Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 13, 2018, 10:22:37 PM
If you read back on this thread you might notice it wasn't just o'rourke had an issue with the ref...
As Dick Clerkin remarked it's not the ref's decisions which lost the game, it's those decisions made and opportunities not taken during a game which were well within Monaghan's control which had the much greater effect on the outcome.
Without hitting true form, Monaghan brought the game to the wire albeit against a team who similarly dis-functioned,  there's definite progress from last year.
The other 2 defeats to Tyrone  at Croke park  didn't leave me at all positive that Monaghan could move up a level from that.
Now the future for Monaghan football is more positive than it has ever been, the farney support is rock solid behind the team, the evidence of that could be seen in the thousands that traveled all the way down to Waterford, not just to watch a formality of a victory but to make a huge positive statement in the aftermath of that loss against Fermanagh.
All the work over the years  in the county has laid a strong foundation which the senior team can replenish from. The team will come back stronger next year with higher targets which are that bit more tangible. You'd hope that Malachy can properly integrate the natural talent McCarthy and McCarron and a few others into being more effective players for the team.

Silver hill

In a one point game, all decisions by the ref with be magnified by the losing team. That's always the way. However, as a neutral, I did think the ref yesterday was sorer on Monaghan and they lost out in the tight calls at crucial points in the game. Tyrone took the one goal chance they had and that's the difference. It won't be a popular viewpoint but in my opinion, when the game was in the melting point, I thought Beggan got a little carried away with his own hype. Instead of working the ball in to the inside forwards, he actually was going for the equaliser. I don't believe he was simply launching a Hail Mary to hughes. Only he will know for sure, but I think it was an attempted point from 60 yards. Very poor game management, as was the late attempt fromMcmanus over the shoulder when moving away from the goals. That aside, he's still the best forward in Ireland at present.

ONeill

Quote from: trailer on August 13, 2018, 10:31:36 PM
Quote from: clarshack on August 13, 2018, 10:17:23 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 13, 2018, 09:35:46 PM
+1 on the traffic yesterday. Absolute madness.

Where did yous park? Parked near O'Connell Street and left there around 5.30pm. it was very busy at the port tunnel and then on the M1. Took 3 hours overall to get home that way.

Parked about 5 - 10 mins from the port tunnel. Took nearly 1 hour to get back to it. Was well over 4 hours getting home. I couldn't live in a place with that sort of traffic, how people in Dublin do it I'll never know.

I was out of Clonliffe like a shot and home by 715.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Schkite

Quote from: trailer on August 13, 2018, 10:19:18 PM
Think Tyrone are 4-5 points a better team. Reality is Monaghan gave it their all and it wasn't enough. Tyrone weren't as good as they can be. O'Rouke knows this. He knew Monaghan had to have the game of their lives which they did, and Tyrone have an off day which they did. Monaghan had nothing more, hence he focused in on the ref. Monaghan had no more answers.

You have to be taking the piss if you thought Monaghan had the game of their lives, plenty of chances went amiss and alot of mistakes were made.

Neither team played to their best, Tyrone just about edged it. There's no gulf between the sides like some would like to portray, it's as if you're making excuses for not winning by more.

yellowcard

Quote from: trailer on August 13, 2018, 10:19:18 PM
Think Tyrone are 4-5 points a better team. Reality is Monaghan gave it their all and it wasn't enough. Tyrone weren't as good as they can be. O'Rouke knows this. He knew Monaghan had to have the game of their lives which they did, and Tyrone have an off day which they did. Monaghan had nothing more, hence he focused in on the ref. Monaghan had no more answers.

Totally condescending. Also totally inaccurate.

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on August 13, 2018, 10:49:21 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 13, 2018, 10:22:37 PM
If you read back on this thread you might notice it wasn't just o'rourke had an issue with the ref...
As Dick Clerkin remarked it's not the ref's decisions which lost the game, it's those decisions made and opportunities not taken during a game which were well within Monaghan's control which had the much greater effect on the outcome.
Without hitting true form, Monaghan brought the game to the wire albeit against a team who similarly dis-functioned,  there's definite progress from last year.
The other 2 defeats to Tyrone  at Croke park  didn't leave me at all positive that Monaghan could move up a level from that.
Now the future for Monaghan football is more positive than it has ever been, the farney support is rock solid behind the team, the evidence of that could be seen in the thousands that traveled all the way down to Waterford, not just to watch a formality of a victory but to make a huge positive statement in the aftermath of that loss against Fermanagh.
All the work over the years  in the county has laid a strong foundation which the senior team can replenish from. The team will come back stronger next year with higher targets which are that bit more tangible. You'd hope that Malachy can properly integrate the natural talent McCarthy and McCarron and a few others into being more effective players for the team.

