The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Right - seriously worried that this thing could go tits up! Since last posted, won away in the league at Bournemouth and had a streaky enough win at home to Swindon. Lost in the Johnstone Paints trophy to Bury ( :-\) and played two shockers against Hereford before going out of the FA Cup. As Wise said, could be a blessing in disguise. Today though was seriously worrying as Leeds dominated and then got caught with a late sucker punch. That should have been a three point game. Two home fixtures coming up, and I would like to think six points might be acquired!

shotstopper1

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 25, 2007, 11:52:16 PM
Right - seriously worried that this thing could go tits up! Since last posted, won away in the league at Bournemouth and had a streaky enough win at home to Swindon. Lost in the Johnstone Paints trophy to Bury ( :-\) and played two shockers against Hereford before going out of the FA Cup. As Wise said, could be a blessing in disguise. Today though was seriously worrying as Leeds dominated and then got caught with a late sucker punch. That should have been a three point game. Two home fixtures coming up, and I would like to think six points might be acquired!

Is it any coincidence that things have started to turn for the worse since the departure of Poyet and the arrival of Bassett?
2 wins in the last 7 games isn't what you might call good form.Hopefully they with the next two games at home they can begin to put a run together over the Christmas which will keep them in touch with the leaders.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: hardstation on December 08, 2007, 03:16:46 PM
Rufus will be a happy man today.
Leeds hammered Huddersfield 4-0.

Indeed I am hardstation - excellent win, although by reports, maybe flattered Leeds somewhat. The attendance of 32,501 is the biggest at this level since 1979 - worthy of mention when you consider that Manchester City, Newcastle and Chelsea have been at this level since then.

Just to go into anorak mode, back in 1979, the two Sheffields were in the third division and the two attendances were 49,000 (Hillsborough) and 46,000 (Bramall Lane).   

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: hardstation on December 29, 2007, 05:04:42 PM
Not so happy today, Rufus. Bate 3-2.

Aye - listened to it on the internet and to be honest they did not appear to deserve anything from the game. The good thing about it is that the other leading contenders dropped points, and it is another very tough game out of the way. One of Swansea's games in hand is away to Carlisle, so there will be more points dropped there!

Still worried though about the team long term, as the team does not appear to be playing well and are still sneaking wins and draws on occasion.

Rufus T Firefly

Not a good Christmas at all, or indeed December either. NewYear has started well with back to back wins for the first time since November. The 3-0 hammering of Northampton (in yer face Cobblers  8)) was followed with a good win tonight at Crewe. Actually thought Leeds played well, trying to play the ball to feet, and I like the look of the new lad Kilkenny. Wise said tonight that he is still hoping to get anoher couple of faces in before the end of January. Another big game on Saturday against Doncaster who are going well. Win that and hopefully this sticky patch will be put to bed. Important though to keep Beckford at the Club as Paul Jewell is showing big interest.

Onwards and upwards!!!!   :)

stew

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 14, 2008, 11:48:45 PM
Not a good Christmas at all, or indeed December either. NewYear has started well with back to back wins for the first time since November. The 3-0 hammering of Northampton (in yer face Cobblers  8)) was followed with a good win tonight at Crewe. Actually thought Leeds played well, trying to play the ball to feet, and I like the look of the new lad Kilkenny. Wise said tonight that he is still hoping to get anoher couple of faces in before the end of January. Another big game on Saturday against Doncaster who are going well. Win that and hopefully this sticky patch will be put to bed. Important though to keep Beckford at the Club as Paul Jewell is showing big interest.

Onwards and upwards!!!!   :)

The rough patch appears to be over and the team seems to be on the right track again. The focus now has to be at least four points out of every two games, win the home games and get at least a draw away and they will be fine although they probably need to average 5 points out of six the rest of the way to get promoted automatically.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Billys Boots

QuoteImportant though to keep Beckford at the Club as Paul Jewell is showing big interest.

Cracking goal he got, great jump for a small fellah.  I don't know if he has what's required for the Premiership though - good feet, but looks easy enough to dispossess.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

shotstopper1

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 15, 2008, 10:19:15 AM
QuoteImportant though to keep Beckford at the Club as Paul Jewell is showing big interest.

