Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Maybe i'm alone but i enjoyed that game and would take a contest like that over a team hammering a poorly defensive team any day of the week. I think over the course of the game a draw would have been a fair result. Ref wasn't good for either side as Nolan is a poor ref anyway and in a low scoring game that goal was huge.

If Tyrone defend well in the final (unlike Galway yesterday) i think they will push Dublin all the way.

BennyCake

It's a bit like England getting to the World Cup final. You don't want them anywhere near it, as they might fluke their way to win the feckin' thing.

I feel a bit like that now, now Tyrone are in the final. But unlike their previous three appearances, I don't think they have enough to trouble their opponents this time.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 12, 2018, 05:35:38 PM
Maybe i'm alone but i enjoyed that game and would take a contest like that over a team hammering a poorly defensive team any day of the week. I think over the course of the game a draw would have been a fair result. Ref wasn't good for either side as Nolan is a poor ref anyway and in a low scoring game that goal was huge.

If Tyrone defend well in the final (unlike Galway yesterday) i think they will push Dublin all the way.

I would agree that it was enjoyable.

RedHand88

Quote from: Sandy Hill on August 12, 2018, 05:31:46 PM
Quote from: pbat on August 12, 2018, 05:14:58 PM
Two frees given were the difference, one close to half-time and Cavanagh's dive. Seemed all 50/50 went Tyrone's way.

Without a doubt the referee carried Tyrone over the line, a hollow victory. Paddy Power seem to agree — they have Dublin @ 1/7 and Tyrone @ 11/2.

Tyrone were 7/4 in 08 and won pulling up short. You have to understand the bookies odds Will follow money as much as form.

tyroneman

Quote from: Sandy Hill on August 12, 2018, 05:31:46 PM
Quote from: pbat on August 12, 2018, 05:14:58 PM
Two frees given were the difference, one close to half-time and Cavanagh's dive. Seemed all 50/50 went Tyrone's way.

Without a doubt the referee carried Tyrone over the line, a hollow victory. Paddy Power seem to agree — they have Dublin @ 1/7 and Tyrone @ 11/2.

What utter nonsense. Ref most certainly did not favour Tyrone. Both teams had their chances. Tyrone took (marginally) more.of theirs.

square_ball

As standard when the referee is poor (for both sides) the focus is all on the poor calls given against the team that loses.

nrico2006

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2018, 05:24:47 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 12, 2018, 05:16:41 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2018, 05:13:53 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 12, 2018, 05:11:29 PM
Lucky win for Tyrone. Monghan had their chances to win and will be kicking themselves more so when they watch that game back.
Tyrone had plenty of wasted chances and were the better team, if we're honest.

Wide count was the same. Tyrone took their goal chance Monaghan didn't take their two goal chances first half the difference.

With two teams matched that evenly the ref can have a big say... and he did. The cavanagh free and the harte one in the first half. Two point swing.

Saying that tyrone should have had the game over after 15 to 20 minutes.

Free given against McAliskey in 1st half too, ended up a score. Was never a free against him. Nudged in the back when going down to lift.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

MayoBuck

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 12, 2018, 05:35:38 PM

I thought it was an enjoyable game too. To be fair, as long as games are close and competitive I wouldn't complain too much. It's all a matter of opinion but I can't understand watching Arsenal v Man City over a game like that.

red hander

Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2018, 05:21:11 PM
A Pyrrhic victory for Throne with the Dubz up next

If you're not in it, you can't win it. Can't see us playing as bad as that against the Dubs. Very nervy shooting-wise. Should have been well ahead at half-time.

Orchard park

A good while since we saw only 3 mins additional  time which O'Rourke  seems  rightly pissed off with

straightred

Quote from: Orchard park on August 12, 2018, 06:36:12 PM
A good while since we saw only 3 mins additional  time which O'Rourke  seems  rightly pissed off with

hes right to be. I thought monaghan were shafted. The worst decision was the barge come dive from cavanagh in the 2nd half.
The ref needs to be wise to that carry on. Mcmanus was taken out of it in the 1st half on the hogan stand sideline. Nothing given and tyrone go down and score. I don't know if there was a free in at the end as I was a long way away from it but regardless of that at this level the players deserve better. I expected 5 mins extra - for that amount of subs, injuries and time wasting that would have been about right

bennydorano

The barge / dive was comical, how the ref bought that I'll never know. Cavanagh was superb tho.

Jinxy

Kieran Hughes made a big difference when he came on, despite some of the daft ball that was lumped in on top of him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Owen Brannigan

The referee was so bad he made yesterday's display look good.

An Watcher

Tyrone have played better in semi finals and lost so it's great to get over the line.  Much rather head into the final after playing poorly than annihilating the opposition and raising expectations.
Not sure how much of a chance we have but we'll turn up anyway for the craic