Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

longrunsthefox

If it was any other organisation there would be calls for it to be disband... just a thought   ::)

orangeman

Bishop apology for 'evil' abuse 

Dr Noel Treanor made the comments to a congregation in Carryduff 
The Bishop of Down and Connor has apologised to all victims of child sex abuse by the Catholic church.

Dr Noel Treanor was speaking after a report last week said thousands had been abused over 60 years.

He said the report was "heartbreaking" and had recorded cruelty and abuses which were "criminal and sinful."

But Dr Treanor said the church was addressing the "evil", adding that the Down and Connor diocese now had robust child protection measures in place.

"I state my sorrow, shame and visceral pain in the face of these and all abuses inflicted on children and vulnerable adults, whenever they took place, wherever they are perpetrated," he told a congregation in Carryduff on Sunday.

"I apologise on behalf of the church to all who are victims of abuse on the part of those who professed to care for them, or minister to them, in the name of Christ.

"I apologise, too, for the failure of those in positions of leadership in the Church to deal with the abusers."

The victims of child abuse by religious orders were among 35,000 children who were placed in a network of reformatories, industrial schools and workhouses until the early 1990s.

Abuse at Catholic institutions was investigated
More than 2,000 people told the Commission to Inquire Into Child Abuse they suffered physical and sexual abuse as children in the institutions.

The commission found that sexual abuse was "endemic" in boys' institutions, and church leaders knew what was going on.

Dr Treanor said: "As we grasp the extent and dimensions of this evil that has been at work within the church, we have to recognise that as a church in particular, and as society, and as individuals, we stand in need of chastening our moral and personal radar.

"Anger, indifference, denial, washing one's hands of guilt, like Pilate, if partly comprehensible as reactions, will not suffice on the part of anyone."

The Irish deputy prime minister called the abuse of children in Catholic-run institutions as one of the "darkest chapters" in Irish history.

The leader of the Catholic Church in Ireland, Cardinal Sean Brady, said anyone responsible for the abuse should be held to account.

The report, nine years in the making and covering a period of six decades, also found government inspectors failed to stop beatings, rapes and humiliation.

The findings will not be used for criminal prosecutions.  

orangeman

The Minister for Finance has welcomed calls for the religious orders cited in the Ryan Report to increase their contributions to the State's compensation fund for victims of institutional child abuse.

But Mr Lenihan and the Taoiseach have both stressed that the Government may not have the legal ability to force the religious orders to make a larger contribution.

The Bishop of Down and Connor, Noel Treanor, said he supported calls for the religious orders involved to increase their contributions to the compensation fund for victims.

AdvertisementOn RTÉ Radio's This Week programme, Bishop Treanor said the Church must take the necessary steps to address outstanding issues and be seen to do so honestly, courageously and humbly.

Fr Timothy Bartlett, personal assistant to Cardinal Séan Brady, said the members of the Conference of Religious in Ireland who ran the schools had to pay more towards the State's redress scheme.

The Labour leader, Eamon Gilmore, described the remarks as a 'strong signal' that the Church was prepared to reopen the agreement capping the contribution by the orders, which was signed in 2002.

He called on the Government to get in touch with the religious orders quickly, with a view to reopening negotiations.

However, the Taoiseach said that it would not be helpful for him to speculate on what had been said.

The Government is to hold a special meeting this week to discuss the fall-out from the Commission report, and will be getting legal advice from the Attorney General on the deal.

But obviously, Mr Cowen said, if those on the other side of the agreement were prepared to reopen it, the State would sit down and discuss that.

On a possible referendum on children, Mr Cowen said it had not been possible to reach a consensus on the holding of a referendum, and it was now up to the Minister for Children to come back to Government with his considered opinion on how to move forward.

Meanwhile, Ombudsman for Children Emily Logan said it was incorrect for the Health Service Executive to say that all children in residential were assured of independent inspection.

She said that only two of the nine centres accommodating 180 children who have come here from abroad without their families are independently monitored.

She added that a further 200 children with intellectual disabilities are living in residential institutions which are not inspected by the Health Information and Quality Authority.

