Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Derry Optimist

Some weeks ago Irish News Sports Journalist and former Drum player,Cahair O'Kane, who really knows his football picked his present Derry All Stars team.With the exception of one player the team was selected mostly on the basis  of outstanding performances by players in the latter stages of this year's Senior club championship.

Few, if any any, could argue with the merits of the players selected.His selection was as follows.Daryl McDermott,Shane Murphy.Brendan Rogers,Ryan Dougan,Conor McCluskey,Connor Nevin,Conor Kearns,Gavin O'Neill.Ciaran McFaul,Danny Tallon,Shane Heavron,Christopher Bradley,Niall Moore,Alex Doherty and Emmett McGuckin.

Does any poster know which of the above players were either asked and/or committed themselves to join the current County panel?

Mountain Gael

Quote from: Derry Optimist on December 09, 2019, 02:21:06 PM
Some weeks ago Irish News Sports Journalist and former Drum player,Cahair O'Kane, who really knows his football picked his present Derry All Stars team.With the exception of one player the team was selected mostly on the basis  of outstanding performances by players in the latter stages of this year's Senior club championship.

Few, if any any, could argue with the merits of the players selected.His selection was as follows.Daryl McDermott,Shane Murphy.Brendan Rogers,Ryan Dougan,Conor McCluskey,Connor Nevin,Conor Kearns,Gavin O'Neill.Ciaran McFaul,Danny Tallon,Shane Heavron,Christopher Bradley,Niall Moore,Alex Doherty and Emmett McGuckin.

Does any poster know which of the above players were either asked and/or committed themselves to join the current County panel?
  :) :) :) are you series or is it april fools day. the man hasn't a clue

Mikhailov

Quote from: Derry Optimist on December 09, 2019, 02:21:06 PM

[/quot
"Who really knows his football".........I assume this is tongue in cheek !!

Estimator

I've just seen the team that Cahair decided upon.
He's gone for McKeever at CHB, but then left out a few of the other players from '93 that were still playing at the start of the 00's ie Tohill, Downey, Brolly.
This is the team he selected:
1. B Gillis
2. K McGuckin
3. K McCloy
4. SM Lockhart
5. P McFlynn
6. K McKeever
7. SL McGoldrick
8. F Doherty
9. Patsy Bradley
10. J McBride
11. C Gilligan
12. M Lynch
13. Paddy Bradley
14. E Muldoon
15. E Bradley
Ulster League Champions 2009

theticklemister

Quote from: Estimator on December 16, 2019, 12:29:40 PM
He's gone for McKeever at CHB, but then left out a few of the other players from '93 that were still playing at the start of the 00's ie Tohill, Downey, Brolly.
1. B Gillis
2. K McGuckin
3. K McCloy
4. SM Lockhart
5. P McFlynn
6. K McKeever
7. SL McGoldrick
8. F Doherty
9. Patsy Bradley
10. J McBride
11. C Gilligan
12. M Lynch
13. Paddy Bradley
14. E Muldoon
15. E Bradley

Wouldn't have Kieran mcKeever anywhere near 6. For all my time watching derry, I never saw him play there once. Gilligan at 11 raises other eyebrows. Class club player , who although played County  level for a long time, never excelled. Maybe Kieran's positioning at number 6 shows our lack of other options.

Gaagaagaa20

Quote from: theticklemister on December 16, 2019, 11:54:32 PM
1. B Gillis
2. K McGuckin
3. K McCloy
4. SM Lockhart
5. P McFlynn
6. K McKeever
7. SL McGoldrick
8. F Doherty
9. Patsy Bradley
10. J McBride
11. C Gilligan
12. M Lynch
13. Paddy Bradley
14. E Muldoon
15. E Bradley

Wouldn't have Kieran mcKeever anywhere near 6. For all my time watching derry, I never saw him play there once. Gilligan at 11 raises other eyebrows. Class club player , who although played County  level for a long time, never excelled. Maybe Kieran's positioning at number 6 shows our lack of other options.
Your hole, Gilligan was always a 3/4 points a game man. You are correct about him being a class club player, but there is no doubting he is the top 6 forward in the county in this past 20 years

theticklemister

Quote from: Thastheball on December 17, 2019, 10:00:13 AM
Quote from: Gaagaagaa20 on December 17, 2019, 09:10:31 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on December 16, 2019, 11:54:32 PM
1. B Gillis
2. K McGuckin
3. K McCloy
4. SM Lockhart
5. P McFlynn
6. K McKeever
7. SL McGoldrick
8. F Doherty
9. Patsy Bradley
10. J McBride
11. C Gilligan
12. M Lynch
13. Paddy Bradley
14. E Muldoon
15. E Bradley

Your hole, Gilligan was always a 3/4 points a game man. You are correct about him being a class club player, but there is no doubting he is the top 6 forward in the county in this past 20 years

Always had a keen interest in Derry football since spending a summer with a few Derry lads in the states back in the day. V surprised Niall Mc Cusker isn't on that team. Shocked Tohill isn't either. If Mc Keever makes it due to his All Star in 2000, then so does Tohill, period. Patsy Bradley at mf sums up your problems.  Gilligan in your top six also sums up your problems. Great club player, in fact class, but a top forward at county over 20 yrs, no way.

