Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PadraicHenryPearse

he picked up an injury/carryingba knock to his right ankle I think when he won a free early in the 2nd half

Orchard park

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 08, 2018, 08:12:30 PM
Can anyone from Roscommon tell me why Ciaran Murtagh was taken off with 20 minutes to play? he was one of the stand out forwards on show with 0-6 scored including 4 outstanding points from the play and the lad that replaced him looked out of his depth.

Have to wait for Syferus statistical analysis.

I just thoughtvhe had emptied the tank......

Rossfan

He had been down injured a short while earlier.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on July 08, 2018, 08:25:32 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 08, 2018, 08:12:30 PM
Can anyone from Roscommon tell me why Ciaran Murtagh was taken off with 20 minutes to play? he was one of the stand out forwards on show with 0-6 scored including 4 outstanding points from the play and the lad that replaced him looked out of his depth.

Have to wait for Syferus statistical analysis.

I just thoughtvhe had emptied the tank......

He burnt out. The pass where he got swallowed by his man while waiting for the ball showed that. His man accelerated away from him with the ball. He put in an absolutely excellent performance but he needed to be subbed because of that. The two Creggs, Paterson and Daly were all involved in the final scores and ran the legs off an Armagh defence that totally hit the wall in the final ten minutes.

The 'injury' Rossfan refered to was a free he won and was about to take quick but Donie went over to him signalling him to stay on the floor as it was during a patch when Armagh had momentum after their own goal. He definitely wasn't injured.

illdecide

I think some people are losing the run of themselves here...Roscommon won the match fair and square, yes Armagh missed a penalty and one or two other goal chances but i remember clearly Roscommon missing several goal chances too (fairly even on that regard). Armagh's mid field were second best but the thing that pissed me off was not pushing up on Roscommon's kick out's specially the first half, that was criminal. All in all i was pleased with our performance knowing we could have been stronger and the matches every week in that heat took it's toll. The two Crossmaglen men corner backs would have been fantastic there yesterday as i doubt Smith would have burst through James Morgan in the full back line as easy, but could'a, would'a, should'a and all that...

I hope Roscommon do well in the Super 8's and it would have been nice to get in there but it wasn't to be...looks like we're going to get a few smashing games in the coming weeks...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Owen Brannigan

The sheer strength shown by big men breaking through defences in both the Roscommon and Kildare games was something to behold.  There was no answer to it by either Armagh or Fermanagh.  The size difference was a factor in the Armagh game where most of our men were out sized and out muscled by Roscommon and couldn't cope without giving away the foul.  The big Roscommon men will have the same advantage against Tyrone.

Definitely getting to an Ulster final must be the best route for Armagh to get to the Super 8 as the four games in five weeks took its toll and the prospect of three even harder games would have been daunting from a physical and mental tiredness aspect.

yellowcard

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/they-were-fg-useless-back-then-and-theyre-still-fg-useless-kieran-mcgeeney-blasts-armagh-critics-37095120.html

I do wonder who exactly McGeeney is referring to here, can't seem to work out who it might be since I have not heard much criticism of the team this year apart from after the Fermanagh match.

It's obviously something he wanted to get off his chest.

illdecide

Quote from: yellowcard on July 09, 2018, 11:56:01 AM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/they-were-fg-useless-back-then-and-theyre-still-fg-useless-kieran-mcgeeney-blasts-armagh-critics-37095120.html

I do wonder who exactly McGeeney is referring to here, can't seem to work out who it might be since I have not heard much criticism of the team this year apart from after the Fermanagh match.

Yip me too, read that in today's Irish News. I wasn't sure who he was getting at as I don't remember any specific rants from individuals. Maybe it's the keyboard warrior brigade? Dunno TBH
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

yellowcard

Quote from: illdecide on July 09, 2018, 12:07:59 PM

Yip me too, read that in today's Irish News. I wasn't sure who he was getting at as I don't remember any specific rants from individuals. Maybe it's the keyboard warrior brigade? Dunno TBH

Whoever they are he played against them when they were useless. Presumably they are county players then since he didn't play club football in Armagh after he transferred to Dublin. For the life of me I cannot figure out who he is talking about as he hasn't got much criticism from pundits on tv this year to the best of my knowledge and most of those type of pundits were top players so they certainly wouldn't fall into the useless category. Honestly haven't a clue who he is referring to. You would have thought that the journalist would have asked him the obvious follow up question. 

Hound

Quote from: illdecide on July 09, 2018, 12:07:59 PM

Did McGeeney not have a go at people who write negative stuff on "message boards" recently? Almost certain I heard that on the GAA hour. It was specifically "message boards" rather than facebook, twitter, etc.

brokencrossbar1

Well he played against me a fair few times and I've never hidden my identity so perhaps I'm one of them ;D. That being said I don't whisper in the ears of young players and tell them anything. He is right though if he is referring to me...I was shite back then but not in the AI club final in 2000  ;)

Itchy

Can someone translate what he is saying in the quoted parts as I have read it 3 times and still dont know what he is talking about.

