AZ Offaly
That Westmeath lad that hates Syferus
Shamrock Shore
The Dinnytron 5000
Ciarrai_thuaidh
Tippabu
Seafoid

Syferus

The idea for an U20 (and by extension, an U19) championship was rightly shot to pieces last time it came up. There is no appetite for it.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Chimley on January 07, 2015, 04:19:48 PM
The reality is that eventually, either the Sigerson or U21 championship will probably go. My money is on the U21 (due to the power of the colleges) and perhaps a move of the minor grade to U19 at the same time to stop the ridiculous scenario where a young player is playing championship for his county days after finishing the leaving cert.

This will be good for some of the elite young talents and definitely good for the larger counties like Dublin and Cork who will still have a sizable number of players exposed to top class training and competition. Where would that leave the have-nots who will be deprived of a proven avenue of development from U21 to senior?

I hear this a lot but I cant understand it. The U21 competition is the only 100% knock out tournament. I've been following for a long time and really enjoy them, in many ways more than senior. I'm not the only one, big crowds turn out on Wednesdays to watch them. The Sigerson on the other hand, well no one could be arsed to go to those games and I know I certainly never bothered. Sigerson is nice to win for the players, a bit like the railway cup. If one were to go it would be the Sigerson for me - it wouldnt be missed.

macdanger2

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 07, 2015, 07:40:23 PM
The reality is that eventually, either the Sigerson or U21 championship will probably go. My money is on the U21 (due to the power of the colleges) and perhaps a move of the minor grade to U19 at the same time to stop the ridiculous scenario where a young player is playing championship for his county days after finishing the leaving cert.

This will be good for some of the elite young talents and definitely good for the larger counties like Dublin and Cork who will still have a sizable number of players exposed to top class training and competition. Where would that leave the have-nots who will be deprived of a proven avenue of development from U21 to senior?

I hear this a lot but I cant understand it. The U21 competition is the only 100% knock out tournament. I've been following for a long time and really enjoy them, in many ways more than senior. I'm not the only one, big crowds turn out on Wednesdays to watch them. The Sigerson on the other hand, well no one could be arsed to go to those games and I know I certainly never bothered. Sigerson is nice to win for the players, a bit like the railway cup. If one were to go it would be the Sigerson for me - it wouldnt be missed.

I agree with that, I actually think U21 helps keep a lot of "fringe" players in the game, especially at club level. I wouldn'tmind sseeing it reduced to U20 though

INDIANA

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 07, 2015, 09:22:01 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 07, 2015, 07:40:23 PM

I agree with that, I actually think U21 helps keep a lot of "fringe" players in the game, especially at club level. I wouldn'tmind sseeing it reduced to U20 though

One game keeps players together? Doubt that

macdanger2

One game? Keeps players together?  :o

What are you babbling about??

INDIANA

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 07, 2015, 09:58:06 PM

You lose the first round you;'re out.

macdanger2

Quote from: INDIANA on January 07, 2015, 10:06:49 PM

You do realise that U21s exists at club level also?? If you abolish it at county level, it follows that you do likewise at club level.

INDIANA

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 07, 2015, 10:10:12 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 07, 2015, 10:06:49 PM

Currently in Dublin with the adult championships always running late it's never finished in the calendar year and training consists of meeting up the week of the game for a training session or two. I find it hard to believe that two training sessions and one match for 50% of the teams involved who all get beaten in the first round keeps lads together as you say. But you're entitled to your view on that.

You do realise that U21s exists at club level also?? If you abolish it at county level, it follows that you do likewise at club level.

Blowitupref

Was talk from Paraic Duffy about scrapping the U21 championship back in 2007 however it never materialized and since then the U21 championship has become arguably even more popular.

Noel Connelly quote from 2007 who was the Mayo U21 joint All Ireland winning manager at the time

Abolishing the U21 grade could see a huge fall off in playing numbers and remove a crucial bridge to the senior grade.
If you scrap the U-21 grade then you will have no grade from Minor to Senior and you have a lot of lads who will go out of county football for up to six years. A lot of players nowadays aren't coming onto the senior scene until around 23 or 24. You are taking away another grade for lads to be able to play county football.
It will be a huge loss and I think you will lose a lot of players because very few players are able to make it from Minor straight to the senior grade.
There's not too many players able to make that step up so you need something to hold onto them, that they won't fall away.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

manfromdelmonte

Even premier league teams have U21 squads and an U21 league.
Preventing these players playing senior and U21 at county level would help a lot with burnout.

Syferus

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 07, 2015, 11:59:06 PM
Even premier league teams have U21 squads and an U21 league.
Preventing these players playing senior and U21 at county level would help a lot with burnout.

How many games a year do Premier League teams play? I really don't see much of a commonality there.

Scheduling is causing burnout, not the number of games in the season. People here are trying to solve one problem by introducing another.

ross4life

One game played tonight, the result Kildare 0-13 Longford 0-7
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

tippabu

Think Galway v Tipp is called off tonight, pitch unplayable, talk that it may be played Tuesday

ballinaman

Mayo 2-5 Monaghan 0-1 approaching half time.

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on January 10, 2015, 02:30:48 PM
Mayo 2-5 Monaghan 0-1 approaching half time.

Jebus take off all the backs fast, before the hype machine erupts!
MWWSI 2017