I have a great hole.

I shit regularly, never had piles and she swipes clean after a good hard follow through.

Keyser soze

That is wile harsh on Patsy Bradley, only for a succession of injuries that kept interrupting his career, himself and Doc were as good a midfield as were about in the noughties IMO.

Wildweasel74

Tohill be on,  on his last the 3/4yrs playing, have Enda Muldoon wing forward with P Bradley full forward, C McNally no. 6 even though he only played a few yrs. Not sure how Cahair remembers lads playing bck round 20yrs ago, he's hardly old enough to judge.

Derry Optimist

As the McKenna Cup opens in ten days time our thoughts will automatically turn to Rory Gallagher's first Derry team selection.Presumably the Slaughtneil hurlers on the Derry football panel will not be selected,likewise the Coleraine Junior hurlers who are also on the football panel.That means our defence alone will be short of four top class players who would be challenging strongly for first choice positions. I refer to the McKaigue brothers,Brendan Rogers and Liam McGoldrick.That should give Rory the option of trying out some of the younger players.By the same criteria come-back midfielder Niall Holly  and ace forward Shane McGuigan would also be unavailable.As a consequence I would expect the starting 15 to be along the following lines.
   T Mallon
   N Keenan
   C McCluskey
   R Dougan
   S Downey
   P McGrogan
   P Hagan
   C McAtamney
   Gavin O'Neill
   E Bradley
   C McFaul
   P Cassidy
   B McCarron
   N Loughlin
   C Bradley.
Subs: O Lynch
         E Concannon
         Sean F Quinn
         C Kearns
         C Doherty
         P Kearney
         O McWilliams
         B Heron
         P Coney
         R Bell
         J Doherty

seanyb1

Quote from: Derry Optimist on December 19, 2019, 11:04:06 PM
As the McKenna Cup opens in ten days time our thoughts will automatically turn to Rory Gallagher's first Derry team selection.Presumably the Slaughtneil hurlers on the Derry football panel will not be selected,likewise the Coleraine Junior hurlers who are also on the football panel.That means our defence alone will be short of four top class players who would be challenging strongly for first choice positions. I refer to the McKaigue brothers,Brendan Rogers and Liam McGoldrick.That should give Rory the option of trying out some of the younger players.By the same criteria come-back midfielder Niall Holly  and ace forward Shane McGuigan would also be unavailable.As a consequence I would expect the starting 15 to be along the following lines.
   T Mallon
   N Keenan
   C McCluskey
   R Dougan
   S Downey
   P McGrogan
   P Hagan
   C McAtamney
   Gavin O'Neill
   E Bradley
   C McFaul
   P Cassidy
   B McCarron
   N Loughlin
   C Bradley.
         E Concannon
         Sean F Quinn
         C Kearns
         C Doherty
         P Kearney
         O McWilliams
         B Heron
        P Coney
         R Bell
         J Doherty

Both not even on the panel. Kearns was never asked afaik

Red10

Quote from: seanyb1 on December 20, 2019, 08:44:29 AM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on December 19, 2019, 11:04:06 PM
   T Mallon
   N Keenan
   C McCluskey
   R Dougan
   S Downey
   P McGrogan
   P Hagan
   C McAtamney
   Gavin O'Neill
   E Bradley
   C McFaul
   P Cassidy
   B McCarron
   N Loughlin
   C Bradley.
         E Concannon
         Sean F Quinn
         C Kearns
         C Doherty
         P Kearney
         O McWilliams
         B Heron
        P Coney
         R Bell
         J Doherty

Both not even on the panel. Kearns was never asked afaik

Two others not on the panel. Also not asked afaik.

Derry Optimist

Were you Wildweasel or any other Derry supporter at Inniskeen for the Derry v Monaghan McKenna Cup game?I know Derry were missing about nine of their starting fifteen but I would be interested in their overall performance.Any of the new players impress?

JoG2

Entertaining enough game. Seriously slow start but the players played their way back into the game. Tailed off the last 15 / 20 mins allowing Monaghan and their strong bench to pull away
McGrogan @ 3 had a solid game. Cassidy and Downey assured. Bell was on fire until the supply dried up. Mcfaul would have been the pick of the players. Was taken out on numerous occasions. A serious footballer
Beggan is some keeper, kickouts and frees were top drawer