Longford v Tyrone - Qualifiers Round 2 - 9 July 2011

Started by Shamrock Shore, June 26, 2011, 08:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 27, 2011, 03:01:57 PM
Yes Seafoid.

Sadly a good few counties think being beaten by Longford in the championship is akin to finding out your only son wants to be a nun.

It's shocking that so much prejudice exists against Longford. Like they don't have the right to score more points than the other
teams just because they are from Longford. 

I would put that Breffni yank quote up in the dressing room the next day against Tyrone.
Tyrone lost to MAYO, for christ's sake, a few years ago.     

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2011, 01:18:38 PM
Being beaten by Longford seems like the lowest a team can fall to, if the Mayo crowd are anything to go by.
Cavan too. 

Like the ugliest woman in whatever that nightclub is called in Ballyhaunis. "I had an awful feed of pints and I went home with LONGFORD".

I really  liked Breffni Yank's comment

"We got hammered at home to LONGFORD for christ sake."

Getting disgraced at home by 9 points and then 11 points by anyone should be unnacceptable.
Whether that is Cork/Kerry/Longford or Kilkenny/London.
I wouldnt pay too much heed into what Cavan people are posting on these boards right now,as it ranges from anger/disgust to feelings of humiliation.Longford have a number  of very good footballers whom would grace nearly any team in the country,+they have a good management team and most importantly a gameplan.
They could very well turn Tyrone over Saturday week,and for their long suffering supporters sake,i very much hope they do.

Billys Boots

QuoteIt's shocking that so much prejudice exists against Longford.

I don't know where it comes from either seafóid; probably from the same place as 'soap-opera popularity'.  But we know we were kicking points for a long time before their shitetalk, and we know we'll be doing it for a long time afterwards.  And we don't really care either. 

And we're just sorry we it's not Mayo again on Saturday week.  :P

And we have inner peace.  ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: orangeman on June 27, 2011, 03:52:50 PM
7PM on Saturday 9th. Probably on tv.

Not a chance it'll be on TV - Tyrone are no longer a draw for RTE and no disrespect to Longford but its hardly a clash of the titans! I think I might go down because I want to see Tyrone in a game in the championship and I've a feeling this will be my last chance!  :-[

Fuzzman

I'm sorry if I seem over confident but I think there is a bit of an over reaction from most Tyronies on here.

Yes we had a poor second half yesterday but I think if he had of taken even half our chances we would have won this game handy enough. We did not and we have to live with that.
But that doesn't suddenly make us a bad team overnight and although we will respect Longford and be wary of a potential banana skin, I think the wheels are far from coming off the cart just yet.
We could well in an Ulster final today as a lot of neutrals would say we were the better team yesterday.

McGuinness himself said that we wiped the floor with them in the first half so hopefully with both McMahon's fit & Penrose (our top scorer) then I think we will do ok in the back door.

LaurelEye

We are flying Ian McCrea down specially for the match.

We already have a jersey to fit him  ;D

Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

barelegs

The problem Fuzzman is that this isn't an overnight thing. It's a long term downward trend that's constantly been put down to bad luck. Once you look at the facts it doesn't look so good.

We were relegated from division one of the league last year and failed to win promotion this year. We've been shown up in Croke Park in 2009 and 2010 and we're back in 2011 with pretty much the same team of players expecting big things.

We struggled to beat a poor Monaghan team who had 14 men for the entire second half and after flying out of the blocks yesterday our performance died completely.  Yes Joe McMahon got hurt but we'd an All Star full back replacing him not some duffer. And even if we'd won, that performance yesterday wouldn't exactly have left Cork, Dublin or Kerry trembling in fear of playing us.

People will talk about kicking the wides against Dublin last year or not taking our chances yesterday but its been a trend for this Tyrone team over a couple of seasons. Against most teams we'll have enough to edge by but it's been a while from we ruthlessly beaten a team. At this stage Tyrone's free taking has been so poor its nearly worth carrying a player just to kick the frees. It's got to be worth 3 or 4 points a game which they way we're going we can't afford to be giving away.

Our system and style of play works best with players that have speed and can get up and down the field. At the moment too many players on the team have lost a couple of yards of pace and its hurting us. (Watch any DVD from 2003 or 2005 and note the difference). You might be able to carry one or two who have lost a yard of pace but there are 5 or 6 that are missing it now. They're still good footballers they just can't do it the way they used to.

People expecting the under 21s to come in to inter county football and perform at the highest level straight away are deluded. We mightn't win anything this year but they're going to need to get the experience at some stage- might as well be now.

ONeill

Agree with everything that man said.

Back to Longford. Wasn't there a boy from Longford who hated St Patrick when they were on the go?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Shamrock Shore

We don't like St. Patricks in our area. In Mostrim St Patricks = Ardagh.

St. Mel got on well with St. Patrick.

Mel Gibson was named after the cathedral in Longford.
Tyrone have never beaten Longford in the championship
Tyrone doesn't border two other provinces.
Larry Cunningham is from Longford

For these reasons we will win

maggie

Qwerty28

Pre match entertainment is going to feature Declan Nerney, Mick Flavin and the one and only Larry Cunningham!!

If we win, which I'm quietly confident we can, they are going to write and release a song and it will be played on loop on Shannonside and we'll start a campaign to get it to number one!!

Decent spot to stay, there arent many options but as mentioned in earlier post would be PVs on Ballymahon st, should be able to get details on google but if not get back to me and I'll dig out details!

Really want us to in this one badly, my missus is from Tyrone, have been at most of their championship matches over last number of years, incl 05 and 08 AIFS roaring them on but to quote Kevin Keegan, I would love it if we beat them, love it!!!! ;D

panc56

Larry to perform pretty little girl from Omagh pre game. Classic

ONeill

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 27, 2011, 06:33:04 PM

You're not getting off that handy. I was reading recently that one of Niall's children, Cairbre, was a fierce opponent of Patrick and his missionary work in the country. He lived in Granard. He tried to assassinate our patron saint and Paddy in return cursed him. The wicked humour they have in Longford (they did play Sheridan after all) meant that at the mound that marks Cairbre's palace in Granard is a statue of St Patrick. If Longford had their way we'd all be pagans and riding the neighbours' wives willy nilly.

So, having entered all that into the computer it says Longford 1-11 Tyrone 0-14.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Cde

Quote from: ONeill on June 27, 2011, 08:14:57 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 27, 2011, 06:33:04 PM

You're not getting off that handy. I was reading recently that one of Niall's children, Cairbre, was a fierce opponent of Patrick and his missionary work in the country. He lived in Granard. He tried to assassinate our patron saint and Paddy in return cursed him. The wicked humour they have in Longford (they did play Sheridan after all) meant that at the mound that marks Cairbre's palace in Granard is a statue of St Patrick. If Longford had their way we'd all be pagans and riding the neighbours' wives willy nilly.

So, having entered all that into the computer is says Longford 1-11 Tyrone 0-14.

now I'm really looking forward to a long weekend in Longford