Good summary there, would agree with all of it. Hard not to be a bit distraught at how close we came to reaching the big day in September as those opportunities don't come around very often, God knows they don't for Monaghan. And regardless of the poor ref, we had the chances to see it out but we didn't.

But there are reasons to be optimistic as you say. Apart from the old warhorses Vinny and Dessie (noone would be surprised to see them call it a day and they don't owe the county anything - yet I think Vinny would play into his 40s if he's let) the age profile of the panel is very healthy with a good mix, and we should be right back in the Super 8s next year for another crack. We've had a good run at underage in Ulster in recent years, which brings up fellas who are used to winning things and competing with the country's best in Croke Park. The young lads in the team did very well this year, and hopefully we'll continue to bring through that youth on the verge, the likes of Wilson, Bannigan, Garland and McGinn(who I'm sure we'd have seen plenty of this year only for that awful injury). The likes of Kearns, McAnespie and McCarthy also will only continue to improve and have many big days ahead of them hopefully.

sam03/05

Monaghan will never play in an All Ireland Final, they are just too much of a silly County, with silly fans who lose the run of themselves when they get some limited success.

Jayop

Quote from: clarshack on August 13, 2018, 10:17:23 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 13, 2018, 09:35:46 PM
+1 on the traffic yesterday. Absolute madness.

Where did yous park? Parked near O'Connell Street and left there around 5.30pm. it was very busy at the port tunnel and then on the M1. Took 3 hours overall to get home that way.

Sean Macdemott Street. The last few times I drove I've headed for around Mountjoy Square Park and it's been OK to get out of, this was a pure nightmare. I'm heading for heading the Longford direction too which makes a bit of a difference.

Jayop

Main Street being an absolute gent after the game is a bit shocking. Fair play to you brother. I'm personally a bitter old bollox and if I thought the ref rode me everyone would know all about it.  :D :D

I'm actually about 100x more chill watching a game live than I am at home. I think that could be a combination of actually having a replay so you're sure you were rode on a decision whereas at the game it's impossible to know for certain unless it's right infront of you, and also having to listen to the likes of Dessie Dolan also puts the blood pressure up a few notches. There was a few gulpins around me from Monaghan yesterday and I'm sure there was plenty of gulpins from Tyrone too in the place. I'm sure like always 99% of both fans were sound as a bell.

Silver hill

Quote from: sam03/05 on August 13, 2018, 11:19:05 PM
Monaghan will never play in an All Ireland Final, they are just too much of a silly County, with silly fans who lose the run of themselves when they get some limited success.

There it is, and you wonder why tyrone are reviled throughout the country. Is a little grace in victory too much to expect. Perhaps not. Stay classy.

Jayop

Quote from: Silver hill on August 14, 2018, 12:04:22 AM

There it is, and you wonder why tyrone are reviled throughout the country. Is a little grace in victory too much to expect. Perhaps not. Stay classy.

And there it is from yourself you whopper. Taking the words from one edjit and saying its representative when almost every Tyrone fan here has said nothing like that. Baffling.

Jayop

Just watching it back now and hadn't noticed the deliberate trip on colm after ten minutes. Should have been a black.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Silver hill on August 14, 2018, 12:04:22 AM

A Derry man who hasn't posted in almost a year  ::)

omaghjoe

Quote from: Jayop on August 14, 2018, 01:41:06 AM
Just watching it back now and hadn't noticed the deliberate trip on colm after ten minutes. Should have been a black.

Did ye not know that the black card was brought in to stop big bad Tyronies, ye cant be giving black cards to their opposing team.

square_ball

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 14, 2018, 03:51:03 AM
Quote from: Jayop on August 14, 2018, 01:41:06 AM

Did ye not know that the black card was brought in to stop big bad Tyronies, ye cant be giving black cards to their opposing team.

And fair play to Mickey. Recognised McNamee should have had a black card and took him off straight after. Not many managers would do that.