Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

Rip Diego, greatest ever, legend.
nil satis nisi optimum

armaghniac

Quote from: Hound on November 25, 2020, 05:58:30 PM
I didn't see enough of Diego in club football to have a firm opinion on comparing him to the current greats.

But I've watched almost every match in every World Cup from 1982 to date, and his tournament performances are the best I've ever seen.

the man had phenomenal natural talent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLVmBJEzXhk
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Hound on November 25, 2020, 05:58:30 PM
I didn't see enough of Diego in club football to have a firm opinion on comparing him to the current greats.

But I've watched almost every match in every World Cup from 1982 to date, and his tournament performances are the best I've ever seen.

He had some record with Napoli, scored a lot of goals in an era in Italy when it was difficult to do so.

I used to work with a lad from Naples, a very casual interest in football but reckoned he barely missed a game when Maradona was there; Had a huge impact on the city.

sid waddell

Diego existed far and away above anything so trivial as football

He is best looked at as an other worldly liberator of whole peoples

Their entire existence, their entire sense of themselves was validated by him

This is not an exaggeration in any sense - this is genuinely how he made the peoples of Argentina and of Naples feel

In a world sense and in a non football sense, only the likes of Mandela, Martin Luther King and Gandhi had this sort of effect

In history and legend, what he did for Argentina in those four minutes in 1986 was like what Moses did for the Israelites

He was the chosen one

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

J70

Its mind boggling to see what he could do on the pitch in the midst of the brutal tackling and near assaults that were permitted back then.

Just go look at that one quarter final against England as an example.

He was hacked out of it by several players. He was elbowed and hit repeatedly, requiring treatment several times (no sympathy for England from me when he then led with the arm and managed to beat Shilton!).

Yet, he kept coming, demanding the ball, backheeling it to teammates in space, driving at the English, leaving them hacking at fresh air as he'd change direction and ghost past and between them, at sprint speed, with the ball stuck to his feet, through inches of space. Then just happened to score the greatest individual goal of all time. In a World Cup quarter final. With all that pressure on his shoulders.

Just imagine what he could do if he'd come through in the present generation of footballers.

Messi and Ronaldo me arse.

Him and Pele are in their own tier.

Rossfan

Roscommon u21 AI winning Captain Colm Shine RIP.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Capt Pat

Diego  was a hero to many here and in Argentina for what he did to England. He will never be forgotten while any who saw him play are still alive.

Very sad to hear about Dominici as well in the last 24 hours. Gone too soon.

HiMucker

Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 06:16:09 PM

This is not an exaggeration in any sense - this is genuinely how he made the peoples of Argentina and of Naples feel

In a world sense and in a non football sense, only the likes of Mandela, Martin Luther King and Gandhi had this sort of effect

In history and legend, what he did for Argentina in those four minutes in 1986 was like what Moses did for the Israelites

He was the chosen one
Jesus Sid settle yourself ;D

RIP Maradona. That highlights reel above is something else. Some of them misses would be all time great goals if they had have went in.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on November 25, 2020, 04:32:38 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 04:22:56 PM
Diego   :'( :'( :'(

The Greatest
Same date as George Best died.
RIP Maradona.
Ever think your birthday is unlucky?

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 25, 2020, 08:38:02 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 25, 2020, 04:32:38 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 04:22:56 PM
Diego   :'( :'( :'(

The Greatest
Same date as George Best died.
RIP Maradona.
Ever think your birthday is unlucky?
My Granny died on this date also....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hoof Hearted

Father Ted and father Jack both died on 29th February
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

BennyCake

Main Street

a big difference with Maradona  that stands him out from the other greats is that for the most part he was the essential inspirational element, both in Napoli's and Argentina's successes. Eg. Messi had Xavi and Iniesta alongside him at Barca  but limp when it came to Argentina.

mouview

Quote from: sid waddell on November 25, 2020, 06:16:09 PM

He was the chosen one

Senna was the Brazilian equivalent.

Sorry but Maradona not GOAT. Messi for me.