Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 02, 2009, 04:36:52 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 02, 2009, 04:27:11 PM
Mickey Harte is likely to be the best placed manager to write a column as he is the most secure in his job. But, the question remains, what if there is a massive row in the Armagh v Tyrone first round clash, four players are sent off, there's crowd trouble. Would Mickey Harte feel comfortable writing a column then? I doubt it.

Fair point RAGS, but he's savvy enough not to stir things or use it as an apologist platform. I'd imagine he'll be writing more in the abstract than the specific, and steering well clear of the pitfalls and pratfalls.

I guess it depends on how the columnn is set out but I presume the Irish News would be hoping for a fair bit of insight into the inner workings. Harte is probably savvy enough to have been able to get the gig without having to mention too much about Tyrone. But, nonetheless, if there is something that is the talk of the country and its a controversy involving Tyrone, Harte will look stupid if he doesn't comment. Just putting himself in a slightly awkward position but then there's every chance there'll be no controversy involving Tyrone
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Maguire01

I'll look forward to reading his column, but i have to say that as GrandMasterFlash said, there could be some conflict from one point of view - for example, is Mickey going to analyse/comment on Jack O'Connor's performance/Kerry's training or onfield tactics and then have to line out against Kerry later in the year? (You could of course apply this to any team that Tyrone may meet.) Might that not be awkward or inappropriate for a serving manager?

He can't write a weekly column about the GPA/International Rules/Pay for Play etc constantly (if he did, it would be hard to keep it interesting), so surely he'll have to touch on 'team/player/manager specific' topics such as those i mentioned.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 02, 2009, 04:53:32 PM
He can't write a weekly column about the GPA/International Rules/Pay for Play etc constantly (if he did, it would be hard to keep it interesting), so surely he'll have to touch on 'team/player/manager specific' topics such as those i mentioned.

He's not just involved with football these days, there's boxing too, for one.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SidelineKick

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 02, 2009, 04:55:31 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 02, 2009, 04:53:32 PM

He's not just involved with football these days, there's boxing too, for one.

Let's not forget our most high holy God and Jesus Christ the saviour and all the angels and saints.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Maguire01

According to the paper, he's to be a GAA columnist.

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 02, 2009, 03:53:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 03:25:33 PM
So your argument is that he is against some Gaa people getting paid for something he doesn't do, but has no problem getting paid for his type of Gaa person?

Jeez, you'll have to do a bit better than that, that's simply gross misrepresentation/distortion. Simple: no pay for play, and only pay for play, and there's no hypocrisy in that.

Edit: Neither did MH ever look for money as a club and county player, nor have a go at Canavan for the few bob he makes for his columns.

That's simply gross misrepresentation/distortion.  ;D

What about grants for training (which cannot be described as pay for play) or more particularly the prospect of players striking to get the grants? I am not taking a position on the issue of players receiving money here, I am just suggesting that if he did and subsequently took money to talk about it, then in my opinion that would be hypocritical.

QuoteEdit: Neither did MH ever look for money as a club and county player, nor have a go at Canavan for the few bob he makes for his columns.
I never said he did, I wouldn't know.

MWWSI 2017

tyrone86

I may have imagined it, but didn't Mickey write a column for the ill fated "The Game" publication?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Quote from: tyrone86 on February 02, 2009, 06:44:18 PM
I may have imagined it, but didn't Mickey write a column for the ill fated "The Game" publication?

Loved Eamon Coleman's articles. It must have been a dictation job as twas just a stream of thought on anything.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Caid

Are we sure its the bearded one and not the also quite famous Mickey Joe Harte who could write a column on the fortunes of Lifford Naomh Padraig and Donegal GAA in general?  It could be a bit like the celebrity out and about columns you get in the Sun or the Star..."Devenney spotted last night with Gráinne Seoige eating chips in Bundoran" etc
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Zapatista

Quote from: Caid on February 02, 2009, 07:24:22 PM

Are we sure its the bearded one and not the also quite famous Mickey Joe Harte who could write a column on the fortunes of Lifford Naomh Padraig and Donegal GAA in general?  It could be a bit like the celebrity out and about columns you get in the Sun or the Star..."Devenney spotted last night with Gráinne Seoige eating chips in Bundoran" etc

Where can I get a copy?

muppet

Quote from: Caid on February 02, 2009, 07:24:22 PM

We need a good news story to cheer us up, how about 'Mugsy spotted snogging Jade Goody on nudist beach in Granard during fireworks display'?
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 06:39:22 PM

What about grants for training (which cannot be described as pay for play) or more particularly the prospect of players striking to get the grants? I am not taking a position on the issue of players receiving money here, I am just suggesting that if he did and subsequently took money to talk about it, then in my opinion that would be hypocritical.

Another totally blind assumption, and it's your prerogative to assume, which so far on this thread has only made an ass out of you, not me  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

GrandMasterFlash

It's fairly simple to me on reading the article; 'will give his take on major issues on and off the pitch' and 'Mickey will take his position on the Friday column'. If that's not a) a column or b) conflicting with his primary job then I need to get literary lessons..

Either way, as has been stated, Tyrone will hardly suffer but it can/will be difficult for him to comment on incidents if Tyrone or Tyrone's opponents are involved.

Tony Baloney

A lot of excitement over nothing. As a current manager he'll have absolutely nothing of any note to say on anything outside of Tyrone in case he makes someone cry. Current players, managers etc are bloody useless at this thing in any sport.