Joint Papal / Queen visit in Northern Ireland in 2018

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, December 19, 2017, 06:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

Yule do what the Vatican tells you.

In the modern saying - "Happy Holidays".

T Fearon

Next year's Papal visit has the potential to launch a significant renewal of faith in Ireland and a return to the fold.

Shamrock Shore

I was talking to a officially retired (but active in ministry) priest last night. Asked him about the visit.

He said Pope would be better off flying in, doing his bit, and be back in Rome for the evening tea.

Cannot see a so-called renewal of faith. Whatever that means.

The days of being afraid of the slap of the crozier are long gone.
And that's welcome.

One can be a good Christian without all this added nonsense that seems to inspire some.

BennyCake

Sorry to diss anyone's beliefs and all, but when people start quoting the bible or telling us what Jesus said, they've lost their argument right there and then.

I'm sure the Famous Five said lots of things in Enid Blyton's books, but nobody goes about saying George said something or other, so we must abide by the word of George. Just because it's in a book don't make it true.

playwiththewind1st

Probably still a few about who would get quite a thrill from a "slap of the crozier".

playwiththewind1st

"I have seen the Pope that often in Rome,that I doubt I could be bothered with all the hassle (traffic,crowds,security etc) when he comes here.His visit here is akin to a football pre season friendly,no comparison when you've seen him in serious mode on his home turf".

"Next year's Papal visit has the potential to launch a significant renewal of faith in Ireland and a return to the fold".

Hard to credit, but those 2 posts came from the same person.

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on December 21, 2017, 01:22:40 PM
Next year's Papal visit has the potential to launch a significant renewal of faith in Ireland and a return to the fold.

If the visit of a showman somehow stimulates someones dormant faith, I'd suggest a relapse isn't far away especially when worshipping false idols.

When is this going to be firmed up on? Need to get those stetsons left over from Garth Brooks rebranded.

T Fearon

Disappointing but hardly surprised by such cynical comments.The Pope is a man of charisma,and if his visit re awakens interest in the Church,or inspires some Philip Mulryne like moments (a pro footballer who has it all but was totally dissatisfied),and help people realise the absolute meaninglessness of a temporal physical existence without faith,then it will be well worthwhile.

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on December 21, 2017, 02:23:41 PM
Disappointing but hardly surprised by such cynical comments.The Pope is a man of charisma,and if his visit re awakens interest in the Church,or inspires some Philip Mulryne like moments (a pro footballer who has it all but was totally dissatisfied),and help people realise the absolute meaninglessness of a temporal physical existence without faith,then it will be well worthwhile.

The current Pope is the smiley face of an organisation in dire trouble. Obviously Benedict wasn't a good enough facade, or wouldn't conform or say the things the Vatican wanted, so he was turfed out.

The visit of the Pope might get a few people to go to mass for a few Sundays. But it won't make any difference for non-believing Catholics.

Rossfan

They're hardly Catholics if they're non believing.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on December 21, 2017, 03:45:10 PM
They're hardly Catholics if they're non believing.

Quiet, you!  ;D

But yeah, you're right. Although, you can still be catholic and not be catholic at the same time. Especially in the North.

Rossfan

I suppose there'd be Catholic and Protestant atheists and agnostics up there
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on December 21, 2017, 01:37:22 PM
Sorry to diss anyone's beliefs and all, but when people start quoting the bible or telling us what Jesus said, they've lost their argument right there and then.

I'm sure the Famous Five said lots of things in Enid Blyton's books, but nobody goes about saying George said something or other, so we must abide by the word of George. Just because it's in a book don't make it true.

I'm sorry but I can't let that go. My discussion or argument was with Tony, a devout Catholic by all accounts. His take on the bible would doubtless be different than yours and many others. This is stuff he surely believes and it's the Catholicism I grew up with and remember. What my beliefs or yours are irrelevant to this discussion where I'm clearly challenging Tony's.

You'll note I mentioned people who do not believe later in that post. Not that they need my approval or anyone's for that matter. I think in the context of my post your comment is unfair and imbalanced.

T Fearon

My belief is in the Bible,but if Jesus' mission was to save,it was not all about lovey dovey,anything goes and should be tolerated.He naturally associated with sinners,as his mission was to save,he was compassionate and patient,but the bible also makes it clear that sin is not acceptable,nor should it be tolerated and there are dire consequences for non repentance.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 21, 2017, 01:33:25 PM
I was talking to the Pope last night. Asked him about the visit.

He said "see thon Polish boy, starting all this flying about nonsense & doing his wee bit, with a Mass here & there all over the world? I wish he hadn't started; now the rest of us all have to do the same gig. At my age too. I am so pissed off with airport security, lost baggage & air traffic controller strikes and don't even mention Ryanair to me. I'd rather be sat back in Rome, having a Fray Bentos pie & a nice glass of Argentinian red for the evening tea".

With apologies to Shamrock Shore.