Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: lfdown2 on June 08, 2018, 02:45:19 PM
Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on June 08, 2018, 02:40:25 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on June 08, 2018, 02:34:51 PM
Anyone here have experience of the planning process in NI?

Wouldn't be a regular query:

- Applied and achieved planning permission for a replacement dwelling
- Due to lack of viable lenders had to submit further application for revised entrance
- Upon commencing working drawings decided to throw the whole design up and start from scratch
- Have new application ready to go, inclusive of the revised entrance (above), do not intend to cancelling current permission until this application has been approved

Question is; we would like to commence the earthworks for the lane before we head towards the winter months again, we have permission in place for this but could us starting that in any way hamper the new application?

Is the new dwelling on the same footprint as the original approval?  If so, the Planning Authority should be able to treat the new application as a simple change of house type application, with an amended access arrangement.

If the new proposal isn't on the same footprint then things could be a lot more difficult as there would be a potential for two dwellings on the site.  If the works are commenced on the first approval then you would have to seek a revocation of the original application before the second application could be approved, which would be time consuming.

New dwelling is on the same footprint, however significantly different and therefore could not be submitted as simply an amendment. Would anticipate having to seek a revocation of original application. I would like to get a start on the lane only at this stage but do not want to do so if it could be detrimental to new application.

If the dwelling is on the same footprint then you should require a revocation.  A new application should be sufficient, depending on the design and suitability of the access.  Are you planning to use both entrances?

lfdown2

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on June 08, 2018, 02:49:09 PM

- Due to lack of viable lenders had to submit further application for revised entrance
- Upon commencing working drawings decided to throw the whole design up and start from scratch
- Have new application ready to go, inclusive of the revised entrance (above), do not intend to cancelling current permission until this application has been approved

Question is; we would like to commence the earthworks for the lane before we head towards the winter months again, we have permission in place for this but could us starting that in any way hamper the new application?

Is the new dwelling on the same footprint as the original approval?  If so, the Planning Authority should be able to treat the new application as a simple change of house type application, with an amended access arrangement.

If the new proposal isn't on the same footprint then things could be a lot more difficult as there would be a potential for two dwellings on the site.  If the works are commenced on the first approval then you would have to seek a revocation of the original application before the second application could be approved, which would be time consuming.

New dwelling is on the same footprint, however significantly different and therefore could not be submitted as simply an amendment. Would anticipate having to seek a revocation of original application. I would like to get a start on the lane only at this stage but do not want to do so if it could be detrimental to new application.

If the dwelling is on the same footprint then you should require a revocation.  A new application should be sufficient, depending on the design and suitability of the access.  Are you planning to use both entrances?

The existing entrance will remain - servicing other properties. This was the issue with lenders, the shared lane scenario was a deal beaker for them all. Assume you mean 'should not'. The revised access was passed previously as an amendment to the original application, took longer to go through than the dwelling (in fairness the dwelling is not visible form the road)

lfdown2

Quote from: WT4E on June 08, 2018, 02:46:14 PM

Sorry can't help with your query as haven't went through the process but you might be able to give me a rough idea of question i asked earlier (or anyone else)

How much would you estimate to get plans drawn and planning permission passed?

Be dependent on a number of factors - all comes back to time, so if there is significant back and forth it would increase costs. I had a friend do up the plans for me but I would estimate with planning fee (£850) you would be looking between £3-5k. Open to correction on that all the same, and that wouldn't include working drawings.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: lfdown2 on June 08, 2018, 02:56:56 PM

The existing entrance will remain - servicing other properties. This was the issue with lenders, the shared lane scenario was a deal beaker for them all. Assume you mean 'should not'. The revised access was passed previously as an amendment to the original application, took longer to go through than the dwelling (in fairness the dwelling is not visible form the road)

Should not  :)

lfdown2

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on June 08, 2018, 03:05:05 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on June 08, 2018, 02:56:56 PM

Should not  :)

Cheers for that, think i'll tear away.

Rois

I'm buying a new build, but a cursory inspection by the mortgage provider's surveyor has said that there's a tree within 3m of the house, it is too risky, and mortgage unlikely to be granted without guarantee from the builder and report on the tree.

We would ideally like to get rid of the tree, but it is currently under a tree protection order. 

My question is whether anyone has experience of getting rid of trees, and whether that is inherently more risky to remove it than letting the tree continue as is if the tree report says it is healthy.

House is already built. 

tintin25

2 months in my new build and whilst things going well in the main, my garden now starting to resemble a forest of weeds.  Whilst I have a responsibility to maintain it, surely there shou;dn't be that many weeds this early?  90% weeds and hardly any grass coming through.  Hot weather hasn't either but do I have a case to get contractor to look at it again and maybe reseed?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tintin25 on July 03, 2018, 04:02:57 PM
2 months in my new build and whilst things going well in the main, my garden now starting to resemble a forest of weeds.  Whilst I have a responsibility to maintain it, surely there shou;dn't be that many weeds this early?  90% weeds and hardly any grass coming through.  Hot weather hasn't either but do I have a case to get contractor to look at it again and maybe reseed?
You think it's bad now, wait until the rain starts! Approach the contractor about it - the worst he can do it tell you to f**k off.

giveherlong

Quote from: Rois on July 03, 2018, 03:45:29 PM
I'm buying a new build, but a cursory inspection by the mortgage provider's surveyor has said that there's a tree within 3m of the house, it is too risky, and mortgage unlikely to be granted without guarantee from the builder and report on the tree.

We would ideally like to get rid of the tree, but it is currently under a tree protection order. 

My question is whether anyone has experience of getting rid of trees, and whether that is inherently more risky to remove it than letting the tree continue as is if the tree report says it is healthy.

House is already built.

Cut it down if it's causing you bother.
That was a while night of wind 🤐
Once it's gone it's gone
Get your own tree report done if you want extra cover to say it's dead/diseased if you're worried about comeback

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rois on July 03, 2018, 03:45:29 PM

House is already built.

Surely Building Control would have made a decision on the tree being close to the house, perhaps you could get a report from them.

The issues of the tree are the roots growing into the foundations and house as well as heading for the drains and drying out the ground under the foundations to cause subsidence.

You could apply to get the preservation order removed if you can show that it is a threat to the building.

Taking down the tree is no problem given the expertise and availability of tree surgeons.

Rois

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 03, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

Surely Building Control would have made a decision on the tree being close to the house, perhaps you could get a report from them.

The issues of the tree are the roots growing into the foundations and house as well as heading for the drains and drying out the ground under the foundations to cause subsidence.

You could apply to get the preservation order removed if you can show that it is a threat to the building.

Taking down the tree is no problem given the expertise and availability of tree surgeons.
Thanks - I am not sure if building control have signed it off yet but that's another thing to ask.  At what stage does that happen?  I don't want to just do something to tick a box for the mortgage people, if there's likely to be a big problem five years down the line then I would rather not buy the house. 

giveherlong

Quote from: JimStynes on February 03, 2018, 04:28:12 PM
What way do I go about getting Septic tank, electric, water applications sent in? I can't find much online about it.  Are there any other applications I could submit while waiting for planning to come back?

Plenty you could be getting on with as prices are rising and electric connection may take months:

Electric- fill out form which can be downloaded from NIE website. They will come back with price
Water- form on niwater.com website again to be downloaded and filled out. Will revert with price
Septic tank- consent to discharge must be obtained from DAERA. Application is £273. Whoever you are getting your septic tank from can fill this in for you. Viltra in Newry will do it free. Push for the lower % effluent quality if you can as it's cheaper a tank

There's a closed group on Facebook which is useful for anyone building: 'Self Build and Rennovations Ireland'

giveherlong

Also- form on BT Openreach website to be filled in if you want landline or broadband
Form below

https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d0408080c0a09

BT will leave you out ducting and a roll of cable- there may be a small charge for the duct/cable but not much
If there are poles to be put it there isn't a change for that and there is no charge for actual connection

BenDover

Any plumbers on here?

Having bother with the immersion heater atm. Had the coil and the stat replaced recently but when I turn the switch on I was only getting hot water for 1-2 days max before the stat was tripped.
Plumber recommended disconnecting the immersion from the switch in hot press and put a plug on the end to connect it directly to a plug socket (to rule out a fault between switch in kitchen & hotpress switch), I did this he came out reset the stat and again we'd hot water for 1-2 days max before Stat tripped again.
I've now replaced the flex from immersion to Hot Press switch, everything has been tested by a spark and from an electrical perspective everything is working but I'm still not getting any hot water when the immersion is switched on. Besides replacing the stat is there anything else I should be getting the plumber to check when he comes out again?

laoislad

The Electrician should have been able to test the coil by doing an Insulation resistance test on it. This would tell you if the element is broke or not.
Is it a pipe stat that trips or is it tripping something in your fuse box?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.