Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Zapatista on July 12, 2010, 09:53:41 AM
Quote from: Hound on July 12, 2010, 09:23:31 AM

Jeez Zap, did you look at it or what?

Sludden didnt give the umpire any chance, he didnt want to know. He just ordered him to award the goal. Now maybe he should have stood his ground and refused to wave the flag unless Sludden gave him a proper hearing, but that's about as likely to happen as Sheridan holding his hands up and saying it wasn't legal.

I'v looked at it over and over. There was an exchange of words between Sludden and the umpire. It was hard to see who spoke first as sludden was running away from the camera but it looked to me like the umpire did. We have no idea what was said. It took a few second and the umpire looked like his opinion was confirmed by Sludden.

Your version of events are sensationalised which does noboady any good.
Sensationalised my arse.

There are pictures on this thread and in the papers today of the umpire standing, holding his hand in the air, trying to attract the attention of the ref.

As has been mentioned numerous times on this thread and by Fitzpatrick on TV interviews, the Louth defender (who was standing beside the umpire and ref) told Fitzpatrick that the ref just told the umpire to give the goal. He did not want to know what the umpire had to say, there was no consultation. Now I'm sure you might accuse the defender or manager of lying, but it doesnt matter to Louth whether it was the umpire or the ref who gave the wrong decision. But the TV pictures clearly show that the ref gave the umpire no opportunity to explain himself. 

Banna Man

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 12, 2010, 11:01:56 AM
One thing is clear, Joe Sheridan is not a cheat, BUT...

he could be forgiven for claiming it as a goal at the time and maybe shortly after the game. However, after reading that interview with the Examiner he would sicken your hole. Talk about a lack of honour and decorum. He says it should have been allowed because use he was over the line before he let go of it/threw it. For fcuk sake Joe how did the ball get over the line? Whilst you were holding it! Thus an illegal goal. It doesn't matter if you were fouled (you weren't) the goal shouldn't have been given and you should have to grace to say so.

I think that any player in this game would do the same. But i do agree that he should have just went home after the game and done no interveiws.

Jinxy

He thinks he was pushed over the line.
Did you ever ship a challenge in a game and think to yourself "That has to be a free" whereas everyone else sees nothing wrong with it?
To say he has no honour is yet more hysterical nonsense.
One thing we can be sure of, if Tyrone were involved they would definitely hold their hands up straight away and offer the cup to Louth.  ::)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

Can someone quote me the rule that says if a team offers a replay that it is allowable?

Really the level of discussion and analysis of this is a joke, especially with our so-called GAA media experts. The mechanism is there for the GAA to do the right thing (as they were keen to do with Paul Galvin and Tomas Ó'Sé recently) so why do they not do it? This is a complete scandal and if I were a Louth man I'd never be at a county game again.

mckieran

QuoteHe was grinning because one of the Louth players elbowed him in the chest then another lad squared up to him.

Still not appropriate; He had just scored a completely illegal goal. He should have been keeping his head down instead of provoking the situation. Can you imagine being in the Louth players position that he was grinning at? If it was me he was grinning at, I certainly would not have shown the restraint that some of those Louth guys did.

I actually hope that the GAA take this opportunity to introduce some new rules like:
1) Any player who attempts loiters near the referee when he consults with linesman / umpire gets an aoutomatic yellow
2) Any goalkeeper who waves a wide when the ball is going over should get an automatic yellow. This is a common thing for DonalOg Cusuack and is especially prevalent in hurling. This is also a form of cheating and should be stopped. They are trying to influence the umpire into an incorrect decision

An Gaeilgoir

Well whether or not there is a replay, yesterday was a watershed, that will be the last GAA game where supporters will be allowed on to the pitch. Expect to see fencing/ barricades of some discription been put in place, there could have been a serious public order issue yesterday and to see the Croke park steward on the ground,  with a distraught young Louth supporter crying after it seems been hit by a bottle on the head near the tunnel area was shocking. Yesterday was a turning point sadly, but no way will the Gardai or indeed the stadium insurers allow the practice of pitch invasions anymore.

