FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 11, 2015, 11:57:49 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on January 11, 2015, 10:42:14 PM
Will Vaughan be suited to fb come championship time? Who was the ff today for Sligo IT?

Larry; how in God's name could anybody answer that yet?
But its a good sign the new lads are exploring the possibility.
Look, he ll possibly get another cut at it against Ros next Sunday at the Taj Mahal. If he can deal with a proper blue chip forward then we might be on to something.

Sorry we're resting all them. And we have lots.

larryin89

I believe we tend to overlook Hennellys weakness in not being dominant enough with dealing with a high ball and also our gameplan in general under horan tended to leave a gap for 50/50 balls into fb/ff battle.  All that said Caff has been exposed at crucial times in massive games and was lucky not to be caught out more in 13 final for example.

Vaughan is interesting , hopefully it can be tested in league games.

Is Darren Coen injured?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 11, 2015, 10:21:26 PM
How did Michael Hall get on?

Quality player. U21 again in 2016 I think. Just need time and a bit more size for senior. He s also in the most competitive part of the panel for places.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2015, 07:48:54 PM
The Ballagh Rossies are finally coming round -

8)
What sort of Irish culture does Roscommon GAA promote? Yogurt?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Chimley

A bit of a cold prevented me from turning up yesterday but it's interesting to see that options are being explored like Vaughan at FB. I'd be a bit nervous about it based on some incidents from the past like how Dublin exploited Donie on kickouts v Connelly but he may be more suited to it now as I hear that he has bulked up a bit.
I read somewhere that we might be going for a more physical approach this year and trying the likes of Corduff and G Duffy would seem to fit in with that. I'm not sure how many midfielder types we can carry in the squad though so there will be some disappointments when the cull comes.
It's a similar picture elsewhere though as we seem to have loads of prospects in the hb line, too many nippy corner forward types but we still need to find options in the fb and hf lines and maybe a target man at ff. 
I'm encouraged so far by the attitude that seems to have carried over from the Horan era and we seem to have started the transition without too much upheaval internally so far, but the big tests are still to come.

seafoid

It looks like a Galway- Mayo final. Will Mayo continue the experimental approach ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Nihilist

Quote from: seafoid on January 12, 2015, 12:45:23 PM
It looks like a Galway- Mayo final. Will Mayo continue the experimental approach ?
Ya

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on January 11, 2015, 11:44:02 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on January 11, 2015, 11:26:14 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2015, 10:50:14 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on January 11, 2015, 10:42:14 PM
Will Vaughan be suited to fb come championship time? Who was the ff today for Sligo IT?

Jaysus Larr yer not really going to stick Vaughan in there are ye. In my opinion the worst marker of all of Mayo's starting backs, far more suited to a HF or sweeper role if he has the football IQ to read plays. Sticking him on a man inside and hoping for the best sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

On second thoughts, I think ye should do it!

I'd have to agree with Syf there, wouldn't mind seeing him playing around the midfield / hf line instead of in the hb line

Disagree. I think Vaughan should be explored a bit more in the fb role. I dunno who was playing ff for IT today and don t care really. Let s see Vaughan in a National League game before we dismiss it. To put Sy. at ease Vaughan read the game very well today at 3 and looked comfortable. If anything he looks stronger and his hands were good. No doubting his durability and commitment ever. His looseness at times at chb was down to our tactical approach. He was encouraged to attack at will. He s a top team player and I d give him a good shout at cutting it at fb. Besides we have plenty options 5-12 (our U21 hb line is the best line in the team), but we need somebody other than Caff. that can play 3. Caff. does well on most but Vaughan is a more physical/aggression possibility. First National League game could see Vaughan go up against Donaghy. We d learn more there.

Can't see anything happening against Kerry with Donaghy. 
Austin Stack guys won't be involved until after club semi final which is Feb 15.

moysider

Gavin Duffy now expected to feature v Rossies next Sunday after his no-show last week. A paperwork issue they say it was. I m sure somebody knows what that could have been exactly. If himself and Corduff are on the field at the same time we could see a lot of crash ball up the middle targeting the smaller Ros defenders. The stats will be analysed with gusto for line breaks and yards gained.

mayo.mick

Quote from: moysider on January 12, 2015, 08:55:01 PM

Gavin Duffy now expected to feature v Rossies next Sunday after his no-show last week. A paperwork issue they say it was. I m sure somebody knows what that could have been exactly. If himself and Corduff are on the field at the same time we could see a lot of crash ball up the middle targeting the smaller Ros defenders. The stats will be analysed with gusto for line breaks and yards gained.

From 15 years ago I'm hearing!
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

moysider

Quote from: mayo.mick on January 12, 2015, 10:46:37 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 12, 2015, 08:55:01 PM

From 15 years ago I'm hearing!

Wha?

moysider

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on January 12, 2015, 08:17:25 AM
Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2015, 07:48:54 PM
The Ballagh Rossies are finally coming round -

What sort of Irish culture does Roscommon GAA promote? Yogurt?

Can't be anything else. I mean "Roscommon" and "culture" just don't get along.
It would be an oxymoron like Microsoft Works or  open secret.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Jases ye rhubarbs are awful thick.
Obv never heard of Hyde, Wilde, Matt Molloy, carty family, John Wynne, Patsy Hanly, Annalu of Loch Ce etc ad infinitum and so forth. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM