AZ Offaly
That Westmeath lad that hates Syferus
Shamrock Shore
The Dinnytron 5000
Ciarrai_thuaidh
Tippabu
Seafoid

Rossfan

Good to win any day in any way but we can thank Cavan's wastefulness.
We obviously weren't that bothered about winning it leaving out so many of our better lads.

I don't suppose Longford would give us a double header next Sunday?
Unlikely though at this time of the year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Westside

Cavan kicked away the game, particularly in the first half. 16 wides to Roscommon's 2. Credit to Roscommon took their goal chance when it came and Cavan didn't have time to recover, Cavan finished with all of their main players on the field I doubt Roscommon did, which bodes well for them.

The main worry for Cavan is as it was thought before the year began, lack of scoring power. Lot of passengers today. Not one forward had an even half decent game. Don't see why they brought on Killian Clarke and stuck him at wing back. Referee was fairly poor I thought, two blatant Cavan frees towards the end were waved away and some very poor decisions for both sides throughout.

Good luck to Roscommon in the Final.

mylestheslasher

Some signs of weakness there alright Westside but thats the beauty of the Hastings cup, you get to see the weaknesses before the important stuff begins in March. Seems we need to work on our forwards for sure.

larryin89

Tbh I thought Mayo would be a lot better , after the first game against Longford , i started to get right good hopes for this team but it has proven to be quite the opposite .

Although we have a handful of excellent footballers for this grade , we had them and more last year too, I'd expect a strong Rossie to knock us clean out in the first round of the chanpionship. It's very disappointing to be consistently bad at this grade for a number of years whilst at the same time thinking there is massive potential there. We are doing something wrong at this grade , also find it strange with picking such a massive panel (43 I think) there was no room for last years minors like Irwin, docherty or tommy goals although you can understand tommy goals been left out because of Kiltanes semi final tomorrow , only to an extent though can't see why he wouldn't of been able to play in earlier games.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

muppet

Quote from: larryin89 on January 25, 2014, 10:21:52 PM
Tbh I thought Mayo would be a lot better , after the first game against Longford , i started to get right good hopes for this team but it has proven to be quite the opposite .

Although we have a handful of excellent footballers for this grade , we had them and more last year too, I'd expect a strong Rossie to knock us clean out in the first round of the chanpionship. It's very disappointing to be consistently bad at this grade for a number of years whilst at the same time thinking there is massive potential there. We are doing something wrong at this grade , also find it strange with picking such a massive panel (43 I think) there was no room for last years minors like Irwin, docherty or tommy goals although you can understand tommy goals been left out because of Kiltanes semi final tomorrow , only to an extent though can't see why he wouldn't of been able to play in earlier games.

I'd have no problem giving them game time in the League, never mind U-21.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on January 25, 2014, 10:25:57 PM

It'd be a tad desperate flinging kids into senior when they're not even making the U21 team.

sans pessimism

I'd give them time to do their leaving certs first,dont ye think
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

muppet

Quote from: sans pessimism on January 25, 2014, 11:26:00 PM

That attitude sums us up perfectly.

Cillian O'Connor was YPOTY at 19 ffs.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Is this the same you Larry?

Quote from: larryin89 on January 22, 2014, 06:23:59 PM
I'm not looking for a " tear up the script " type thing like your suggesting I am.

Two changes , make room for Adam Gallagher and Evan Regan for the league campaign, if it works , go with it .

I love that aul internet era especially the way you can get to debate your passion with other passionate people but I do think there is a lot of over analysing goes on. We need a couple of scoring forwards to improve our chances of winning an all Ireland .

Adam Gallagher is someone I want to see along with Regan, but is that really all you want to try out?

AFAIK Adam Gallagher is only a year older than the other 3.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on January 25, 2014, 11:31:30 PM

Was COC making the U21 team?

As I recall COC was carried in 2011 because Mayo were, frankly, crap at taking frees. London almost sunk you because of it. The lad was deadly on the frees but as a open play forward he was pretty damn raw that year and got marked out of most of the games he played in.

Unless you need Irwin to bang over the frees I think that's a bad example to use. If you're looking for a flier you'd be better sticking with someone like Tom King or kidnapping Evan Regan.

sans pessimism

:-*
Quote from: muppet on January 25, 2014, 11:31:30 PM

How many masters do you want them to serve...have
you read the reports on player burnout ffs.I think  your assertion that  these kids that haven't even finished
their 2nd level education should be playing for their county at three different levels is simply mad.Muppet,do you
honestly think that we haven't enough quality for our senior squad without invading our minor ranks?
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

muppet

Tommy goals can play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jzFEjTNqR4

And keep Liam Irwin this trim and he can fairly play too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTWhPYWTYCE

Try them all, and if it works out that it is too soon, try them again in a year or two. These lads have more football in their fingernails than some of our senior forward panellists.
MWWSI 2017

sans pessimism

Quote from: muppet on January 25, 2014, 11:55:36 PM
Tommy goals can play:

Try them all, and if it works out that it is too soon, try them again in a year or two. These lads have more football in their fingernails than some of our senior forward panellists.
No-one is questioning their talent-player burnout is the problem....Do you honestly not see that.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ross4life

Just looked over the Mayo teams selected in the 4 Hastings cup games, pure experimental stuff by the looks of it, some lads given a run out that won't even make it onto championship panel against us. Could be wrong but by my count only Aidan Butler,Gareth O'Donnell,Anthony Jordan started all 4 games.

You have to be careful with minors, some like C O'Connor,A O'Shea,C Daly,D Smith can make the step right away while others take longer to develop. We also had a good minor team last year that should have played Mayo in AI final but of that team only one or two will be starting on our U21 team this March.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: sans pessimism on January 26, 2014, 12:01:51 AM
Quote from: muppet on January 25, 2014, 11:55:36 PM
Tommy goals can play:

Player burnout is the problem....Do you honestly not see that.

Is it really?

Tell me how many games has Liam Irwin played since Breaffy lost the County Final?
MWWSI 2017