Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Could ye Armagh st open a new thread about Armagh football and leave this one for Saturday's match.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

smelmoth

Quote from: Rossfan on July 04, 2018, 09:36:51 PM
Could ye Armagh st open a new thread about Armagh football and leave this one for Saturday's match.

Timmy is about to give you an insightful and nuanced analysis of your next opponent and you want to shut him down??

Syferus

Quote from: smelmoth on July 04, 2018, 09:52:18 PM

Timmy is about to give you an insightful and nuanced analysis of your next opponent and you want to shut him down??

Why would we need insight into a speed bump? It's there to be drove over.

weareros

Quote from: smelmoth on July 04, 2018, 09:52:18 PM

In fairness he could have been a Rossie a year before giving out about management and missing players. And then we bate Galway. Worries me.

Owen Brannigan

The spirit of 77 would be enough to carry Armagh through to the Super 8s.  Only worry is whether we have the players of the same abilities?

I have been as critical of McGeeney as anyone else but he has brought this squad to a stage where they are reaching a level of maturity that has been stilted by playing Division 3 for too long.  He has been handicapped by the withdrawals of players for whatever reasons and by injuries, although they affect all teams.

They have the potential to beat Roscommon if McGeeney can resist his usual impulse in bigger games to change the style of play to supposedly deal with the opposition threat like in last year's Tyrone match.  Best to build on the current game plan and go for it against Roscommon, we would rather go down attacking than wilt against a reasonable but flaky Roscommon team with some amended defensive system.

Tim’s Hero

Yet again on this forum ,attack anyone who doesn't toe the party line ! We have enough experts on here analysing or making excuses for the inability of Armagh to get within an asses roar of a top team. The stats speak for themselves and have been well documented ,

I'm not interested in bashing players or management but am sick of the endless posts ignoring the facts and pretending we are making progress , all I ask is for debate on how to improve into consistently maximising the undoubted talent there is in the county . Putting structures in place to avoid the peak and trough cycle we have been on since the formation of the gaa.

Solo_run

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 05, 2018, 08:11:37 AM
Yet again on this forum ,attack anyone who doesn't toe the party line ! We have enough experts on here analysing or making excuses for the inability of Armagh to get within an asses roar of a top team. The stats speak for themselves and have been well documented ,

I'm not interested in bashing players or management but am sick of the endless posts ignoring the facts and pretending we are making progress , all I ask is for debate on how to improve into consistently maximising the undoubted talent there is in the county . Putting structures in place to avoid the peak and trough cycle we have been on since the formation of the gaa.

So rather than showing support for the team tomorrow you want to talk about the future direction this team should go and criticise their performance before the end of the season?

There is really no point talking about this today, how about you let the team play and if the performance tomorrow is not to your liking we will be more than happy to discuss. This conversation is for when they are out of the championship not before it.

smelmoth

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 05, 2018, 08:11:37 AM

It's not really analysis is it?

There will need to be some soul searching when our season ends. I'm happy enough if that is deferred until our season ends. The remainder of our season will have a big bearing on the conclusions.

Given that no structure or appointment is going to change in the interim your sense of urgency is bemusing.

And I'm no apologist for McGeeney or for failure or mediocrity. The review needs to be cold and steely. But it doesn't need rushed

smelmoth

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 05, 2018, 07:50:14 AM
The spirit of 77 would be enough to carry Armagh through to the Super 8s.  Only worry is whether we have the players of the same abilities?

I have been as critical of McGeeney as anyone else but he has brought this squad to a stage where they are reaching a level of maturity that has been stilted by playing Division 3 for too long.  He has been handicapped by the withdrawals of players for whatever reasons and by injuries, although they affect all teams.

They have the potential to beat Roscommon if McGeeney can resist his usual impulse in bigger games to change the style of play to supposedly deal with the opposition threat like in last year's Tyrone match.  Best to build on the current game plan and go for it against Roscommon, we would rather go down attacking than wilt against a reasonable but flaky Roscommon team with some amended defensive system.

Completely agree on that last point.

I hate defensive football but watching a mimic is worse than watching the real thing

illdecide

Give me the fella who's maybe not as talented as some other guy but is 100% committed any day of the week, every club and County team have these guys and they fall away. Who gives a F**k about these men, concentrate on the men who are going out to try and beat Roscommon on Saturday.

