The 'I was there' thread

Started by Doogie Browser, July 01, 2010, 09:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

I have seen a few of these recently and it got me thinking.
There are people who have claimed to be at a particular sporting event, music concert or historic occasion that has down the years gained cult status and as a result the attendance at said event has escalated to ridiculous proportions.
For example the Oasis gig at the Limelight on the night Def Maybe hit number one in 1994, or the 200,000 who claim to have been in Thomond Park the day the All Blacks were slayed in 1978.
Any others or more importantly has anyone here been at such an occasion?

ziggysego

I was there when Belfast International Airport got flooded in 2007 (I believe the year was) and was the last flight allowed out before the runway became a river.
Testing Accessibility

Doogie Browser

Good man Ziggy not exactly what I was thinking but good to see you embrace the spirit of the thread.

ziggysego

Oh, just music?

I was there for Gareth Brooks last concert in Ireland. I was there for The Corrs play a tribute concert in Omagh, after the 1998 bombing. I was there for Meat Loaf's first concert in Ireland, after his heart attack in England just two week previous.

:)
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Nohing anything particularly earth shattering, but I was there on Monday Night Football when the 49ers visited the Cardinals in Arizona. It was the night that Steve Young threw his last touchdown pass to Jerry Rice because Aneas Williams hammered him later in the game and he retired after it, it was about his 300th concussion or something.

So, I was there when Steve Young threw his last TD pass, and his last TD pass to Jerry Rice.

Canalman

Was at the last baseball game played in "old" Comiskey Park in Chicago.

ballinaman

I saw Karel Poborsky score for United. :D

deiseach

Quote from: ballinaman on July 01, 2010, 10:40:38 AM

I saw Diego Forlan score for Man Utd. Twice. You know what I'm talking about :-[

Billys Boots

Ah here, I was at:

Springsteen in Slane '85
Pixies at TT the Bears, Boston '86
REM in the TV Club '85
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

longrunsthefox

Giants Stadium 18th June 1994.

Declan

U2 in McGonagles 1980
Ireland v All Blacks 10 all Landsdowne road 1973 and the famous English game as well
Ginger McLoughlin's try Twickenham 1981
Barry McGuigan v Hungary National Stadium around 1979/1980 I think when the great Lazlo Papp raised his arm
Don Givens 4 goals v Turkey Dalymount 1976 I think?
Brazil v All Ireland team early seventies Landsdowne Road
Stuttgart June 1988

Shamrock Shore

The Joshua Trio in the Baggot Inn when Paul Wonderful came in on a donkey
Albert Rillins party in Mullingar after he was first chosen as a FF candidate in 1977
1982 AIF Offaly v Kerry

quit yo jibbajabba

When they crucifed my Lord.......

ballinaman

Quote from: deiseach on July 01, 2010, 10:43:28 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 01, 2010, 10:40:38 AM

I saw Diego Forlan score for Man Utd. Twice. You know what I'm talking about :-[
:D I was there for when he scored in the 3-1 defeat to Fulham at Old Trafford...forgot about that one

lurganblue

I saw emile heskey score once