That Westmeath lad that hates Syferus
Shamrock Shore
The Dinnytron 5000
Ciarrai_thuaidh
Tippabu
Seafoid

shark

Quote from: larryin89 on January 05, 2014, 12:47:11 AM
Fairly impressive performance by Mayo today, Adam Gallagher was outstanding, I'm not sure how much longer you can wait before you bring him into senior set up. I don't think Longford were as bad as the score suggests , they just didn't have the same quality as Mayo up front and we got a penalty for a foot block to start the ball rolling.

On a sidenote I'd like to ask a question about the black card, today was my first time to see it .

Longford attacker gets dispossessed , Mayo begin the counter attack at speed , Longford player who is now obviously behind the play , screams at the ref, ref blows and shows the black card and then restarts play with a throw in.

I'm baffled at this,surely the play should continue and then go back to show the black card? It's like a contradiction of the reasoning for the black card rule, sure a player could get play stopped cynically by taking the black card but stopping an attack ,,which could be further up the field than today's incident.

Is this the rule or did the ref get it wrong? Should the play of continued and black card given after play comes to a halt?

The ref should have let play progress as you suggest. I'm sure in retrospect he knows he got it wrong. There are gonna be mistakes early on.

moysider

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 04, 2014, 04:24:03 PM
Mayo beat Longford by 8 points. Cavan v Mayo next Sunday. Anyone know the time and venue for that game?

Just read the local report there. Some good quality in the Mayo side. The half-back line has a nice look to it. Pure footballers.

larryin89

Quote from: moysider on January 06, 2014, 06:56:52 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 04, 2014, 04:24:03 PM
Mayo beat Longford by 8 points. Cavan v Mayo next Sunday. Anyone know the time and venue for that game?

Just read the local report there. Some good quality in the Mayo side. The half-back line has a nice look to it. Pure footballers.

The number five was outstanding at times , very commanding, great presence . Sean Regan . There's a good swagger to a few of them and I like it but the Adam Gallagher boy is the real deal for sure.He was a fantastic minor two years ago too.  His enthusiasm to be involved in as much play as possible is amazing , I noticed him lay off a ball from Mayo cb position , he ran through a clustered midfield area like a hare and got the return in our ff line nearly and the midfield area at this time had about seven big Longford men who tried to halt his run but to no avail. His kicking is great , skill, pace, he's virtually faultless , two stray balls ( crossfield ) is all you could fault him for and when weighing that up with his overall contribution , it seems more apt to not even mention that.

I personally think it is vital to our overall progress that we win the Connacht championship at this grade this year .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Can anyone stop the Rhu U21s this year or even give them a game??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

larryin89

Quote from: Rossfan on January 06, 2014, 07:26:37 PM

Do ya hear the shite coming out of ya, ye have had a couple of wins at this grade over us the last while and you think it gives you some sort of authority in this grade.

Can't wait for the game in McHale park.

Oh and we still have twice as many all Ireland's and over three times as many provincial titles at this grade too. Ftr
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on January 06, 2014, 07:48:04 PM

Do ya hear the shite coming out of ya, ye have had a couple of wins at this grade over us the last while and you think it gives you some sort of authority in this grade.

Oh and we still have twice as many all Ireland's and over three times as many provincial titles at this grade too. Ftr

Don t mind them Larry. T'will be sweet if we can take them this year.

Seriously though this Hasting's Cup should be a great boost. The last few years our U21s were way undercooked going into Championship. Back in the day we used to do Hasting's Cup we were consistently getting to the later stages of the Championship.

I see Evan Regan scored 1-3 for Sligo IT on Sunday after playing first half v Longford.

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on January 06, 2014, 08:06:07 PM

Seriously though this Hasting's Cup should be a great boost. The last few years our U21s were way undercooked going into Championship. Back in the day we used to do Hasting's Cup we were consistently getting to the later stages of the Championship.

I see Evan Regan scored 1-3 for Sligo IT on Sunday after playing first half v Longford.

4th win in a row against ye at this grade would be extra sweet for us.

We won the Hastings cup in 2008,09 & had no luck against "undercooked" Mayo teams in the championship those years so i'm not sure how much you can read into this pre-season competition.

