AZ Offaly
That Westmeath lad that hates Syferus
Shamrock Shore
The Dinnytron 5000
Ciarrai_thuaidh
Tippabu
Seafoid

Rossfan

Another in a long list of GAAites telling us what's wrong....but not a single suggestion or proposal to rectify things.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

maigheo

Good article and Eugene McGee do not go together .

Captain Obvious

Quote from: INDIANA on January 05, 2015, 10:56:08 PM
Good piece by Eugene Mc Gee today.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/what-wont-happen-this-year-30881979.html
Every Armagh man,woman and child will be relieved that Armagh are not part of Eugene McGee counties list that will not win the Sam Maguire Cup in 2015.

manfromdelmonte

INDIANA

Quote from: Rossfan on January 05, 2015, 11:23:31 PM
Another in a long list of GAAites telling us what's wrong....but not a single suggestion or proposal to rectify things.

It's not rocket science to know guys shouldn't be playing 4 games in a week

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: INDIANA on January 05, 2015, 11:49:45 PM

Dublin senior club football?

tippabu

Last year our county board were a disgrace, some of our players played 7 games in 10 days for club and county, will anything change this year not a hope

Syferus

DIT decided to start a player, Cathal Compton, the day after he played the full match v. Kerry. Cathal has had numerous severe injuries in his short career and was unable to play any U21 championship football last year, he'd been the MotM in a losing performance in the Connacht minor final the previous year, in otherwords he quite a talented young lad. His parents had pleded with the minor manager not to use him a few years back when he had knee trouble to no avail too. If he was just an average footballer there would be far less pressure on him to play so many matches in such a dangerously short peroid of time.

Despite your almost comical attacks on the Hastings Cup the treatment of player is pretty shocking. Managers who care more about their pound of flesh than a lad who's dedicated enough and good enough to be lining out for multiple teams.

Owenmoresider

macdanger2

moysider

Ok, I think everybody would agree that playing 4 games in 8 days is not a good idea. But how many players actually do this? We should be able to come up with stats from match reports? I know Steven Conroy played Hastings Cup for Mayo on Sat. and a half for NUIG on Sunday. Undoubtedly others togged on Sunday as well for other colleges.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 06, 2015, 04:25:22 PM

Ok, I think everybody would agree that playing 4 games in 8 days is not a good idea. But how many players actually do this? We should be able to come up with stats from match reports? I know Steven Conroy played Hastings Cup for Mayo on Sat. and a half for NUIG on Sunday. Undoubtedly others togged on Sunday as well for other colleges.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/murtaghs-punishing-schedule-the-perfect-recipe-for-burnout-30084187.html

We're particularly terrible at making our best young lads quadruple job but that's about what a good young lad starting for college/U21 county and on a senior county panel faces into for the first two months of the year - Murtagh racked up 45 days out of 59 with matches/training last year. Madness.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2015, 06:37:54 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 06, 2015, 04:25:22 PM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/murtaghs-punishing-schedule-the-perfect-recipe-for-burnout-30084187.html

We're particularly terrible at making our best young lads quadruple job but that's about what a good young lad starting for college/U21 county and on a senior county panel faces into for the first two months of the year - Murtagh racked up 45 days out of 59 with matches/training last year. Madness.

That is indeed madness.
How many Roscommon lads played Hastings and FBD at the weekend Sy? Should be handy enough to work it out?
You can understand why every manager would want Murtagh to play for his team. Managers give up their time too and want to be successful. I know a poor team takes up as much time as a good team.
Maybe players should play one competition or another i.e. Hastings or FBD/equivalent. Of course the manager that loses the services of a serious player will be peeved that he s preparing a team without the services of key players.

manfromdelmonte

a sensible senior manager would say, "he's doing enough" and not flog him.
same with U21 management.

its the recovery time between training and games that actually improves your fitness and performance