CONNACHT FINAL ROS v SLIGO 18th July 2010

Started by Rossfan, June 28, 2010, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Pity one team had to lose, what a game of football, edge of the seat stuff and some great scores. Makes the Ulster Final look dreadful which it was.  Great to see the Rossies getting their day in the sun after the last few years.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Denn Forever

Well done Roscommon.

So Tommy Carr managed you when?  Cavan will have to wait how many years after Tommy is gone for a provintial title.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

orangeman

Well done to Roscommon.

Incredible win.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Congrats to the Rossies. Brilliant win.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

ludermor

The pitch in McHale park will be well fertilised now!
Fair play to Roscommon, Shine kicked a couple of unreal points at the end

ludermor

Great interview there by Fergal O'Donnell, comes across very well.

IolarCoisCuain

O'Donnell is a very impressive character. Happy for him, and happy for the Ross support who have never wavered through some very bleak years. It's a great day for the GAA as a whole. Good for Ross.

On another note - is Senan Connell the Ralph Wiggum of football analysis, or am I just being mean?

muppet

Congrats to the Rossies and sincere commiserations to the Sligonians.

Didn't see it yet so can't really comment.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Congrats indeed to Roscommon. Great win. I never really understood the whole Sligo are certs predictions, because why would Roscommon fear Sligo? The GAA is funny that way, and there are numerous examples.

Cosmo Kramer

Congratulations to Ros, it was a great game to be at as a neutral although you wouldn't have begrudged either team a draw after that. Have to say i thought Shine's continuous lying down in the last 10 minutes was a black mark on the Roscommon performance. Other than that he was outstanding of course.

After Costello kicked about his 4th massive point from play I commented out loud that we should recall him from his loan period for next year...that didn't go down to well with the surrounding Sligonians...maybe if he lost a stone or two we'd consider letting him come home! :P

A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

AZOffaly

There was a good bit of lying down and face clutching in fairness, not nice to see. However, still a very enjoyable final to watch, and delighted for Rossies.

mylestheslasher

Sligo bet themselves. Surely they must have known that to beat Ros you just don't give frees away inside your own 45 and yet even at the end when Sligo were well on top they gave stupid frees away. Davey came on and gave 2/3 away, O hara the usual same amount. Sligo will really be kicking themselves but fair play to Ros, they put it up to Sligo from the start and they kept at it till the end which will do the world of good to them young lads.

Mac2

Not often a Mayoman can say he's delighted with a Rossie win but at 7/2 this one is  ;D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Mac2 on July 18, 2010, 06:20:11 PM
Not often a Mayoman can say he's delighted with a Rossie win but at 7/2 this one is  ;D

I am DELIGHTED for Roscommon, whats it like to KNOW YOU HAVE WON?

What a great game off football. Some fielding, tackling, tracking back, spirit and determination and free taking from Roscommon today, what amazing long distance scores from Sligo and fighting back into it.

What about Sean McDermott and the small lad from Sligo, they where like the fox and the hare all day. Costello what a star and Donnie what a superstar. Cregg what a game and Michael Finneran class act. Henegan good too and David Casey maith an fear. Some good play by Ross Donavan and Charlie Harrison. Some nice play from O'Gara too.

Was neutral in the Ireland in WW2 kind of way a bit of my diluted Rossie blood meant I was slightly more vocal for the Primrose and Blue, but it was hard not clap or jump for joy with the scores from both sides.

THANK YOU ROSCOMMON AND SLIGO, YOU MADE CONNACHT VERY PROUD.

Fair fcks to Mayo and Galway too on a very good minor game, the score does not reflect how close it was.

Congrats Sligo and Mayo, hard luck to Sligo and Galway you did yourselves proud.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Barney

Well done to Roscommon. I think nobody in Connacht is suprised that they pulled this one off - which team had more All Ireland medals, yet less pressure going into the game? Especially pleased for those lads that have stuck by their team through some awful awful days the last 10 years - today is payback time!

What people outside Connacht probably won't recognise is that a new power in Connacht football has now been spawned and will be there challenging the next 5/6 years both locally and possibly nationally. O'Donnell has brought a steel and organisation to some very good young lads. Shine is class but if Enda Kenny and Senan Kilbride and Conor Devaney became available there would be more scoring power added up front. Because Roscommon have been doing it at underage consistently their hard work is going to pay-off.

For Sligo it is a big chance missed. They didn't play well. But maybe that is as good as they are. The pedigree of success isn't there and whatever about Roscommon's record in Castlebar the Sligo record is abysmal. Yes they did well against Mayo and Galway but we all know how poor the big guns were last year.