Evan played well will Horan give him another go? IMO the most impressive forward for IT Sligo yesterday was Ryan McHugh of Donegal one to watch this summer i'd say.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on January 06, 2014, 09:21:28 PM

We won the Hastings cup in 2008,09 & had no luck against "undercooked" Mayo teams in the championship those years so i'm not sure how much you can read into this pre-season competition.

Evan played well will Horan give him another go? IMO the most impressive forward for IT Sligo yesterday was Ryan McHugh of Donegal one to watch this summer i'd say.

He's a half-pint of a man but he's a bundle of talent. Exactly not the Donegal prototype right now but with a bit of physical development he can live up to his surname.

moysider

How can you claim to have the edge in sweetness?

For us the Dempsey and Duffy years at U21 were very disappointing. There was plenty of players there too but they played like total strangers.

Not too familiar with current U21s but some I do know and I think they can play senior which is what it is all about imo. I m talking about Regan X2, Coen, Burke and Gallagher anyway and maybe others that I ve not seen much of.

Larry gave Gallagher rave reviews and no doubt he is top prospect. If I may be permitted a caveat it is that Adam Gallagher is a serious athlete - seriously good cross country runner - and at this time of year would show most players up. If the gap is as wide later in the year is another thing. But the half forward line on the senior team has an opening for that kind of player. Some of the others I mentioned may have to wait a while for a cut at senior because they re operating in the same positions as likes of Keegan and Boyle. Those boys will take shifting but the competition can only be good for us.

Evan has declined an invitation to get involved with the seniors recently.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 06, 2014, 10:12:16 PM

For us the Dempsey and Duffy years at U21 were very disappointing. There was plenty of players there too but they played like total strangers.

Not too familiar with current U21s but some I do know and I think they can play senior which is what it is all about imo. I m talking about Regan X2, Coen, Burke and Gallagher anyway and maybe others that I ve not seen much of.

Larry gave Gallagher rave reviews and no doubt he is top prospect. If I may be permitted a caveat it is that Adam Gallagher is a serious athlete - seriously good cross country runner - and at this time of year would show most players up. If the gap is as wide later in the year is another thing. But the half forward line on the senior team has an opening for that kind of player. Some of the others I mentioned may have to wait a while for a cut at senior because they re operating in the same positions as likes of Keegan and Boyle. Those boys will take shifting but the competition can only be good for us.

We're going all Jam Horan at U21 this year. It's just Game One. Absolutely no enjoyment would be taken by Roscommon supporters beating 'poor ' Mayo. None.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2014, 10:22:07 PM

We're going all Jam Horan at U21 this year. It's just Game One. Absolutely no enjoyment would be taken by Roscommon supporters beating 'poor ' Mayo. None.

What y on about Sy? Really? If ye beat us good luck to ye.
And it s not like anybody is crying the poor mouth. If we have a midfield at this level - Larry probably knows better  than I - then I think we ll have enough to give any team a run for their money.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 06, 2014, 10:31:32 PM

And it s not like anybody is crying the poor mouth. If we have a midfield at this level - Larry probably knows better  than I - then I think we ll have enough to give any team a run for their money.

Winners of Connacht should make the AI final again. Who that will be is a lottery between Ros, Mayo and Galway. It'll come down to attitude on the day as there's little between the panels in terms of talent.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2014, 10:34:58 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 06, 2014, 10:31:32 PM

Winners of Connacht should make the AI final again. Who that will be is a lottery between Ros, Mayo and Galway. It'll come down to attitude on the day as there's little between the panels in terms of talent.

I ll go along with that because I m sadly ignorant about Roscommon and Galway. The attitude thing, yeah. The apparent lack of belief and purpose in our ranks for a few years was hard to take. But Mayo s minor run last year is promising after a few tough years. It was by no means a vintage Mayo crop compared to a lot teams in the recent past. But it showed what a bit of low-key, sensible but thorough management can achieve.

ross4life

Mayo will be at home on a high after winning the minor AI and i'd say you will be favourites with bookies. Gallagher was also good at schools level last year if you want to read into that.

I wonder why he declined?

Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2014, 10:34:58 PM
Steady on.

While the Connacht U-21 championship will have three AI contenders the winner has to face Munster champs which could be Tipp containing plenty of their 2011 AI minor team.

On another note the teams that bet us the last four years have gone on to win the U-21 AI, couldn't happen for a 5th year in a row could it?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open