Sunday World hanging front page

Started by longrunsthefox, November 01, 2009, 02:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandino

angermanagement, if only that were to prove to be true. Alas i fear it will not.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

stew

Here is the reply I got after complaining about the Sunday world.

At least they are being forced to apologise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Simon Yip <simon.yip@pcc.org.uk>
Sent: Wed, November 4, 2009 11:03:38 AM
Subject: Sunday World article - "grotesque" - 01/11/09

Thank you for contacting us about the article published in the Sunday World.  We have received several complaints about this matter.

The Commission will first seek to have regard to the feelings of the family of the deceased about the article.  Any complaint under Clause 5 (Intrusion into grief or shock) is likely to need to rely on the views of those who are experiencing the grief, such as family members.  Furthermore, the PCC process can have a public outcome, and we would not wish to act in any way that might add to the intrusion of those affected by the piece.

To that end, the Commission has been in touch with police, who are in a position to represent the interests of the family.  We have made clear our services to them, and will respond to any complaint they wish to make.

I hope you can understand why we are trying to take the family's feelings into consideration in this way.

I should also point out that we now understand from the newspaper that a published apology is to appear in the paper on Sunday, in response to the complaints that have been made.

If you feel that the Commission should still take forward your complaint, with no involvement from the family, we will ask Commission members to consider your submission.  A decision can then be reached about your case.  Please contact us within the next 10 days with your further thoughts, and your complaint will be assessed.  You may wish to see the published apology before pursuing the matter further.

Yours sincerely

Simon Yip

simon.yip@pcc.org.uk

Press Complaints Commission

Halton House

20/23 Holborn

London EC1N 2JD

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: ziggysego on November 02, 2009, 02:01:44 AM
Point 5 of the PCC code of practice on 'Intrusion into grief or shock'
"*ii) When reporting suicide, care should be taken to avoid excessive detail about the method used."

I cited this as part of the reason for my complaint, I cited two parts, although I got a generic enough reply I think that McDowell might finally be taken to task over this and I hope no one on here will buy his snot rag anymore.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

longrunsthefox

I got that letter too. Is impressive enough how the PCC has dealt with it and put the man's family first unlike McDowell.