Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The PRO

I wonder could Dessie Farrell be approached? Good record with Dublin minors and doesn't seem to be with anyone. Would he be a football version of Fast Eddie B?

Keyser Söze

What would Laois Today suggest/post about/podcast about if here didn't exist?!
Think they eventually came up with the name of John Divilly to basically avoid being a podcast reviewing this forum. Total lack of fresh ideas. Some of their spoutings on their hurling preview were laughable. The "great" Tommy Buggy was on holidays. Nobody within Laois they could have splashed out on to preview the SHC? Especially after our most succesful IC year in many moons.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

High Fielder

I've been critical of LT in the past, but in fairness, their live feed for games and match reports are excellent. That said, there's a story to be told here and someone needs to tell it. Neither they nor the CB were on the ball if they were happy to trot out the "John's Gone Let's Move On" story. The man was too well regarded for that. Real journalism knows how to read the room, ask the right questions and form an opinion. What John Sugrue has to say means more to me right now than the madness of getting a new coach. We can't move forward until we know why we've stalled

Don Draper

Quote from: The PRO on August 01, 2019, 12:35:46 AM
I wonder could Dessie Farrell be approached? Good record with Dublin minors and doesn't seem to be with anyone. Would he be a football version of Fast Eddie B?
Funny you mention Eddie.

Dessie is in the Dublin hurling backroom team sent packing by Eddie.

And Eddie lived and worked in Laois.

The PRO

Quote from: Don Draper on August 01, 2019, 06:24:20 AM
Funny you mention Eddie.

Dessie is in the Dublin hurling backroom team sent packing by Eddie.

And Eddie lived and worked in Laois.
Didn't know that about Dessie Farrell. I actually wouldn't be a fan of him after his GPA time. But he appears to be a good coach, no?

portlaoisekid

Sugrue did a good job with Laois at a bad time for Laois and really it seems like he has the hard work done in terms of weeding out his squad and bringing fresh faces in. With Division 2 and 2 years conditioning under these lads its a surprise he left.

Its a pity we didn't hear why he left , if only just to stop the endless rumors doing the rounds about certain groups of players and /or our CB etc.

If he ends up with Kildare as coach or manager it will be some kick in the teeth to Laois football.I'd say thats unlikely and I would probably say his next move will be to a top club team.

As to where we go from here I dont know, there are no credible options within  the county at the minute and as for outsiders we dont have the money to get a top manager.I suspect  another journeyman incoming or else taking a total punt on an Eddie Brennan type recently retired player .

It seems every ounce of optimism that was built up in Laois football over the past 18 months or so has now disappeared.

High Fielder

Good post PK. Optimism is an appropriate word. Players get involved because of that optimism. People start following the team and put their money down because of optimism. Sugrue created that optimism. My optimism is shot right now and will be until I hear why he stepped down.

Jd

Has it occurred that he's stepped down for personal reasons and it's not being reported out of respect for his privacy. He's a good honorable family man and family comes first. I'm terribly disappointed that he's gone but I'm sure his reasons are solid and he doesn't need to tell the county his business. After all he isn't being paid and didn't have a contract

Tony

Quote from: portlaoisekid on August 01, 2019, 08:53:00 AM
It seems every ounce of optimism that was built up in Laois football over the past 18 months or so has now disappeared.
I definitely wouldn't go that far - we've made huge progress over the past 2 years. But until the managerial position is sorted, it's on pause for now. Hopefully CB aren't stupid enough to get evans or l.dempsey or one of those. Would personally love if the sugrue situation could be resolved and he comes back - stranger things have happened.

High Fielder

Quote from: Jd on August 01, 2019, 09:20:30 AM
Has it occurred that he's stepped down for personal reasons and it's not being reported out of respect for his privacy. He's a good honorable family man and family comes first. I'm terribly disappointed that he's gone but I'm sure his reasons are solid and he doesn't need to tell the county his business. After all he isn't being paid and didn't have a contract

I could accept that. And you can say that in a statement, just like you have, and everyone would walk away. However, our CB have made too many bad appointments, and made too many bad decisions, to be given impunity. I trust Sugrue more than them and I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth

Chrimtain

Quote from: High Fielder on August 01, 2019, 09:32:30 AM
Quote from: Jd on August 01, 2019, 09:20:30 AM

I could accept that. And you can say that in a statement, just like you have, and everyone would walk away. However, our CB have made too many bad appointments, and made too many bad decisions, to be given impunity. I trust Sugrue more than them and I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth

Perhaps Laois Today could interview John Sugrue, or even some one from the county board, instead of basing their articles on what they read here.

Giovanni

I don't think he's the kind of man that would be making statements about difficulties with the county board (or whoever). That wouldn't be his style. I have no idea what the reasons are but I doubt we'll be hearing them from the horses mouth.

It would be good however to know what the County Board did to try to keep him in place. Surely the clubs and supporters could reasonably ask that question?

SpeculativeEffort

Im going to throw the name Mick Bohan into the pot. Dublin ladies manager, worked with Jim Gavin as a selector, did very well with Clare.

GAA-SMART

Dessie over Na Fianna.. he only has one job on his radar..

Mick Bohan would be a good candidate as mentioned above.

Sugrue is a hard act to follow tho lads, will be in the mind of anyone new to inter county management that has aspirations

blueandwhite1

If they don't have a clear passion or vision for Laois, or a shit-hot CV then I personally would not like to see one of these backroom lads / former selectors.

That is, would love to see a big name like Malachy O'Rourke or Rory Gallagher. Failing that, start looking at local lads like Clancy, Higgins, Billy Sheehan. Billy in particular seems to be unpopular with some of the folks on here but there would be no shortage of passion and drive.

Of course it would be great to have Sugrue back but that rarely happens.