As for the match (for you Roscommon men) I have no idea how this is going to pan out, Armagh can be quite inconsistent and TBH it's anyone's guess how we'll play on Sat. There is a big game in them that's for sure and i hope it comes on Sat, I've watched Roscommon a few times over the last few years and they're pretty decent. Pound for pound they have better players than Armagh but that doesn't mean than Armagh can't win as we can for sure, If KMcG can get his match ups right and a we bit of luck we can sneak this but the bookies are never far away and have Roscommon as clear favourites to win the game.

I really prefer Armagh playing our southern Brethren rather than Ulster teams as we always seem to do better...here's hoping. C'mon Armagh!!!

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Ethan Tremblay

Good man Tim's Hero,

What's your main suggestions to maximise the talent? What are the facts you are referring to? Armagh are a small county, suffering the same effects present around the country, immigration, players opting out due to the lifestyle Gaelic presents, work commitments, not prepared to commit 4+ nights per week for the best part of the year. 

Honestly what would your suggestions be right now to resolve Armagh woe's?

As for management slating, at the end of the day he trains the team, picks the starting 15, and tells them how he wants them to play tactically.  Against Clare, I seen a player miss a free kick an u14 could have scored, 18 wides kicked, and stray kick passes all over the pitch.  Clare finished 3rd in division 2, above Tipp, Cork, Meath and Down, had Armagh lost it would have been the managements fault no doubt, for getting beat by a team, by league standings, better than Armagh. 

Moving on to the weekend, Roscommon is the biggest game of the year for Armagh, and I would liken it to the Kildare match last year, more hope than expectation.  Haven't seen much of Roscommon bar patches of the div 2 final, and if they are on fire I would expect them to win. 
Armagh cannot be as wasteful this week either or they will be shooting themselves in the foot. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

seafoid

Question for Armagh fans

If you had to choose between :

A) England winning the world cup
B) Tyrone winning Sam again
C) Root Canal treatment

which would you choose ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

maddog

Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2018, 10:42:07 AM
Question for Armagh fans

If you had to choose between :

A) England winning the world cup
B) Down winning Sam again
C) Root Canal treatment

which would you choose ?

C if you made the change above

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on July 05, 2018, 10:23:45 AM
Against Clare, I seen a player miss a free kick an u14 could have scored, 18 wides kicked, and stray kick passes all over the pitch.

Armagh cannot be as wasteful this week either or they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

I mentioned this on our own forum. The amount of unforced errors that we commit in the way of shooting, aimless passes, poor tackling etc. has been shocking, and has been a symptom of our play throughout the year.

Many of the wides that we accumulated against Clare - just like the Fermanagh game - came from poor long balls played into our full forward line that simply bounced over the head of the attacker and out over the end line. To be fair to Grimley, I think he is an excellent free taker off the ground, but the very dry and parched conditions against Clare meant he ended up taking frees out of the hands and he got them totally wrong.

The key for Saturday will be to try and eradicate all of these errors and ensure that we make best use of our possession, which will hopefully maximize our chances of victory.

seafoid

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 05, 2018, 10:51:11 AM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on July 05, 2018, 10:23:45 AM
Against Clare, I seen a player miss a free kick an u14 could have scored, 18 wides kicked, and stray kick passes all over the pitch.

I mentioned this on our own forum. The amount of unforced errors that we commit in the way of shooting, aimless passes, poor tackling etc. has been shocking, and has been a symptom of our play throughout the year.

Many of the wides that we accumulated against Clare - just like the Fermanagh game - came from poor long balls played into our full forward line that simply bounced over the head of the attacker and out over the end line. To be fair to Grimley, I think he is an excellent free taker off the ground, but the very dry and parched conditions against Clare meant he ended up taking frees out of the hands and he got them totally wrong.

The key for Saturday will be to try and eradicate all of these errors and ensure that we make best use of our possession, which will hopefully maximize our chances of victory.
Most matches other than the turkey shoots are won in the last 10 minutes . I think the Rossies believe in themselves so it should be a cracker with everything to play for going down the home straight.
If they get any goal chances they will take them.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU