The Stench of Smokeless Watering Holes

Started by ONeill, May 07, 2007, 10:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I called into the Bot yesterday to see Arsenal win the title for Utd. The smell was excruciating. Not sure whether it was sweat, the passing of wind, toilets, last night's beer/wine spillage but it was close to being gag-inducing unbearable.

Did our southern friends suffer the same effect at the start or will it be something we'll need to get used to?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gnevin

Quote from: ONeill on May 07, 2007, 10:09:42 PM
I called into the Bot yesterday to see Arsenal win the title for Utd. The smell was excruciating. Not sure whether it was sweat, the passing of wind, toilets, last night's beer/wine spillage but it was close to being gag-inducing unbearable.

Did our southern friends suffer the same effect at the start or will it be something we'll need to get used to?
Yes it was horrible when it started allot of pub had to spend money on improving their toilets which wasn't bad since most havent spend money them since the 50's
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

O'Neill that was me, I saw you coming in and dropped the mother of all farts!   ;)
Tbc....

Hardy

It was a phenomenon widely commented upon here in the early days of the smoking ban, when we started to notice the pungency of the hum of flatulence in our hostelries. It's not so noticeable any more. I don't know whether that's because we've moderated our output of heady odours, now that they can't be surreptitiously discharged without attracting attention and comment, or because we're very adaptable creatures and we can get used to anything very quickly. We thought for generations it was normal to breathe smoke. We've even become used to Tyrone winning All-Irelands.

If we could time-travel back even a few decades before the universal availability of hot and cold running water, the first thing we'd notice would be the smell. But we'd be used to it in a week.

Spiritof98

I have worked in a bar 3 or 4 times already and I have to say the farts are the worst. Last night was the worst night I have experienced, I had 5 clients round the bar who although not monkeyed had been out all day and dropped bombs without a flinch. Stinking
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Donagh

Must have been a while since you were in the Bot, O'Neill. Undoubtedly the smoking ban hasn't helped but it deteriorated into a dirty stinking hole when it was sold about two years ago. Used to go in the odd time for lunch but the stench became unbearable long before the ban.

realredhandfan

Its the combination of spicy food, fizzy beer, lack of self control and surrounding loud noise makes us fart without even thinking in a bar, To fart subconciously can be a dangerous thing.... a very dangerous thing.   

The Iceman

the farts won't give you lung cancer or any other cancer for that matter.

The smoking ban is in place to protect the bar staff and the punters - welcome it and tell the Bot to sort out the smell!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

lynchbhoy

yes this is what 'we' mexicans experienced.

However, as you notherners are not adept at changing quickly, I think the smell problems will last longer then what was experienced down here!
Eventually I'd like to hope your bars will clean up and people learn to not drop one in populated areas !

even our students wash these days !  :)

his holiness nb

Burning candles makes a big difference.
Burns up the gas and neutralises the smell
Ask me holy bollix

Square Ball

ONeill, do you sit with the other Arsenal fans in the front of the bar?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ONeill

I used to. Once shared a few pints with Liam Brady in that corner. However, it has to be said, there are some odd Gooners who stand there and a wee bit too quirky for my liking. Some dead on fellas too though. I now linger at the opposite end at the entrance to that front bar.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Goats Do Shave

There has always been a vomit like smell on the right as you walk in...under the big screen. - That or a dead rat or something terrible.

:-\