Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2018, 04:17:29 PM
Paterson was with his club until half way through the league as they made the AI final. He featured a lot last year.
Quick question. Do you think Patterson would have made the Roscommon 26 yesterday if the Stack brothers and the Lennon brothers were fit or if Sean Mullooly,Cian Connolly didn't go traveling this summer?

Quote from: Baggio90 on July 08, 2018, 04:44:15 PM

I think Armagh were equally as wasteful, Roscommon's first goal was also a sucker punch which came pretty much against the run of play. There didn't seem to be much between the teams other than Roscommon had a bit more in the tank and I'd put that down to the injury problems and withdrawals Armagh have been hit with this year, Roscommon might have a few injuries and withdrawals themselves but nothing to the extent that Armagh have had. If Armagh had the likes of Ben Crealey and Ethan Rafferty fit yesterday you'd really have fancied them to have cleaned Roscommon out in the middle of the field and allowed them to leave Murnin closer to goal where he was destroying their full back in the first half.

It was 0-8 to 0-10 when Roscommon scored their goal and the goal was coming as they were creating and looking for goals. Armagh at that stage had their best patch in the game and scored 0-10 from 11 attempts equally as wasteful?  Galway have a better midfield than Armagh and with Compton in Roscommon's midfield they more than broke even against them 1st half in the Connacht final. If McInerney marked Murnin all game he wouldn't have got as much joy as he did so McStay got his match ups wrong there something he can't afford to repeat against Tyrone next.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2018, 05:15:44 PM
Paterson was with his club until half way through the league as they made the AI final. He featured a lot last year.
Quick question. Do you think Patterson would have made the Roscommon 26 yesterday if the Stack brothers and the Lennon brothers were fit or if Sean Mullooly,Cian Connolly didn't go traveling this summer?

I think Armagh were equally as wasteful, Roscommon's first goal was also a sucker punch which came pretty much against the run of play. There didn't seem to be much between the teams other than Roscommon had a bit more in the tank and I'd put that down to the injury problems and withdrawals Armagh have been hit with this year, Roscommon might have a few injuries and withdrawals themselves but nothing to the extent that Armagh have had. If Armagh had the likes of Ben Crealey and Ethan Rafferty fit yesterday you'd really have fancied them to have cleaned Roscommon out in the middle of the field and allowed them to leave Murnin closer to goal where he was destroying their full back in the first half.

It was 0-8 to 0-10 when Roscommon scored their goal and the goal was coming as they were creating and looking for goals. Armagh at that stage had their best patch in the game and scored 0-10 from 11 attempts equally as wasteful?  Galway have a better midfield than Armagh and with Compton in Roscommon's midfield they more than broke even against them 1st half in the Connacht final. If McInerney marked Murnin all game he wouldn't have got as much joy as he did so McStay got his match ups wrong there something he can't afford to repeat against Tyrone next.

Paterson has been regularly making the 26 both of the last two years with most of those players involved so it's not even much of an opinion to say he would. He has excellent pace and could be in line to start next week. Not many would have had Niall Kilroy as a squad member let alone a surefire starter until McStay arrived. I pay no heed to what players' reputations are.

Baggio90

You're using a lot of ifs there.

What are the stats for chance conversion? Armagh missed a lot of chances in the latter stages too, including a penalty and a free that was waved wide when it looked over. Roscommon finished the game stronger and deserved their win but it was a competitive game with two evenly matched sides. Armagh seemed to be the more depleted of the two sides and I think that was the main difference.

When Murnin went out the field, Shields caused wreck inside and he's a natural wing back.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Baggio90 on July 08, 2018, 05:23:58 PM

What are the stats for chance conversion? Armagh missed a lot of chances in the latter stages too, including a penalty and a free that was waved wide when it looked over. Roscommon finished the game stronger and deserved their win but it was a competitive game with two evenly matched sides. Armagh seemed to be the more depleted of the two sides and I think that was the main difference.

When Murnin went out the field, Shields caused wreck inside and he's a natural wing back.

The free was a good foot wide. The penalty shouldnt have been a penalty. Murnin went out the field because he was been roasted by McInerney when he was swithed back on him.

Baggio90

Quote from: oliverkelly on July 08, 2018, 05:28:45 PM

The free was a good foot wide. The penalty shouldnt have been a penalty. Murnin went out the field because he was been roasted by McInerney when he was swithed back on him.

The free certainly looked well inside the posts.

The penalty I will give you but it also came form a great goal chance that blowitup seems to forgotten about. As long as Murnin was playing inside he was causing wreck, he went out the field and Shields went inside and he caused wreck. If Armagh had more of their middle third players fit or available I think it would really have allowed them to focus on these obvious weaknesses of Roscommon.

Roscommon also got a number of extremely soft frees they converted, including one ridiculous one in the first half, when Cathal Cregg elbowed Mark Shields in the face.

Either way I think the game being in the melting pot with a few minutes left was a very fair reflection of the contest up until then and Roscommon had more in the tank down the straight and that swung it for them.

Rossfan

Please don't be indulging that buck.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baggio90

Quote from: Rossfan on July 08, 2018, 05:38:55 PM

I don't think I've come across a more entitled, sensitive set of supporters as ye lads before.

Getting your knickers in a twist for saying that a game between two sides which was in the melting pot until injury time was evenly matched.

Getting your knickers in a twist when I make some observations supported by a body of empirical evidence.

And I'm painted as some sort of bogey man as a result of making pragmatic appraisals supported by facts?

Odd.

Blowitupref

This will be my final post on the matter.

I used one if about McInerney. The same player did a very good marking job on Comer in the Connacht final don't forget. Murnin influence faded once McInereny was moved onto him. It was debatable if it was penalty at all as Roscommon didn't get one for the same so called foot block and anyway Armagh scored a goal within 1 minute after that penalty miss. That free looked wide to me they were never going to keep up their strike rate of the 1st half. Roscommon should have put that game to bed must earlier but they still won by 6 points the difference between the sides is Roscommon are top 8 side now and Armagh hope to reach that level however i think they are capable of reaching that level if they keep improving. And BTW my views are coming as neutral baggio.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Baggio90

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2018, 05:44:21 PM

I used one if about McInerney. The same player did a very good marking job on Comer in the Connacht final don't forget. Murnin influence faded once McInereny was moved onto him. It was debatable if it was penalty at all as Roscommon didn't get one for the same so called foot block and anyway Armagh scored a goal within 1 minute after that penalty miss. That free looked wide to me they were never going to keep up their strike rate of the 1st half. Roscommon should have put that game to bed must earlier but they still won by 6 points the difference between the sides is Roscommon are top 8 side now and Armagh hope to reach that level however i think they are capable of reaching that level if they keep improving. And BTW my views are coming as neutral baggio.

I wouldn't agree at all, Armagh butchered a lot of chances and I think the first Roscommon goal came completely against the run of play.

The game was in the melting pot with a few minutes to go and Roscommon finished stronger and got their victory and capitalised on Armagh pushing for sores in the last few minutes and leaving themselves exposed. I didn't think there was too much between the sides other than Roscommon being that bit fresher. Armagh had a number of goal openings at the start of the second half which I think you must have forgotten about.

tonto1888

He first Roscommon goal cane from a misplaced fist pass by vernon. We had goal chances second half which we spurned. 3 off the top of my head. I didn't see a problem with he penalty, can someone clear that up for me?
It was a great match. We were on the wrong side of the result but Roscommon were deserved winner in my opinion. A pleasure to have been there

Throw ball

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2018, 05:44:21 PM

I could keep this going for you. ;D

Murnin spent much of the first half playing full forward but coming  to midfield for kick outs. He lost a couple of balls early in the second half but to say if he stayed there he would not have caused problems takes a big leap of faith. A full forward after all only has to win a couple of balls to change a game. The full back has to win them all. He is a completely different type of player to Comer. Unfortunately due to Sheridan having to leave the field Murnin had to move to midfield and Armagh had to change the way they played the ball forward. Murnin is an unusual type of player. He doesn't always look elegant but he is highly effective at full forward. His persistent injury problems mean IMHO he lacks the fitness for an inter county midfielder.

Baggio90

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 08, 2018, 05:59:38 PM
He first Roscommon goal cane from a misplaced fist pass by vernon. We had goal chances second half which we spurned. 3 off the top of my head. I didn't see a problem with he penalty, can someone clear that up for me?
It was a great match. We were on the wrong side of the result but Roscommon were deserved winner in my opinion. A pleasure to have been there

The footblock rule is a bit iffy.

You can understand the need for it as it could result in some nasty injuries.

The Armagh defender who blocked the ball with his foot in the first half was a good distance back from the player who took the shot so there was certainly no call for a penalty there.

As Grugan was approaching in on goal, the referee deemed that it was dangerous play. It was harsh but you could understand why it was given as he was much closer to the player taking the shot than the Armagh player in the first half. I do think it was on the soft side.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Throw ball on July 08, 2018, 06:01:15 PM
Murnin is an unusual type of player. He doesn't always look elegant but he is highly effective at full forward.

He looked fairly elegant yesterday in the first half as he ran out from his marker, scooped a head high ball with one hand and turned 180 degrees before kicking it over the bar.

tonto1888

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 08, 2018, 07:49:03 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on July 08, 2018, 06:01:15 PM
Murnin is an unusual type of player. He doesn't always look elegant but he is highly effective at full forward.

He looked fairly elegant yesterday in the first half as he ran out from his marker, scooped a head high ball with one hand and turned 180 degrees before kicking it over the bar.

That was a fantastic score

Captain Obvious

Can anyone from Roscommon tell me why Ciaran Murtagh was taken off with 20 minutes to play? he was one of the stand out forwards on show with 0-6 scored including 4 outstanding points from the play and the lad that replaced him looked out of his depth.