Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Fair play Kildare. Drove it home when it was in the pot. Some cracking points under pressure.
Inevitable Mayo would get clipped the way things have been going , could have easily been last week were it not for fluke goal. Break mentally and physically will see us be a bit more competitive next year hopefully!

cornetto

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 30, 2018, 11:25:09 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 30, 2018, 11:21:23 PM
Current mayo management in job 3 years I believe and have no silverware. Will they be allowed continue?

Don't think they will want to. Nobody in Mayo cared about Connacht title other than it being an easier route to an AI final

Well in reality this mayo team have been in decline for the last 3 years and hence no connacht title,there demise has been written about the last 3 yrs as well so it is no surprise it has come to pass.mayo never trained as hard for this year's connacht encounter with  and just came up short had they won ther connacht title they would be still a serious outfit in the super 8s.
Age profile has finally caught up and the end for Clarke,Higgins,Boyle,and Andy Moran.All hard people to replace.
But as mayo posters say they owe nothing, and have plenty of connacht titles to show for it.

seafoid

Indo

it's a measure of the team's longevity that seven of last night's starters, David Clarke, Chris Barrett, Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins, Kevin McLoughlin, Aidan O'Shea and Andy Moran played on the side last beaten in an All-Ireland qualifier – a round one fixture against Longford in 2010.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tippabu

Quote from: seafoid on July 01, 2018, 09:48:27 AM
Indo

it's a measure of the team's longevity that seven of last night's starters, David Clarke, Chris Barrett, Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins, Kevin McLoughlin, Aidan O'Shea and Andy Moran played on the side last beaten in an All-Ireland qualifier – a round one fixture against Longford in 2010.

Seamus o shea had he not been injured last weekend would have been another to that list. Similar to tipp hurlers who even though we did manage to get over the line twice in that time both were 2nd best teams the last 10 years and both look like it could be end of era's for two very good teams this year

BennyCake

Is that the end of this Mayo team?

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: BennyCake on July 01, 2018, 11:12:43 AM
Is that the end of this Mayo team?

It is for a core of players hanging on for that elusive dream of winning an AI.  Plenty of other talent to develop and remain a force for years to come. 

However, it shows the importance of winning a provincial championship.  Mayo's weakness has been the inability to win and being forced down the route of the qualifiers at the mercy of the draw.

No surprise in being beaten this year as they should have gone last year in the Fermanagh game.  Mayo has been surviving on the edge for the last few years but has had the resources that other teams lack to survive a long campaign through the qualifiers.

Interesting to watch how the qualifying teams do if any reach the Super 8s especially those without the depth of squads required to play virtually every week for a couple of months.

seafoid

The hardest thing about losing is realising that certain players are not good enough. Mayo went far beyond the call of duty but there still was something missing.  They were also unlucky time wise.  5 years earlier pre Dubs they could have won at least 2.

Another aspect is the culture of winning. Maybe in a few years a new group will emerge from Mayo with it. And win the shaggin' thing.

That team will owe an awful lot to this group. 

Donnellys Hollow

Hard to believe that Kildare football was the laughing stock of the country only five weeks ago. I posted after the Carlow match that it needed to be a watershed moment and it certainly looks that way. The attitude since that day has been faultless.

To a man these Kildare players came of age last night. Peter Kelly typified the stubborness and defiance. It's a pity his career has been so interrupted by injury. Speaking of injuries, I doubt the plan was to leave Kevin Feely on for the full match but he was immense when we needed cool head on the ball even though he was clearly not at full steam.

O'Neill, Roli and Enda Murphy deserve great credit and fair play to O'Neill for taking a stand on Monday and uniting the county behind them. The old place was rocking last night and the scenes at the end have not been seen since '98. We have had some lean times over those 20 years and it was fitting that Leper kicked the final point having soldiered through most of that period.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Rossfan

Will the white bandwagon be rolling again next week?
No Stadium will be big enough to cope!
Meanwhile Mayowestros will be rebuilding as the old warriors will be retiring en masse - Higgins, Boyle,Vaughan, Keegan and one or 2 more.
End of an era as Galway take over the mantle.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Laoiseabu

mup

What can one say? From the low of the Carlow result to the game yesterday it has certainly been a rollercoaster week for us Kildare fans. The furore all week over the venue looks to have united the team and county and was probably a factor in Kildares victory yesterday. I'd be the first to admit that I wasn't a fan of this Kildare team and management. They certainly shoved that down my throat yesterday.

On Monday I didn't think I could be more proud over the stance that Kildare took over the venue. Well I was even more proud yesterday.

It would be remiss of me not to mention this Mayo team. They have been a wonderful side over the past 7/8 years. They have give us all some great moments and I'm sure most would have felt their pain after all their near misses. Unfortunately for them Dublin were in the way these past few years. Hopefully they will be back.

larryin89

It's hard to admit how empty I feel this morning but not for us supporters for them players moreso.

The battles they took part in since 2011 have been amazing , it's been a journey that must be very difficult for anyone who isn't Mayo hard to understand. 

Cork 2011 , Dublin 2012, Donegal 13, the epic battle in Limerick in 2014  and so many more memories , they gave every fooking they had to the cause . It's a sad tale I suppose  but I love them warriors , thank you for everything ye gave .

Mayo will be missed even by the haters albeit they don't realise that just yet.

Good luck to Kildare too , couldn't of picked a better team to bow out to eventually.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 01, 2018, 11:47:34 AM
Hard to believe that Kildare football was the laughing stock of the country only five weeks ago. I posted after the Carlow match that it needed to be a watershed moment and it certainly looks that way. The attitude since that day has been faultless.

To a man these Kildare players came of age last night. Peter Kelly typified the stubborness and defiance. It's a pity his career has been so interrupted by injury. Speaking of injuries, I doubt the plan was to leave Kevin Feely on for the full match but he was immense when we needed cool head on the ball even though he was clearly not at full steam.

O'Neill, Roli and Enda Murphy deserve great credit and fair play to O'Neill for taking a stand on Monday and uniting the county behind them. The old place was rocking last night and the scenes at the end have not been seen since '98. We have had some lean times over those 20 years and it was fitting that Leper kicked the final point having soldiered through most of that period.

The psychological impact of #Newbridgeorrnowhere was massive. The whole county was behind the lads.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 01, 2018, 12:11:17 PM
Will the white bandwagon be rolling again next week?
No Stadium will be big enough to cope!
Meanwhile Mayowestros will be rebuilding as the old warriors will be retiring en masse - Higgins, Boyle,Vaughan, Keegan and one or 2 more.
End of an era as Galway take over the mantle.
The last few years of this team gave the language new words such as Mayowestros and Rhubarbs as well as bringing the issue of Ballagh to national prominence.