Declan

Quotebut no way will the Gardai or indeed the stadium insurers allow the practice of pitch invasions anymore.

And quite rightly too

mckieran

QuoteExpect to see fencing/ barricades of some discription been put in place

It'll be sad to see that.

skeog

order a replay and no admission fee common sense should prevail

AZOffaly

Somebody made the point earlier about the fact that thank God the Meath players didn't react when one of them was struck by that little bollox in the number 13 jersey (who was the voice of reason initially!!).

Imagine if the Meath lads ended up in a pitch battle with the Louth fans? It would have been truly disastrous.

I can't believe some of the stuff I am reading here about the langers that were elbowing, shouldering and throwing punches at the ref, and throwing bottles. That's completely out of order, and has no place in the GAA. The same lads would be sneering at soccer 'fans' if they saw that at a league of Ireland game.

Imagine if the English fans went after the ref in the German game because of Lampard's shot? Imagine what would be written on here. The mind boggles.

We should treat these Louth lads exactly the same way.

I do understand the frustration and the sense of being robbed, but interfering with officials is, and has to remain, an act which gets the heaviest sanctions.

All this talk of the fact that Louth were waiting 53 years, and were robbed, is a non sequitar. What is the acceptable threshold for waiting and/or robbery? We haven't won a Leinster in 13 years, can I attack a ref if we get rode someday, or do I have to wait for 20 years?  25? When does it become acceptable?

Very odd thought processes on display here I have to say.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: skeog on July 12, 2010, 11:28:47 AM
order a replay and no admission fee common sense should prevail

Who do you think should do that?
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

mckieran

QuoteImagine if the English fans went after the ref in the German game because of Lampard's shot? Imagine what would be written on here. The mind boggles.

We should treat these Louth lads exactly the same way.

Not comparing like with like here. Lampards goal was scored with over half the match still to play. This goal was scored in the dying seconds of the game. The context was very different. I am not saying I agree with the Louth fans actions; I dont. They were wrong and I am sure that ref was very shaken afterwards. That should never be the case for any person. However, in the context of this game, I can understand how emotions raged at the end. I have no feeling for Meath or Louth and was excited at the end. So I can imagine how it would have absolutely riled the Louth fans. I doubt any of those fans attended that final intending to have a go at the ref.

AZOffaly

But that's the problem here mackiernan. I agree the circumstances were different, but it's subjective opinion rather than factual. How do we know England wouldn't have gone on to win. I agree, but hard cases make bad laws, so it's hard to say if one decision merits a replay over another, in the laws.

for example, if Meath scored that 'goal' 3 minutes earlier would it have the same outcry? 4 minutes? 6 minutes? 15 minutes?

I agree with what you are saying, but it's hard to legislate effectively for instances like this. You have to have a level of 'gut feel', and that doesn't translate into laws and rules. I think in this case the GAA is depending on Meath to get them out of a rut by offering a replay.

An Gaeilgoir

Some supporters see the pitch invasions as an excuse to do what they want, was in the hill for a recent AI football final and with 15 minutes to go groups of lads were heading for the pitchside, well boozed up and to be honest looking for trouble. Society has changed whether we like it or not and the GAA will have to adopt its policies to reflect this change. Law abiding patrons have a right to safety and security when they attend a game, if people cant control themselves regardless of the result they shouldn't be there and the patrons who can control themselves deserve protection. The same goes for the players, the GPA is always on about players rights yet when it comes to calls for protecting players at the end of games, there silence is deafening.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 12, 2010, 11:51:24 AM
But that's the problem here mackiernan. I agree the circumstances were different, but it's subjective opinion rather than factual. How do we know England wouldn't have gone on to win. I agree, but hard cases make bad laws, so it's hard to say if one decision merits a replay over another, in the laws.

for example, if Meath scored that 'goal' 3 minutes earlier would it have the same outcry? 4 minutes? 6 minutes? 15 minutes?

I agree with what you are saying, but it's hard to legislate effectively for instances like this. You have to have a level of 'gut feel', and that doesn't translate into laws and rules. I think in this case the GAA is depending on Meath to get them out of a rut by offering a replay.

Spot on AZ.

Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.