RIP Michaela McAreavey

Started by MR99, January 10, 2011, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

If the measure of a person is their behaviour in adversity, Mickey Harte is a remarkable man. Watching that interview was heart-wrenching. I could not have done what he did. He would not have wished to be tested like this, but his dignified demeanour, at a time when he and his family desperately need the support of the community was uplifting. It actually seems to reassure that community itself that his family is well served and has great strength to draw on in this awful time.

(Fear ón Srath Bán, those were well composed words.)

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on January 12, 2011, 10:33:38 AM
If the measure of a person is their behaviour in adversity, Mickey Harte is a remarkable man. Watching that interview was heart-wrenching. I could not have done what he did. He would not have wished to be tested like this, but his dignified demeanour, at a time when he and his family desperately need the support of the community was uplifting. It actually seems to reassure that community itself that his family is well served and has great strength to draw on in this awful time.

Dínit an Bhróin

Nochtaíodh domsa tráth
Dínit mhór an bhróin,
Ar fheiceáil dom beirt bhan
Ag siúl amach ó shlua
I bhfeisteas caointe dubh
Gan focal astu beirt:
D'imigh an dínit leo
Ón slua callánach mór.
Bhí freastalán istigh
Ó línéar ar an ród,
Fuadar faoi gach n-aon,
Gleo ann is caint ard;
Ach an beirt a bhí ina dtost,
A shiúil amach leo féin
I bhfeisteas caointe dubh,
D'imigh an dínit leo.

The Dignity of Grief

Grief 's great dignity
Was revealed to me once
On seeing two women
Emerging from a crowd
In black mourning
Each without a word:
Dignity left with them
From the large and clamorous throng.
A tender was in
From a liner in the roads
And everyone was rushing,
There was tumult and loud talk;
But the pair who were silent,
Who walked out on their own
In black mourning
Left with dignity.
Máirtín Ó Direáin

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Nice piece by MoM

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/michaela-was-truly-special-and-i-was-privileged-to-have-known-her-2492724.html
Michaela was truly special and I was privileged to have known her'
By Micheal O Muircheartaigh
Wednesday January 12 2011
I was listening to RTE radio in a manner that could never be replicated with television; I was conscious of the words flowing forth but yet busy in concentration on some other matter.
Suddenly two words resonated through the airwaves -- Michaela Harte -- and immediately they captured my full attention.
Before long I had the initial story about the tragedy that had befallen the young lady from Tyrone who lost her life while on honeymoon in Mauritius with her husband of less than two weeks, John McAreavey from Down.
To say that the news was heart-rending would be an understatement from anyone who ever had the privilege of meeting Michaela and getting even a glimmer of the wonderful human being she was.
I can say that I had the honour on many occasions over the past 15 years or thereabouts of talking to her and from the start she impressed me as somebody who was really special.
She always looked well, she smiled with ease and grace, smiles of inner happiness, she spoke in a friendly manner, mostly in the Irish language and never once can I recall her being other than positive and hopeful about the future.
I remember that she spoke to me in Irish on our first meeting and expressed her great interest in the language and of course in Gaelic football as well.
Understand
The latter was not difficult to understand because she was the daughter of Mickey Harte and football had been part of the Harte household for decades.
Michaela was always at Mickey's side at training sessions and at matches 'big and small' throughout the country.
Somehow I soon regarded her as almost a member of the teams managed by her father and it was obvious a very special bond existed between the pair.
To me that mutual understanding had many elements; and pride, faith and hope would be among them but above all loyalty to each other and the great 'cause' of Tyrone football.
Before long I began to believe that both were on a mission, one that would bring the county to the pinnacle of senior success in time. It is possible that the vision was hatched in Michaela's mind.
The Gaelic world is well aware of the great days that brought that to reality with Michaela ever a part of the 'team'. Without ever gloating over the fantastic successses she witnessed there was no doubting her admiration for the players who led the way and brought the Sam Maguire Cup to the county on three occasions.
Meanwhile, she had completed her third-level education in Saint Mary's College in Belfast and often told me about her good progress with the Irish language.
Soon she began her teaching career and quickly became popular with pupils, fellow teachers and parents alike.
The world appeared at her feet and her marriage to John was hailed far and wide. And then suddenly those words from the radio scattered sadness and disbelief throughout the country and beyond.
It must be completely beyond the ability of the Harte and McAreavey families to make sense of the sequence of events that led to the tragedy of the death of one so perfect as the Michaela that I was proud to call a friend.
Our sympathies go forth to them and if it's any consolation there were not too many humans over the ages with the characteristics that almost pre-ordained that heaven was made for such.
A few lines from a poem on the death of a young person by Padraig Pearse are appropriate.
'Ag gabháil an tsléibhe dom tráthnona,
Do labhair an éanlaith liom go brónach,
Labhair an naosc binn 'san crotach glórach,
Ag faisnéis dom gur éag mo stórach.
Brón ar an mbás ní féidir é shéanadh.
Leagann sé úr agus críon le chéile.
The words tell how nature, birds and all proclaim the sad news of the death of one so young. And how at times death treats both young and old with disdain.
- Micheal O Muircheartaigh
Irish Independent
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Croí na hÉireann

Still shocked over this as indeed most people seem to be. We were on the terrace in Mullingar last night expressing our disbelief at the tragedy when a sssshhh started working its way down the terrace (there was no PA system). Upon looking out at the field everyone was stationed with their heads bowed and instinctively everyone knew what was going on and who the minute's silence was for. It was impeccably observed.

