China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olly

I've an awful itch at the bottom of my back and above my legs. Does anyone know if this is a sympton ?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Smurfy123

Olly symptoms change every week so god knows what sage will come out with
The latest and unbelievable not getting much headlines
A SAGE scientist who joined the team late said on question time that the scientist and UK government reacted 2 weeks to slow causing many thousand deaths and he doesn't know why they didn't act quicker. This is from a man who now sits on the SAGE committee but didn't at the start.
SAGE now tellin the shit show government in England June 1 to early to open and July 14 reasonable date.
Complete shitshow across the water
48% of deaths in Northern Ireland in hospitals
52% in care homes and hospices

johnnycool

Quote from: Olly on May 22, 2020, 09:42:18 AM
I've an awful itch at the bottom of my back and above my legs. Does anyone know if this is a sympton ?

Give it a scratch then stick said finger in your mouth.

If you can't smell or taste anything then your in bother as that's now a symptom.

Let us know how you get on.

Square Ball

Do people think this is possible by September?
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-astrazeneca-could-begin-supply-of-potential-covid-19-vaccine-in-september-11991968

Coronavirus: AstraZeneca could begin supply of potential COVID-19 vaccine in September
The drugs giant says it is ramping up capacity to "ensure the delivery of a globally accessible vaccines

AstraZeneca has said it has the capacity to manufacture one billion doses of the University of Oxford's potential COVID-19 vaccine and plans to begin supplying it in September.

The drugs giant also said it has already taken orders for at least 400 million doses of the coronavirus jab it is developing with the university.

It intends to negotiate further deals on capacity to "ensure the delivery of a globally accessible vaccine".

High hopes for the Oxford vaccine
Results from an early stage clinical trial in southern England are expected shortly, it said.
If those are successful, other trials will follow in a number of countries.

It was announced earlier this week that plans are in place to roll out a COVID-19 vaccine to 30 million people in the UK by September if trials are successful.

Pascal Soriot, chief executive of AstraZeneca, said: "We need to defeat the virus together or it will continue to inflict huge personal suffering and leave long-lasting economic and social scars in every country around the worl

"We are so proud to be collaborating with Oxford University to turn their ground-breaking work into a medicine that can be produced on a global scale.

"We would like to thank the US and UK governments for their substantial support to accelerate the development and production of the vaccine.

"We will do everything in our power to make this vaccine quickly and widely available."

The multinational pharmaceutical company added that it had received more than $1bn (£820m) from the US Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority for the development, production and delivery of a vaccine, starting in the autumn.

"The development programme includes a Phase III clinical trial with 30,000 participants and a paediatric trial," it said.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Denn Forever

FDA approval.  What's that?  I suppose there is no FDA?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

armaghniac

Quote from: Square Ball on May 22, 2020, 10:32:12 AM
Do people think this is possible by September?
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-astrazeneca-could-begin-supply-of-potential-covid-19-vaccine-in-september-11991968

Coronavirus: AstraZeneca could begin supply of potential COVID-19 vaccine in September
The drugs giant says it is ramping up capacity to "ensure the delivery of a globally accessible vaccines

The academics may sign off on in September, although research generally takes longer than expected, but mass production will take time. Perhaps somebody somehwere will get vaccinated in 2020, medical staff probably first.

However, there are several vaccine projects in different countries, one may get there by Christmas. These work differently, so you could have a vaccine that would work better with old people or one that was cheaper to produce.

Also some treatments are moving through the trials, one in China was developed based on SARS and it seems able to treat all related corona viruses.

This is why the lockdowns were worth it, perhaps they only kick the can down the road but in 6 months we will have tests to identify the virus quickly, treatments to reduce its effects for most people and we'll be well on the road to a  vaccine.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

i wouldn't be too confident on taking a vaccine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Square Ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2020, 11:00:34 AM

My missus said that as well, she doesn't feel confident taking it.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

RadioGAAGAA

If your not in a high priority group - I wouldn't worry - I don't think anyone else will be seeing the vaccines for quite some time.

But yeah, point taken. Rushing it this quick involves compromises.
i usse an speelchekor

armaghniac

Indeed, why would whole teams of scientists doing trials on thousands of people in multiple countries give you any confidence?
Karen from Facebook says that it might be dodgy.

thewobbler

Dropping in a "Karen from Facebook said so / didn't say so" has unseated adding "FACT" to the end of statements, for people who think than they're smarter than they are.

FACT.

five points

Quote from: johnnycool on May 22, 2020, 10:08:20 AM
Quote from: Olly on May 22, 2020, 09:42:18 AM

Give it a scratch then stick said finger in your mouth.

If you can't smell or taste anything then your in bother as that's now a symptom.

Let us know how you get on.

;D ;D ;D

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: armaghniac on May 22, 2020, 11:14:04 AM

Indeed, why would whole teams of scientists doing trials on thousands of people in multiple countries give you any confidence?

He's made a fair point though.

Any vaccine normally takes years to wind through the system - that's an awful lot more time to analyse results, conduct more phase trials and perhaps more critically a longer time to allow potential side effects to develop. For instance, if in theory one of these vaccines did cause a side effect that became clear 12 months later, not at all likely but possible, its impossible to catch it before mid 2021.

Of course, the risk of a vaccine has to be weighed against the risk of contracting then developing serious COVID complications. Obviously, the risk of a vaccine will be significantly lower than the risk of the virus - otherwise it'll never make it through trials*.

*case mortality rate of 1% and estimate that eventually 50% of population gets it - that means everyone has a 0.5% chance of dying of this (averaged across all age groups so not really true). So if they test the vaccine on 1000 people and only one develops a serious complication, then your balancing 0.5% (virus) vs 0.1% (vaccine).
i usse an speelchekor

trailer

Everyone seems to miss the point that the risk to people under 70 is minimal. If a Vaccine is made available those high risk groups will get it first and for them it makes no sense not to get it. The risk of catching Covid-19 would more than likely be fatal.

armaghniac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 22, 2020, 11:50:56 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 22, 2020, 11:14:04 AM

He's made a fair point though.

Any vaccine normally takes years to wind through the system - that's an awful lot more time to analyse results, conduct more phase trials and perhaps more critically a longer time to allow potential side effects to develop. For instance, if in theory one of these vaccines did cause a side effect that became clear 12 months later, not at all likely but possible, its impossible to catch it before mid 2021.

It is a fair point for the population, but not necessarily for him. There will be groups with complications where the vaccine will not have been trialled on a sufficient number of people to make the statement that it is safe, while Milltown is unique on Gaaboard, he may or may not have a complicating factor n this context.
However, if all people without complications get the vaccine, including young people not very much at risk of Covid19, then the virus cannot circulate. If people refuse the vaccine then they might not die from the Covid19, but someone they infect might.
Like the lockdown, some element of community spirit rather than mé féinism is needed, together with some careful analysis of who the vaccine has been tested on and who it hasn't.