Tyrone v Mayo - Sun 2nd Feb - 2.30pm - Healy Park, Omagh (Joe McQuillan ref)

Started by tyroneman, January 29, 2019, 10:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Too early to say this is a must win for Tyrone?

Lose first 2 in a row and your whole focus is then placed on battling to avoid relegation.

skeog

Jeremiah O

Surely Mickey has to start Kyle Coney in this one.
Showed well in his last 2 substitute appearances.
Unconquered and unconquerable

LeoMc

Quote from: Jeremiah O on January 29, 2019, 12:18:38 PM
Last year MH almost always held LB back so that he would get opportunities to score as space opened up. He could be doing the same with Kyle. It is when a game opens up that Kyle is at his most effective. I would rather he came on at a point where there were more options for his abilities than to see him starting and doing 40 minutes of chasing / harrying / tackling and getting no time on the ball.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: LeoMc on January 30, 2019, 08:15:28 AM
Last year MH almost always held LB back so that he would get opportunities to score as space opened up. He could be doing the same with Kyle. It is when a game opens up that Kyle is at his most effective. I would rather he came on at a point where there were more options for his abilities than to see him starting and doing 40 minutes of chasing / harrying / tackling and getting no time on the ball.

Harte only started this tactic with Lee after he returned from injury for the Super 8s game with Donegal. Lee then started v Monaghan in the semi final and was a sub for the final. Earlier in the year he started every league game bar the opener v Galway, and started the first championship game v Monaghan before getting injured.

I would agree this could be a useful tactic for Coney though. For me the jury is still out on his ability to influence a tight game v strong opposition when he is being man marked. He does deserve a chance though.

skeog

Farrandeelin

Game not till Sunday lads. More than likely the snow will have gone by then.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Tyrone (NFL Division One v Mayo, 3/2/2019): Niall Morgan (Éadan na dTorc); Michael McKernan (Oileán a'Ghuail), Ronan McNamee (Achadh Uí Aráin), Hugh Pat McGeary (Cabhán a'Chaortainn); Tiernan McCann (Coill an Chlochair), Rory Brennan (Trí Leac), Peter Harte (Aireagal Chiaráin); Brian Kennedy (Doire Lochain), Declan McClure (Cluain Eo); Matthew Donnelly (Trí Leac), Niall Sludden (An Droim Mhór), Kieran McGeary (Cabhán a'Chaortainn); Darren McCurry (Éadan na dTorc), Cathal McShane (Eoghan Ruadh Uí Néill), Lee Brennan (Trí Leac).
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rrhf

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on January 30, 2019, 09:07:32 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on January 30, 2019, 08:15:28 AM

Harte only started this tactic with Lee after he returned from injury for the Super 8s game with Donegal. Lee then started v Monaghan in the semi final and was a sub for the final. Earlier in the year he started every league game bar the opener v Galway, and started the first championship game v Monaghan before getting injured.

I would agree this could be a useful tactic for Coney though. For me the jury is still out on his ability to influence a tight game v strong opposition when he is being man marked. He does deserve a chance though.
I'd say Kyle is happy to be back in and he is performing at the level. That article last year changed my opinion of him and I think he will work as hard as anyone to push on. Delighted to see him back.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 01, 2019, 10:53:08 AM
Tyrone (NFL Division One v Mayo, 3/2/2019): Niall Morgan (Éadan na dTorc); Michael McKernan (Oileán a'Ghuail), Ronan McNamee (Achadh Uí Aráin), Hugh Pat McGeary (Cabhán a'Chaortainn); Tiernan McCann (Coill an Chlochair), Rory Brennan (Trí Leac), Peter Harte (Aireagal Chiaráin); Brian Kennedy (Doire Lochain), Declan McClure (Cluain Eo); Matthew Donnelly (Trí Leac), Niall Sludden (An Droim Mhór), Kieran McGeary (Cabhán a'Chaortainn); Darren McCurry (Éadan na dTorc), Cathal McShane (Eoghan Ruadh Uí Néill), Lee Brennan (Trí Leac).

Lee Brennan ran amok last year in Castlebar. To be honest Boyler should have gotten the line for a horror tackle and Tyrone would have hammered us by even more if we had been down to 14!! Last time up in Omagh we won so it will be interesting to see if the gap has narrowed or widened between us and Tyrone since last year?

Blowitupref

Round 1 of the league last year Tyrone lost away game by 4 points and only scored 0-8 very similar happened against Kerry last Sunday.  Round 2 last year they were well beaten at home. It took until round 5 v Donegal before Tyrone showed signs of the side that would go on to the reach the AI final.  What shape are Tyrone in right now, can they bounce back this weekend or will it be mid league before the best of them are seen again which might open the door for a Mayo win this Sunday?

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Mayo team named. Debut for Ciaran Treacy. The two other changes sees starts for James McComack & Fionn McDonagh, the three players who drop out are Colm Boyle, Fergal Boland & Evan Regan

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
2. Eoin O'Donoghue - Belmullet
3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5. James McCormack - Claremorris
6. Lee Keegan - Westport
7. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
8. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber(C)
9. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
11. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
12. Ciaran Treacy - Ballina Stephenites
13. Conor Diskin - Claremorris
14. Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

giveherlong

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 30, 2019, 03:33:39 PM

More snow in Omagh again tonight

moysider

Quote from: giveherlong on February 01, 2019, 09:40:12 PM

A lot more snow needed from a Mayo point of view. Very callow team selected. Looks like an FBD team.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on February 01, 2019, 10:22:15 PM
Quote from: giveherlong on February 01, 2019, 09:40:12 PM

A lot more snow needed from a Mayo point of view. Very callow team selected. Looks like an FBD team.

What do you expect? Have to blood players to fill the gaps after retirements the next couple of years.