May the Harte's and McAreavey's somehow find the strength to overcome this grief and may she rest in peace.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on January 12, 2011, 06:08:20 AM
Always enjoy reading your posts John. I new at this tragic time your first comment would be special. This poetry should be in Michealas Mass card. Absolutely brilliant. What a tribute to one of Irelands finest daughters.

Quote from: Hardy on January 12, 2011, 10:33:38 AM

Go raibh míle maith agaibh a chairde. Added an additional verse, couldn't leave it with that stark finality.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

020304 Tir Eoghain

Just after reading the entire thread. Unbelievable & tragic.

God must've needed another angel.

RIP Michaela.

Condolences to the Harte & McAreavey Families.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Man Marker

Just lost for words, the intereview on TV was complusive viewing, very dignified and articulate. There world has fallen apart. RIP

Trout

Would the fellas that have been charged be stupid enough not to know that their swipe card identified them, considering they worked In the hotel would they not know this? You just hope they got the right people and not just the first few that came to hand to quell the bad publicity.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

ziggysego

Any messages of condolences can be sent to the Harte family, via Tyrone GAA. Email them at pro.tyrone@gaa.ie
Testing Accessibility

boojangles

Deeply shocking news. RIP Michela.
Always had great respect for Mickey Harte but after watching that interview yesterday I was lost for words how the man can still show so much humility and dignity. He is a credit to Tyrone and Ireland and my prayers are with him, his family and the Mc Areaveys.

orangeman

It's taken me a bit of time to compose myself but here goes :

I don't know the Mc Areavey family but from what you see and hear,  they are very respectable  people. As Mickey Harte said in his interview, John Mc Areavey had to be a very special man in order to marry Michaela which speaks volumes for the man that he clearly is.  With all the talk of the Harte family and Mickey's huge profile, one can easily lose sight of the fact that a young man has lost his newly wedded wife and his life is now in ruins. I don't want to forget about the Mc Areavey family and would remind people of the incalculable loss that is being felt by all sides.

It's remarkable that although not known to everyone, her death has caused such widespread pain and sadness, even by those that didn't even know her or who never had the pleasure of meeting her. The number of people, myself included, who on hearing the news or watching television footage have shed tears is incredible. Women, children, grown men, perceived hard men all have been moved  by this shocking and unimaginable event. Like the family, everyone is searching through the wreckage for some sort of meaning. As Mickey said to Mark Sidebottom yesterday, he is looking for a meaning for this but like the rest of us, right now we can't find one. God knows if we ever will.

Mickey Harte, his wife and children have always been one of the nicest, most decent, courteous, mannerly and above all else Christian families I have ever encountered. They were and are the epitome of all that is good in Irish society, all that is positive about us as a race.

To rear such a beautiful child as Micheala and to have to bury this child is simply beyond comprehension. Having to bury a child is surely one of the hardest events that a parent could ever be asked to deal with. Burying a child, this child in particular, under these particularly horrific circumstances must constitute the greatest test of a person.

Mickey and his family have great faith and I hope that this faith in God stands to them at this most difficult of times.

Mickey and the Harte family have travelled the length and breadth of Ireland and beyond, consoling and sympathising with other grief stricken families who have lost dear ones. I'd say there's hardly a county in Ireland that Mickey hasn't visited in order to provide comfort to other families. How ironic and cruel it is for such tragedy to now visit them and in Mickey's words, it's their time to carry the cross. But such a cross to be asked to carry !.

I've no doubt that the GAA fraternity who have so often listened to Mickey's  inspirational words will rally round and support the Harte and Mc Areavey families at this tragic time. Mickey has dealt with tragedy before, but nothing can possibly prepare them for this. If anyone can deal with such adversity, Mickey can.

I trust that the Harte and Mc Areavey families will find comfort in the messages of sympathy and support that are coming in from every part of the globe.

There is something inherently wrong and cruel about this death on an island described by some as paradise – look at the picture postcard hotel, the scenery, the beautiful ocean, the sand, the palm trees, the swimming pool – two lovely young people on honeymoon, starting out on life's journey together, with the world at their feet.

Fiona Looney in today's Irish Mail wrote about Michaela and I will try and post it on here later on. But the stark headline read " People like Michaela light the way for all of us".  Fiona Looney talks about Michaela and how her loss is felt by everyone and how this great loss is accentuated by the fact that Michaela "really did represent everything that was good and decent about us".

May she rest in peace with the Angels in Heaven and may the light that she shone throughout her too short life never be extinguished. May that radiant light continue to shine on her husband, Mickey, Marion and her brothers and the entire Harte and Mc Areavey families and on all of us who feel such loss.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam dílis.

Joxer

Fear ón Srath Bán

You did your composition time justice there om.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

I know there's the Tyronegaa book of condolences but, going by the reaction of Stephen McGahan's family to the same gesture, it might be a good idea to get this into some form of edited condolence from this gaaboard thread. Some heartfelt contributions. Ziggy'd be the man.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zulu

Still can't put into words exactly how I feel, some of the lads here have already captured my thoughts better than I ever could. I'm simply heartbroken and I'm not one to get too emotional about death but this tragedy has impacted upon me in a real way even though I never met Michaela. Mickey Harte's courageous statement only served to underline the greatness of the man and my own sorrow at this awful event. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam dílis.