Ping Pong Santa

I don't go to mass but would be interested to know of many local priests who spoke out this Sunday. Anyone anything to report?

pintsofguinness

Parish priest in Cross did, strangely he said something similar to the bishop, that the perverts were criminals and talked about the child protection measures in place, how he can't give a child a lift if he sees one on the road etc.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

Bishop Casey said today that the abusers should all be charged, convicted and jailed.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 24, 2009, 12:54:47 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 24, 2009, 03:44:08 AM
Compensation - why do people need money to make things right?!!!
f**king Ireland turning American!
Throw money at a problem and everything will be sorted.

Can see what you are seeing to an extent but what else is there?  'Sorry.. now on yer way'...  It will help make life more comfortable and these people deserve all the comfort now they can get. Money don't make it right but it is something. Would be more important to have these sadists in jail.

The guilty monsters should be charged and tried in a court of law and if found guilty should be sent to prison for the full term available.
As for myles, please don't try and second guess my opinion.
Tbc....

Donagh

Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2009, 09:16:58 PM
My ma came in from mass the other night with a wee piece of card, asking for 'Prayers for the Priests'.

Sure it wasn't 'Prayers for Vocations'?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 25, 2009, 01:41:09 PM

Can see what you are seeing to an extent but what else is there?  'Sorry.. now on yer way'...  It will help make life more comfortable and these people deserve all the comfort now they can get. Money don't make it right but it is something. Would be more important to have these sadists in jail.

The guilty monsters should be charged and tried in a court of law and if found guilty should be sent to prison for the full term available.

And what about all the ones who buried the truth, obstructed the investigation. What should be done with them?

All these statements coming from leading church figures are nothing but words until some of them get off their arses and do something. Most victims that I've seen interviewed are not impressed by mere words. It is only the church grasping at straws as public opinion turns against them. Action is what the church needs to do, not releasing of statements. Start by paying what they said they would (they haven't even done this yet), then agree to pay more. Name and shame all involved and cooperate fully with any criminal investigation.

So what did the parish priests have to say for themselves at the weekend. Donagh, GDA  or any of ye that went to mass......

orangeman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 25, 2009, 01:49:40 PM

And what about all the ones who buried the truth, obstructed the investigation. What should be done with them?

All these statements coming from leading church figures are nothing but words until some of them get off their arses and do something. Most victims that I've seen interviewed are not impressed by mere words. It is only the church grasping at straws as public opinion turns against them. Action is what the church needs to do, not releasing of statements. Start by paying what they said they would (they haven't even done this yet), then agree to pay more. Name and shame all involved and cooperate fully with any criminal investigation.

So what did the parish priests have to say for themselves at the weekend. Donagh, GDA  or any of ye that went to mass......

Not a thing mentioned. Just put more money on the plate !  ;) They never said what it was for.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

If evidence can be found to prove obstruction, then the individuals involved should be tried as well - happy enough with that or will you only be happy if the whole church is made to wear sack cloth and ashes?

Local PP said that he was both ashamed and disgusted by what has happened and he asked everyone to join with him in praying for the victims of abuse.
Tbc....

Gnevin

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 25, 2009, 02:04:05 PM

If evidence can be found to prove obstruction, then the individuals involved should be tried as well - happy enough with that or will you only be happy if the whole church is made to wear sack cloth and ashes?

Local PP said that he was both ashamed and disgusted by what has happened and he asked everyone to join with him in praying for the victims of abuse.
Prayers are cheap. How about they pay the victims what agreed to pay and that's without getting into should they pay more .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Donagh

FFS Myles on one hand you're going to chase me from the door when I come canvassing because you have me pegged as a Shinner and now you have me down as a regular Mass attender because I'm trying to point out that others are laible for this scandal than the Church. On both cases you are incorrect, but since you ask, I was at a Traditional (Latin) Mass yesterday. They tend not to dwell on such parochial matters as this but we did pray for the salvation of Protestants, the conversion of the Jews and the conversion of communist Russia.

Must let them know next time that they've got the last one bate.

ardmhachaabu

PPS, it's better to be armed with the facts.

The Catholic Church in Ireland doesn't have control over any religious order.  Religious orders have their own processes for making decisions.  So, the Church had nothing to do with the court case the Brothers brought against the state.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on May 25, 2009, 07:27:51 PM
PPS, it's better to be armed with the facts.

The Catholic Church in Ireland doesn't have control over any religious order.  Religious orders have their own processes for making decisions.  So, the Church had nothing to do with the court case the Brothers brought against the state.

No thats why I was asking, I wouldn't profess to know the inner workings of the Church very well.