Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Main Street on July 09, 2013, 12:51:12 AM
FWIW there is a part workable alternative solution to macbook keyboard issues .
Here's what I sent to my daughter, she had one key not working.

Dear daughter,
To get around your macbook keyboard issue,
You need the keyboard icon in the menu, beside the volume icon on the desktop.
If it's not there
go to
<System prefs>
<Keyboard>
<Show keyboard character prefs in the menu bar>    activate it

Then go to the desktop and click on the keyboard icon  in the menu (beside the volume icon)
select  <Keyboard Viewer>
and abrakaddabra you have a workable keyboard on the desktop screen.
and it works in conjunction with the real keyboard.

Your loving Dad.

ood man. hank you for ha. I'll ive i a ry. For a Monahan man and despie your obvious limiaions you have o some use.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Well holy smokes - didn't it work. What can I say?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

dec

Sandy Hill

Just got a new laptop which has Windows 8 on it. Have read somewhere that I don't need to add any security features like anti-virus, anti spyware etc. Any observations or recommendations?
"Stercus accidit"

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on July 09, 2013, 02:49:33 PM
Well holy smokes - didn't it work. What can I say?

Congratlations.

Ah fck!

Syferus

Quote from: Sandy Hill on July 09, 2013, 05:03:22 PM
Just got a new laptop which has Windows 8 on it. Have read somewhere that I don't need to add any security features like anti-virus, anti spyware etc. Any observations or recommendations?

Might as well download and install AVG Free, it's, err, free and is more than enough coverage for most.

All of a Sludden

How are you finding Windows 8?
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on July 09, 2013, 02:40:01 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 09, 2013, 12:51:12 AM
FWIW there is a part workable alternative solution to macbook keyboard issues .
Here's what I sent to my daughter, she had one key not working.

Dear daughter,
To get around your macbook keyboard issue,
You need the keyboard icon in the menu, beside the volume icon on the desktop.
If it's not there
go to
<System prefs>
<Keyboard>
<Show keyboard character prefs in the menu bar>    activate it

Then go to the desktop and click on the keyboard icon  in the menu (beside the volume icon)
select  <Keyboard Viewer>
and abrakaddabra you have a workable keyboard on the desktop screen.
and it works in conjunction with the real keyboard.

Your loving Dad.

ood man. hank you for ha. I'll ive i a ry. For a Monahan man and despie your obvious limiaions you have o some use.
Offering a (partly workable) solution to a problem is easy, explaining it in a way that even a Tyronie can understand, is indeed a gift.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: All of a Sludden on July 09, 2013, 06:50:25 PM

How are you finding Windows 8?

Only using it for a day or so--it takes a bit of getting used to! One thing I miss is not being able to download the Google toolbar; at least I don't think I can do.
"Stercus accidit"

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2013, 06:04:45 PM

Might as well download and install AVG Free, it's, err, free and is more than enough coverage for most.

Had it installed on my last laptop but it slows things down a lot---but with Windows 8 is AVG necessary?
"Stercus accidit"

Syferus

Quote from: Sandy Hill on July 10, 2013, 06:43:40 PM

Had it installed on my last laptop but it slows things down a lot---but with Windows 8 is AVG necessary?

What were the specs of your last laptop compared to this one? AVG is relatively lightweight in my experience and shouldn't really be noticeable on even entry-level laptops being produced today.

Anyway, you would probably be fine with the OS-level protection like Windows Defender unless you need a anti-virus program to vet *ahem* questionable downloads.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Syferus on July 10, 2013, 07:04:20 PM
Quote from: Sandy Hill on July 10, 2013, 06:43:40 PM

What were the specs of your last laptop compared to this one? AVG is relatively lightweight in my experience and shouldn't really be noticeable on even entry-level laptops being produced today.

Anyway, you would probably be fine with the OS-level protection like Windows Defender unless you need a anti-virus program to vet *ahem* questionable downloads.

My last one had an 80 gig hard disc and 1 gig  of RAM---I think!  Don't download any "ahem" stuff:-)
"Stercus accidit"

GAA 125

I am looking for a reliable web hosting service, anyone point me in the right direction ?

It is to host a CMS website, averaging ~500 visitors daily. I have previously used ipage and justhost but I have not been impressed with the speed of the website.

Any advice or tips much appreciated.

GAA 125

Armaghgeddon