Shamrock Shore
The Dinnytron 5000
Ciarrai_thuaidh
Tippabu
Seafoid

Westside

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Syferus on December 24, 2014, 01:03:37 PM
And Roscommon will still beat Cavan when it matters too. Merry Christmas, Itchy!

At least there's no Dublin there,so you won't have to worry about  embarrassing yourselves again.
I think Paul Mannion just put over another score while i was typing this.

INDIANA

A mickey mouse competition that should have been scrapped a long time ago that only contributes towards player burnout

Westside

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2014, 06:03:41 PM
A mickey mouse competition that should have been scrapped a long time ago that only contributes towards player burnout

The actual U21 Championship must be seen as fairly Mickey Mouse by Dublin supporters going by the support brought to their games.

Great little competition and the likes of Kerry and Galway entering shows how well respected it is nationally, it's a decent barometer for the Championship itself.

mylestheslasher

Indiana, can't agree with you on this. The U21 championship is on in a few months, all the teams are training for it right now. This tournament does not increase the level of training/commitment in preparation for the provincial championships so how exactly could be said it is contributing to player burnout. That's just a sound bite without any actual evidence to back it up.

As for being a Mickey Mouse tournament, sure it is. Its a warm up to what is to come and no one (except Syferus) will be running around with excitement if they win this tournament and flop in the u21 championship. However, it is a valuable tournament and you get to play against good teams all who are getting up to fitness levels. I think any U21 team not playing in such a tournament is doing themselves a disservice in terms of preparation. When you see Kerry & Mayo joining in the last two years you can see that serious teams think this is worth playing in and it has also been a good barometer of form over the past years with Longford, Cavan and Roscommon going well in the tournament and went on to do well in their provinces.

ross4life

IMO this competition is one of the best run/organised the GAA have, credit to the longford GAA for that and it's going from strength to strength each year. I like the current format something the NFL could copy to freshen up. Burnout issues are forever debatable it might help if club competitions were finished in the calender year and I can't speak for O Byrne cup,McKenna cup but the FBD contributes very little to the GAA season.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

larryin89

Quote from: ross4life on December 24, 2014, 06:57:35 PM
IMO this competition is one of the best run/organised the GAA have, credit to the longford GAA for that and it's going from strength to strength each year. I like the current format something the NFL could copy to freshen up. Burnout issues are forever debatable it might help if club competitions were finished in the calender year and I can't speak for O Byrne cup,McKenna cup but the FBD contributes very little to the GAA season.

I agree and would go further that the FBD is actually pointless.  Scrap it would be my suggestion.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

INDIANA

Quote from: Westside on December 24, 2014, 06:36:22 PM

The actual U21 Championship must be seen as fairly Mickey Mouse by Dublin supporters going by the support brought to their games.

Great little competition and the likes of Kerry and Galway entering shows how well respected it is nationally, it's a decent barometer for the Championship itself.

Far better to be winning u21 all irelands as often as we are then worrying about how many fans are there

INDIANA

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 24, 2014, 06:43:39 PM

Indiana, can't agree with you on this. The U21 championship is on in a few months, all the teams are training for it right now. This tournament does not increase the level of training/commitment in preparation for the provincial championships so how exactly could be said it is contributing to player burnout. That's just a sound bite without any actual evidence to back it up.

As for being a Mickey Mouse tournament, sure it is. Its a warm up to what is to come and no one (except Syferus) will be running around with excitement if they win this tournament and flop in the u21 championship. However, it is a valuable tournament and you get to play against good teams all who are getting up to fitness levels. I think any U21 team not playing in such a tournament is doing themselves a disservice in terms of preparation. When you see Kerry & Mayo joining in the last two years you can see that serious teams think this is worth playing in and it has also been a good barometer of form over the past years with Longford, Cavan and Roscommon going well in the tournament and went on to do well in their provinces.

Its nothing more then a challenge game circuit when lads are training at senor inter level and at Sigerson level at the same time. A complete waste of time and as I said just puts more pressure on already under pressure players.  We don't bother playing in it for that reason.

u21 players are the most abused players in the GAA-. Its no wonder so many are never heard of again after u21 level

larryin89

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2014, 07:16:39 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 24, 2014, 06:43:39 PM

Its nothing more then a challenge game circuit when lads are training at senor inter level and at Sigerson level at the same time. A complete waste of time and as I said just puts more pressure on already under pressure players.  We don't bother playing in it for that reason.

u21 players are the most abused players in the GAA-. Its no wonder so many are never heard of again after u21 level

That could be proved incorrect with most of the top sides the last 30 years.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Westside

Quote from: INDIANA on December 24, 2014, 07:14:04 PM

Far better to be winning u21 all irelands as often as we are then worrying about how many fans are there

Yes because that's what every player dreams of. Lifting an Ireland with dozens of his countymen cheering him on and sharing in the joy....

Cavan U21s don't train with the Seniors and only play Senior football once the U21 season has ended. So there's no added pressure. I assume you've never been to a game, I've seen Cavan duke it out with the Rossies and Longford in a few games and nobody would dare call it a challenge game. The county where Sam currently resides have joined the list of teams entering.. But sure what would they know I suppose.

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on December 24, 2014, 07:12:02 PM
Quote from: ross4life on December 24, 2014, 06:57:35 PM

I agree and would go further that the FBD is actually pointless.  Scrap it would be my suggestion.

I was looking for you outside 8pm mass in Kilmovee, Larryin. What did you make of Fr. Vincent's bongo playing altogether?

INDIANA

Quote from: Westside on December 25, 2014, 12:50:41 AM

Yes because that's what every player dreams of. Lifting an Ireland with dozens of his countymen cheering him on and sharing in the joy....

Cavan U21s don't train with the Seniors and only play Senior football once the U21 season has ended. So there's no added pressure. I assume you've never been to a game, I've seen Cavan duke it out with the Rossies and Longford in a few games and nobody would dare call it a challenge game. The county where Sam currently resides have joined the list of teams entering.. But sure what would they know I suppose.

The county that knows how to win u21 championships doesn't play in it  ;).

But by all means pray continue playing in it.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: INDIANA on December 25, 2014, 02:04:29 AM
Quote from: Westside on December 25, 2014, 12:50:41 AM

The county that knows how to win u21 championships doesn't play in it  ;).

But by all means pray continue playing in it.
Dublin have been good the last few years, so now they're on what... 4 titles? Level with Mayo and Tyrone. Only 7 behind Cork.

Itchy

They've been good as multiples of millions has been injected into them by the GAA while everyone else does what they can with their own resources. Its not a level playing field and even with that they needed the ref to win last years semi, a ref who hasn't been seen since.