Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 07, 2018, 11:49:28 PM
Yeah. You're right there. I used to follow the sport in my younger days but it's haywire stuff. It's like what F1 was in the 1960s before Jackie Steward introduced safety as a priority. Isle of Man is a complete bloodbath. I think there was a guy Gene McDonald his name might have been, who got killed on the IOM when he hit a horse that had strayed onto the course. I know it's in their veins but would we make Russian Roulette legal just because people liked playing it?

Eugene (Gene) McDonnell from Greenlough, RIP. 24 years of age.

Road racing be banned. Courses haven't kept pace with advances in technology.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 07, 2018, 11:49:28 PM
Yeah. You're right there. I used to follow the sport in my younger days but it's haywire stuff. It's like what F1 was in the 1960s before Jackie Steward introduced safety as a priority. Isle of Man is a complete bloodbath. I think there was a guy Gene McDonald his name might have been, who got killed on the IOM when he hit a horse that had strayed onto the course. I know it's in their veins but would we make Russian Roulette legal just because people liked playing it?
Agree entirely. It makes no sense to me and I'll actively discourage my son's from getting motorbikes but we all know people who are into bikes, and when you're into them, you're all in. Driving at 190 mph+ inches from stone walls, gateposts and fences is the very definition of madness to me, but it's obviously a drug for these fellas. I can't imagine Michael Dunlop will hang up the leathers.

Capt Pat

They obviously love it and while the Dunlops have lost a lot they have also gained so much from racing bikes. Fame, money etc.

I say ban it. Human life is too important.

Owen Brannigan

Don't think there is another 'sport' where so many young men lose their lives or suffer horrendous injuries on a regular basis.

Very sad for the Dunlop family.

As CTWH has stated above road racing has not met the challenges of the massive changes to the bikes over the last 30 years, they are no longer suitable to be racing on courses that haven't changed during this time bar putting a few big bales on corners. Track racing has its dangers but the number deaths is far less because of the precautions taken at these tracks.

It is past the time for banning road racing.

thewobbler

Interesting that some people think advancing technology is the reason for road racing deaths.

Here's the the thing: people have been dying in this sport since it first began. Increases in speed have been marginal, and if anything, improvements in handling and braking have made the sport safer. Hitting a tree on a gentle bend, it really doesn't matter whether you're travelling at 8mph or 100mph.... you aren't getting up again.

——

Until the road racing community starts turning on itself, then outsiders have no right to call upon it to be banned. It's got nothing to do with with you. Stay out of it.

AZOffaly

Quote from: thewobbler on July 08, 2018, 10:03:09 AM
Interesting that some people think advancing technology is the reason for road racing deaths.

Here's the the thing: people have been dying in this sport since it first began. Increases in speed have been marginal, and if anything, improvements in handling and braking have made the sport safer. Hitting a tree on a gentle bend, it really doesn't matter whether you're travelling at 8mph or 100mph.... you aren't getting up again.

——

Until the road racing community starts turning on itself, then outsiders have no right to call upon it to be banned. It's got nothing to do with with you. Stay out of it.

8mph? I presume you meant 80? Either way sad news and a sport I cannot fathom.

Boycey

I agree with thewobbler it's not something I understand given the obvious risks but as a casual observer I'd not feel in a position to comment on the future of the sport.

gallsman

What a load of complete and utter w**k.

Minder

Turkeys aren't gonna be voting for Christmas any time soon
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thewobbler

Quote from: gallsman on July 08, 2018, 11:22:05 AM

I'm guessing you can't explain why. 

Every competitor in road racing is a willing adult. It's the inherent risk that attracts these riders, and if they couldn't get it through organised races, they'd get it elsewhere. The crowds are generally quite small and tend to be born into it, so it's not some form of Hunger Games mass entertainment.

But what it interests me more about the "it must be banned" brigade is learning just where thy will draw the line on what leisure pursuits are acceptable. Where is your tipping point for unacceptable levels of deaths in pursuit of leisure?

Will rallying be next? What about base jumping, or ski jumping? Deep sea diving, or deep cave diving?
Rock climbing? Boxing?

The road racing community only put themselves in danger through their activities. It's therefore none of my business, and I say let them at it.

nrico2006

Quote from: thewobbler on July 08, 2018, 11:53:05 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 08, 2018, 11:22:05 AM

I'm guessing you can't explain why. 

Every competitor in road racing is a willing adult. It's the inherent risk that attracts these riders, and if they couldn't get it through organised races, they'd get it elsewhere. The crowds are generally quite small and tend to be born into it, so it's not some form of Hunger Games mass entertainment.

But what it interests me more about the "it must be banned" brigade is learning just where thy will draw the line on what leisure pursuits are acceptable. Where is your tipping point for unacceptable levels of deaths in pursuit of leisure?

Will rallying be next? What about base jumping, or ski jumping? Deep sea diving, or deep cave diving?
Rock climbing? Boxing?

The road racing community only put themselves in danger through their activities. It's therefore none of my business, and I say let them at it.
Fire marathons onto your list too. Were there not fatalities at the London and Belfast ones this year too?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GJL

RIP Michael. Tragic stuff once again for the Dunlop family.

On the sport. It is bat shit crazy and dangerous in the extreme but nobody outside of the sport has ANY right to tell these guys how to live their lives. What they are doing is 100% legal and that is not going to change. If this is what they want to be at then that is their choice and nobody else's.

Jim Bob

Alan Gilzean RIP. Spurs striker from the 70s

Seany

I don't think Joey's son took anything to do with the road racing.

longballin

I remember that documentary and Robert's son raced in days after his Dad was killed. Organisers didnt want him to race and "friends" actually used umbrellas or parasols to shield him from those in charge. Poor lad was emotional mess and won at unreal speeds. Very very sad the whole thing but seems like an addiction looking for that thrill and rush whatever the consequence. Dunlop family has suffered so much and awful for those left to grieve.