Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

A very tight game fought out by two teams close enough in merit to each other at this time of the season. The game could have gone either way, though I thought Tyrone deserved the one point victory, just about. When it came to the crunch they took their goal chance well and in a tight game that had a huge effect in the last 1/4.  At the game's death, Beggan struck a hit and hope ball, the worst decision he could have made at that time.   

Dire Ear

Good sum-up Estimater, too many bitter biased wnks on here, many mistakes were made and best team won -end of

cjx

Quote from: Estimator on August 12, 2018, 08:02:43 PM

The closeness of the game today meant that it was certainly more interesting than yesterdays game. Though the quality wasn't fantastic at all. Poor wides and bad decision making throughout. The amount of lads who lost/dropped/mis-controlled the ball while soloing under no real pressure was unreal.

McAlliskey hits a great free off the ground from 40 odd yards under the Hoganstand. Then fires two terrible wides immediately after. Some of the shooting from distance from Monaghan was awful.

Sitting with three other lads all hoping for a Tyrone defeat, and none mentioned the performance of the ref. Bar the Black Card decision for McNamee and Cavanagh's charge. (Barry Cassidy blew against James McCarthy for the same thing yesterday) which he got wrong, I didn't think that he favoured Tyrone. Might have to watch the game back.

I think that Tyrone were the better team. Monaghan struggled to get scores from play at the start of the second half. I think they had the first two opportunities and put them both wide.

Tyrone are in the final and anything can happen. Today's performance will not be good enough to beat Dublin. And fingers crossed they play like that and Dublin beat them out the gate.  ;D

The quality of the game was awful Tyrone failed frequently in basic skills, had awful decision making and horrendous shot selection on so many occasions with 10 wide but also 7-8 short
If Tyrone play like that Dublin will beat them far worse than last year.  But things don't work that way.

Harte made a mistake not playing the team announced on Thursday night I wanted Lee Brennan to play a full game but he is clearly lazy in turns of Tyrone's system and better coming on as sub.

The early start seemed to leave Kieran McGeary a very slow starter. Let them both work themselves up on the bench then come on at about 40 min as per Donegal.

Into the final (10 drought over) more lessons learned and all to play for.

As a Tyrone supporter today was draining/exhausting from frustration at really bad Tyrone decision making from I believe a mixture of semi-final fear and over confidence about Monaghan
Still the determination in the defense especially Colm Cavanagh was great and Tyrone have got the bad stuff out now and I believe can only get better with Dublin getting arrogant no matter how much Gavin and Sherlock try to prevent it.

It ain't over til its over so on to the Final and a full house with hopefully a few thousand more Tyrone supporters there.

straightred

Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2018, 08:15:49 PM
You cannot say that Monaghan were the better team and be serious at the same time.
He (or she) can. on what basis were tyrone the better ? The first 20 mins ? They got a lucky enough goal (well finished mind you) and a few very questionable decisions in their favour. A draw would have been about right and then let the best team go on and win it in extra time.

straightred

Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2018, 08:33:58 PM
Quote from: straightred on August 12, 2018, 08:27:13 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2018, 08:15:49 PM
You cannot say that Monaghan were the better team and be serious at the same time.
He (or she) can. on what basis were tyrone the better ? The first 20 mins ? They got a lucky enough goal (well finished mind you) and a few very questionable decisions in their favour. A draw would have been about right and then let the best team go on and win it in extra time.
Ah, come on. Tyrone played the better football and had more control of the game. Monaghan relied on scrappy, cheap frees to keep them in touch.
were we watching different matches. Tyrone were well on top at the start but thats it. Monaghan clawed them back and even got ahead at one stage. There was nothing in it either way. As for the cheap frees comment i take that that is tongue in cheek ?

ONeill

Quote from: cjx on August 12, 2018, 08:26:51 PM
Quote from: Estimator on August 12, 2018, 08:02:43 PM

The closeness of the game today meant that it was certainly more interesting than yesterdays game. Though the quality wasn't fantastic at all. Poor wides and bad decision making throughout. The amount of lads who lost/dropped/mis-controlled the ball while soloing under no real pressure was unreal.

McAlliskey hits a great free off the ground from 40 odd yards under the Hoganstand. Then fires two terrible wides immediately after. Some of the shooting from distance from Monaghan was awful.

Sitting with three other lads all hoping for a Tyrone defeat, and none mentioned the performance of the ref. Bar the Black Card decision for McNamee and Cavanagh's charge. (Barry Cassidy blew against James McCarthy for the same thing yesterday) which he got wrong, I didn't think that he favoured Tyrone. Might have to watch the game back.

