while keeping schools open.

I'd say schools vary greatly in their efforts, if every school was as good as the best school in its hygiene then things might do rightly.

Sure blame the schools, what about transport too and from, I have seen buses where even the driver isn't wearing a mask.

Hound

So for the 26 is looks like:

Tuesday 1 December - everything open apart from pubs and restaurants
Monday 7 December - restaurants and gastropubs allowed open
Household gatherings will only be permitted from 18 December to 3 January but certain restrictions (i.e. there'll be a max number)

So it looks like "wet" pubs won't be allowed open at all!
And the term "gastropubs" has only come into this conversation in recent days. I haven't seen it confirmed but it appears "gastropub" may mean a chef has to be on site, so no bringing grub in from the chipper next door, etc.

This seems really harsh on publicans.

I can understand the need for precaution, especially when it comes to alcohol, but I'd also let's treat everyone like adults and ask them to be responsible.

I haven't seen any talk of an alcohol curfew in Ireland, but I think early closing would help reduce infractions. I would be strongly in favour of opening pubs in a controlled environment, table service only, max of 6 (or even 4) per table, masks to be worn when you get up from the table, distances between tables, sanitisers available, last orders 10pm.

I think the argument that people will go to house parties when they leave the pub is very weak. The vast majority of people have no interest in house parties in the current climate, and those that do will be more likely to attend parties if the pubs are closed. 

five points

I agree with all those points Hound. It's as if the government wants rid of non-food pubs, permanently.

armaghniac

Quote from: Hound on November 27, 2020, 02:58:34 PM
So it looks like "wet" pubs won't be allowed open at all!
And the term "gastropubs" has only come into this conversation in recent days. I haven't seen it confirmed but it appears "gastropub" may mean a chef has to be on site, so no bringing grub in from the chipper next door, etc.

This seems really harsh on publicans.

I can understand the need for precaution, especially when it comes to alcohol, but I'd also let's treat everyone like adults and ask them to be responsible.

The issue is not fairness to publicans, but whether you spread the disease.
The whole way people use restaurants is different from pubs. You to a restaurant with a group, you sit at your own table and eat and do not generally interact with other customers. You drink some, but usually not enough to make you a bollix. In pubs, you go to meet people, and many people go to pubs for a session, with every intention of becoming a bollix. As for the gastro pub, many pubs were making a mockery of the food rules and this is presumably an attempt to prevent that. And a genuine food bill makes it less likely that people will go from place to place in some sort of bizarre twelve pubs of Xmas.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

joemamas

Quote from: five points on November 27, 2020, 03:18:28 PM
I agree with all those points Hound. It's as if the government wants rid of non-food pubs, permanently.

it is a crazy decision.
lump all the small country pubs that might hold 20-30 on a really busy night, in with mega pubs that can hold 400 or 500 people.
just a lazy ass answer by civil servants and politicians based in Dublin and other big metropolitan areas. who most likely have never run a business.
I used to think that the the two Kerry TD's were right old eegits. I now regret that thought.
Ireland either needs a rural Ireland political party, or an organized coalition of similar minded elected politicians.
My opinion is this decision will be the nail in the coffin for hundreds of small local pubs, which in one respect act as a social club for older folk who go out once or twice a week to have a laugh and a talk with friends and neighbors.