Throw ball

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 09, 2018, 01:35:28 PM
Well he played against me a fair few times and I've never hidden my identity so perhaps I'm one of them ;D. That being said I don't whisper in the ears of young players and tell them anything. He is right though if he is referring to me...I was shite back then but not in the AI club final in 2000  ;)

To be fair I would be surprised if internet comments would worry Geezer too much. When I read the comments it was more the whispering in the ear as you describe that I thought he was on about.

smelmoth

I said before the game that we are a very difficult team to analyse and even now 2 days after our last game of the season that remains the case.

The big positive for me is that we stuck with our brand of football. Maybe that is because we knew that Roscommon would allow us to play. We still don't know if we would have had the guts to play this way against a defensive team.
There are number of positives on the playing side with players stepping up to this level.

I don't buy into the idea that we went toe-to-toe with Roscommon. We traded scores, the lead on the scoreboard and each team attacked the other but toe-to-toe suggests we engaged in the battle across the pitch. That we did not do. I get infuriated when we automatically concede the possession on kick outs. Roscommon fans pointed out that they could believe that we could do this as it was well known that they lacked aerial strength at midfielder and had lost a midfielder before throw in. It now seems that the RTE pundits had identified this as a big issue. We gave them a free ride. That is not toe-to-toe. Its more head-in-hands. When you think about our long standing issue with stopping teams running at us through the middle the concession of possession at kick outs and letting Roscommon run right at us was criminal.

I would be hugely surprised if McGeeney is not there again next year but those who decide these things and ratify his appointment and that of his backroom must surely ask questions about their performance when it comes to relatively simple tactical ploys that seem to be our undoing. We need to improve on small things that can be got right if you have the Dublin panel to pick from or Waterford panel.

On with the club championship. If we could get a few boys back or unearth a few we really could do with pace in the full back line (McCabe needs moved back to half back where he could have a bid future), more scoring power and options in the forwards (big totals against weaker or "open" teams doesn't necessarily mean you can work the scores against bigger or more defensive teams) and a bit more all round ability in midfield (some of the younger guys don't yet have the power to bully opposition and some of the older heads are dithering on the ball).

A young team so we shouldn't be too badly impacted by retirements. There are 6/7 months before a ball is kicked in anger. Now is the time to reach out to see if the reasons for non-availability can be addressed. Who knows what that might or might not yield. Only one way to find out.   

Syferus

Quote from: smelmoth on July 09, 2018, 01:52:22 PM
I said before the game that we are a very difficult team to analyse and even now 2 days after our last game of the season that remains the case.

The big positive for me is that we stuck with our brand of football. Maybe that is because we knew that Roscommon would allow us to play. We still don't know if we would have had the guts to play this way against a defensive team.
There are number of positives on the playing side with players stepping up to this level.

I don't buy into the idea that we went toe-to-toe with Roscommon. We traded scores, the lead on the scoreboard and each team attacked the other but toe-to-toe suggests we engaged in the battle across the pitch. That we did not do. I get infuriated when we automatically concede the possession on kick outs. Roscommon fans pointed out that they could believe that we could do this as it was well known that they lacked aerial strength at midfielder and had lost a midfielder before throw in. It now seems that the RTE pundits had identified this as a big issue. We gave them a free ride. That is not toe-to-toe. Its more head-in-hands. When you think about our long standing issue with stopping teams running at us through the middle the concession of possession at kick outs and letting Roscommon run right at us was criminal.

I would be hugely surprised if McGeeney is not there again next year but those who decide these things and ratify his appointment and that of his backroom must surely ask questions about their performance when it comes to relatively simple tactical ploys that seem to be our undoing. We need to improve on small things that can be got right if you have the Dublin panel to pick from or Waterford panel.

On with the club championship. If we could get a few boys back or unearth a few we really could do with pace in the full back line (McCabe needs moved back to half back where he could have a bid future), more scoring power and options in the forwards (big totals against weaker or "open" teams doesn't necessarily mean you can work the scores against bigger or more defensive teams) and a bit more all round ability in midfield (some of the younger guys don't yet have the power to bully opposition and some of the older heads are dithering on the ball).

A young team so we shouldn't be too badly impacted by retirements. There are 6/7 months before a ball is kicked in anger. Now is the time to reach out to see if the reasons for non-availability can be addressed. Who knows what that might or might not yield. Only one way to find out.

I'd love to know the 'Roscommon supporters' who thought Ultan Harney was a midfielder.. by the way, Enda Smith was the best midfielder on the field by a large margin on Saturday so kicking it down the middle may not have had anything like your desired results.