Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Right, time to look forward to the wide open expanse of Croke after that claustrophobic cauldron of Clones - bring it on! :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

blewuporstuffed

This has the possibility of being a great double header of Tyrone V Mayo followed by Dublin V donegal
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Fuzzman

Yeah hopefully we take off the shackles a bit now and don't focus so much on the defensive side of things.
A quarterfinal can be a tricky game when you haven't played for 3 weeks and a qualifier team comes at you all guns blazing having won 3 or 4 games on the run.
Mayo looked to have got their hunger back last week against Kildare but I wouldn't be writing off Cork either.

I wonder will we see a change of tact with Mickey now that the Ulster war is over. Could he see this a a time to bring younger Brennan into the team.

Am I right to say there are 6 sets of brothers in the squad?

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/se%C3%A1n-moran-galway-and-tyrone-s-rise-adds-spice-to-championship-1.2727684

For Mickey Harte's team it closes the book on a difficult period. Six years ago they got relegated for the first time in his managerial reign, a setback that ran counter to all his teachings on the importance of playing at as high a level as possible.

There was a symbolic importance in that relegation because it was confirmed by a home defeat against Dublin and in retrospect marked the start of divergent pathways for both counties. The Brogans dismantled Tyrone that day while the defence was held together impressively in their first season together by club mates Rory O'Carroll and Cian O'Sullivan at full back and centre back, respectively.

Only the league? It appeared so after Dublin's new-fangled defensive structure fell apart against Meath that summer and Tyrone dusted off a fourth Ulster title of the Harte era. But when their paths crossed again the league form held.

Since then Dublin have won three All-Irelands whereas Tyrone couldn't even win their province. That they did last weekend was the cause of significant celebration.

Harte in that time has become more philosophical about the league, a competition in which he placed great store in the heyday of his early management, but he is on the record as saying that he feels his team is a Division One outfit and it will be a surprise if they don't put a stop to the yo-yo existence of this decade.

The Bearded One

Indeed, 6 sets of brothers on the panel which must be a rare stat in the modern era.

I would love to see Lee Brennan get a chance to shine in Croke Park but he doesn't seem to be in the equation whatsoever. We know from experience that Mickey Harte isn't afraid to throw in his young stars so unfortunately for Lee it looks like 2016 isn't going to be a runner for him.
It is what it is. Presumably.

ONeill

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 20, 2016, 10:31:38 AM

A quarterfinal can be a tricky game when you haven't played for 3 weeks and a qualifier team comes at you all guns blazing having won 3 or 4 games on the run.

Definitely something in this alright, from a Tyrone perspective anyway. We've lost two of our last three quarter finals coming in as champions (Dublin 10, Meath 07), only getting over the line against Kildare in '09 before losing to Cork. It's something I'm sure Mickey is wary of.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Ulster is all blanket so we don't know how good Throne are with fellas running at them. Do we?

GJL

Quote from: seafoid on July 20, 2016, 11:34:59 AM
Ulster is all blanket so we don't know how good Throne are with fellas running at them. Do we?

After winning the D2 League.. Tyrone have only won a poor D2 league, we don't know how good they really are.
After beating Derry.. Tyrone have only beaten a poor Derry side, we don't know how good they really are.
After beating Cavan.. Tyrone have not met a Division one side, we don't know how good they really are.

Fuzzman

Quote from: GJL on July 20, 2016, 03:43:31 PM

After winning the D2 League.. Tyrone have only won a poor D2 league, we don't know how good they really are.
After beating Derry.. Tyrone have only beaten a poor Derry side, we don't know how good they really are.
After beating Cavan.. Tyrone have not met a Division one side, we don't know how good they really are.
Fast forward 2 months.
After beating Dublin..Tyrone have only beaten a Dublin B team with half their defence missing, we don't know how
good they really are.

I don't think too many sensible Tyrone fans are getting carried away with looking at the Dubs just yet but as we know a lot of these lads are young and inexperienced. Saying that they gained good experience last year v Kerry and they all trust in the system they play now.
Whilst it would be nice for us fans to see them play less defensively at times, we know it works well and maybe with us playing in Div 2 this year could benefit us as Mayo/Westmeath or Cork won't know as well what to expect.

What I liked so much about the match on Sunday was that we went 4 points down to a side who are very good at closing games out and we still turned it around and one by 2. That shows character and belief.

ONeill

There's a truth in this alright. As much as I think Tyrone have enough good players to make the difference against the top sides, if Tyrone lose to Mayo and Donegal also bow out (as well as Derry) before the semis then there'll be some post mortem about the real state of Ulster football.

We'll know in 3 weeks anyway.

Whishtup

Tyrone are set up for fellas running at them.  From what I've seen of Mayo this year, I don't see much pace.  I would more fear the fact that Mayo would be battle-hardened and exude that never-say-die(well...almost) attitude. 

blast05

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 20, 2016, 10:10:16 AM
This has the possibility of being a great double header of Tyrone V Mayo followed by Dublin V donegal

That would be excellent but Dublin should play first so that they would have to tog out in the Cusack Stand dressing rooms cos they would be well fcuked then  :P (related topic in another thread)

clarshack

would rather play cork tbh as i have a horrible feeling it could all click for Mayo on the day against us. derry actually have an easier path to the semis than tyrone.

larryin89

Quote from: clarshack on July 21, 2016, 01:34:34 PM
would rather play cork tbh as i have a horrible feeling it could all click for Mayo on the day against us. derry actually have an easier path to the semis than tyrone.

Thanks and im not saying we will beat tyrone for sure and thats if we beat westmeath also but its nice to be finally getting some recognition for a fantastic side who have yet to lie down for any team in croker. 

Rochford is a very shrewd manager and all this tweaking that people are seeing as a weakness albeit it wasnt planned to lose to galway is all geared for qf stage . Anybody thay has followed mayo these last few years will have taken great heart in the solid up in intensity in the tackle v kildare. Mcgloughlin, higgans ans boyler were nearly back to their best which is very encouraging . Full back line is a problem area esp with caff and barrett out but i can now see why we are trying to perfect mcgloughlin into a sweeper role because of this. (took me a while to get my head around tbh) . Hopefully barrett is back for qf if we manage wm.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

ONeill

Quote from: clarshack on July 21, 2016, 01:34:34 PM

Would also prefer Cork too even though we've never beaten Cork in the Championship.