I think that Tyrone were the better team. Monaghan struggled to get scores from play at the start of the second half. I think they had the first two opportunities and put them both wide.

Tyrone are in the final and anything can happen. Today's performance will not be good enough to beat Dublin. And fingers crossed they play like that and Dublin beat them out the gate.  ;D

The quality of the game was awful Tyrone failed frequently in basic skills, had awful decision making and horrendous shot selection on so many occasions with 10 wide but also 7-8 short
If Tyrone play like that Dublin will beat them far worse than last year.  But things don't work that way.

Harte made a mistake not playing the team announced on Thursday night I wanted Lee Brennan to play a full game but he is clearly lazy in turns of Tyrone's system and better coming on as sub.

The early start seemed to leave Kieran McGeary a very slow starter. Let them both work themselves up on the bench then come on at about 40 min as per Donegal.

Into the final (10 drought over) more lessons learned and all to play for.

As a Tyrone supporter today was draining/exhausting from frustration at really bad Tyrone decision making from I believe a mixture of semi-final fear and over confidence about Monaghan
Still the determination in the defense especially Colm Cavanagh was great and Tyrone have got the bad stuff out now and I believe can only get better with Dublin getting arrogant no matter how much Gavin and Sherlock try to prevent it.

It ain't over til its over so on to the Final and a full house with hopefully a few thousand more Tyrone supporters there.

Don't really know how Tyrone won that. Wides, poor last balls, dropped shorts.....probably one of their worst collective performances this year....luckily Monaghan were as bad.

Exciting stuff though. Pete Harte grabbed the game by the balls after Monaghan hit the front and Colm secured his All Star.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Over 70 minutes they probably , just, deserved to win it. There isn't no question about it though. The goal was debatably fortunate enough. Without it monaghan probably win. tyrone blitzed them for short periods but couldn't sustain it and sure went for a very long time second half without scoring. If there was no question they were the better team that would not have happened.

nrico2006

Tyrone were due a poor performance; they have played a lot of football this summer. The few weeks break will do them good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rois

One of our own gaaboarders was on the Marty Squad this evening...well done.

Good man Main street - you typify all of the Monaghan supporters I encountered today.  So so gracious. 

straightred

Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2018, 08:55:27 PM
There was never a stage I thought Monaghan would win.
We'll agree to differ as I thought they would when they went ahead. The atmosphere all around seemed to change too

Gold

Quote from: straightred on August 12, 2018, 09:01:07 PM
We'll agree to differ as I thought they would when they went ahead. The atmosphere all around seemed to change too

Unfortunately Tyrone immediately got the goal. Stroke of luck that the deflection from the block landed at Sluddens feet

Small margins decided by the ref. A few of the frees were laughable, well they would be if it wasnt such high stakes and Monaghan might never be back.

Sickened by the diving. Plus say when McManus rolled his man in 2nd half and played the pass soccer style only to be blown back for a non push in the back...Mon went from a 3 on 1 goal chance to Tyrone scoring a point in 30 seconds

Ref awful yesterday too. He was awful in the Dublin Longford game too...giving everything to the Dubs and nothing for Longford....totally buckling to the hill

Seen Dublin 5 times at Croker this year. Cannot see Tyrone stopping them...dont think they have enough. Would love anyone to stop Dublin as would most of the country ...but not Tyrone. Their slabbering (Hampsey to McManus after misses) and diving etc have left the whole country to have no real love for them
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

When they took the lead i thought they had a real chance. The rebound for that goal could have went anywhere. Had it went out then monaghan likely would have won.

Anyway doesn't matter now but in most cases if a team is unquestionably better they win by a lot more than one point...

ONeill

Ref gave Hughes a free late on for what? Couldn't see a foul.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

A wins a win and that was the most nerve wrecking last 5 mins I've experienced in a long time. I'm very happy to squeeze into and AI final, with nobody giving us a chance - bring on the Dubs!! It's such a great feeling to be back in a final. Where would we be without Collie Cav though?

Hard luck to Monaghan, I think Tyrone and Monaghan are virtually at the exact same level and any given day one team may be lucky to be on the right side of a close victory. Thankfully today it was us but I genuinely would like to see this Monaghan team contest an AI final. The Monaghan fans round us (bar one complete arsehole) were brilliant craic and were very magnanimous at the end. They have every right to feel frustrated tonight.
That was never a square ball!!