Cracking goal he got, great jump for a small fellah.  I don't know if he has what's required for the Premiership though - good feet, but looks easy enough to dispossess.

I'd think at this stage Jewell is probably thinking of the championship, as are Leeds,so don't really think it would benefit Beckford to leave a team who are competing for automatic promotion to the championship, to go to a team that is struggling and most likely to be relegated to the championship.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 15, 2008, 10:19:15 AM

Agreed totally Billy. Beckford is good where he is now, but Premiership standard he is not. Worth stating that any references to Leeds performances should be seen in the same light. Good and all as they played last night, the chasm between there and the bottom of the Premiership would be sizeable.

Still, currently horses for courses, just like it was way back in season 1989/90. But I'm hopeful with the new players in, that promotion is definitely on, which is one step on the long road back!

Billys Boots

Shotstopper's link was to this.  I, personally, am not sorry to see the back of Wise - hopefully he's replaced with an intelligent person with the game at heart.  And him and Keegan - well met indeed.   ::)

Wise quits Leeds for Magpies role 

Leeds United have agreed to let manager Dennis Wise join Newcastle as the Magpies' new director of football, BBC Sport understands.
The 41-year-old will join the club on Tuesday and will work under new Magpies manager Kevin Keegan.

A club statement said: "We have agreed a compensation package with Newcastle for the services of Dennis Wise.

"He will part with the club on Tuesday after completing preparations for the game at Southend on Tuesday."

Former Tottenham director of football David Pleat was surprised that Wise was offered the role at such a young age.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Wise has never been director of football before although he has been relatively sucessful coach at Millwall and was doing good work at Leeds.

"I would imagine it would be a completely new challenge for him and I have to say, it is usually a challenge that is given to a more experienced man."

Newcastle approached Leeds on Friday after former Newcastle striker Alan Shearer opted not to return to St James' Park as Keegan's number two.

Wise played for England under Keegan and has enhanced his standing at Leeds.

On the appointment of Keegan two weeks ago Wise said: "I worked with him at England and he did a very good job there. All the punters are pleased that he's gone back to Newcastle.

"He's a good man and all the people that have worked with him have enjoyed working with him. He's got a real good aura around him and it's nice to see him back."

The former Chelsea captain has guided Leeds into play-off contention in League One despite them starting the season on minus 15 points.

That penalty followed their going into administration last season and being relegated, and money remains tight at Elland Road.

Keegan himself would not be drawn on the subject of Wise at a Newcastle media briefing on Monday.

"Obviously, there are going to be some moves at this club, but I think the chairman Chris Mort has really got to come out and say what that's all about later this week."

It is the second time this season that Leeds chairman Ken Bates has lost a member of his managerial team to a Premier League club following assistant manager Gus Poyet's move to Tottenham earlier in the season.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Mentalman

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 28, 2008, 06:00:40 PM
Leeds United have agreed to let manager Dennis Wise join Newcastle as the Magpies' new director of football, BBC Sport understands.
The 41-year-old will join the club on Tuesday and will work under new Magpies manager Kevin Keegan.

Some very confused thinking there...
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Mentalman

Quote from: hardstation on January 28, 2008, 06:13:59 PM
Is he Wise?

Eyes bigger than his belly...would imagine he wil go the way of Moe Greene, methaphorcally anyway.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

FermPundit

Get your money on Gary McAllister being the new manager with Garry Speed on the coaching staff. Two members of the Leeds league champions team of 1992 reunited.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 28, 2008, 06:00:40 PM
Shotstopper's link was to this.  I, personally, am not sorry to see the back of Wise - hopefully he's replaced with an intelligent person with the game at heart.  And him and Keegan - well met indeed.   ::)

Good call Bill - I had been prepared to give Dennis the benefit of considerable doubt, but where now for all his talk of commitment and loyalty?

There's a lad on waccoe.com who seems to have the inside track on what's going on, and he had been predicting this one. The reasoning behind it though probably leaves more questions than answers, with some surmising that Uncle Ken will sell up to Freddy Shepherd, and that a manager that the fans will be pleased with, will  be inserted!

Either way, something would need to happen quickly or there could be serious repercussions for the form on the pitch.

It's nothing if not interesting!   ::)