COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment

Started by From the Bunker, April 08, 2020, 02:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: andoireabu on April 09, 2020, 05:57:37 PM
Heard on the radio today that this is taxable but that employers aren't putting it through properly so people are likely to have a tax bill at the end of this

No, even if the employer completes the payroll procedure 100% correctly, their staff will have tax bills at the end of the year.

Hound

Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 05:59:49 PM
Heard on the radio today that this is taxable but that employers aren't putting it through properly so people are likely to have a tax bill at the end of this

No, even if the employer completes the payroll procedure 100% correctly, their staff will have tax bills at the end of the year.
Exactly, the point is to give people cash now. Applying PAYE to the Wage Subsidy would reduce cash in hand and cash is king at the moment.

But it is taxable - income tax (pretty sure that includes USC) will have to be paid. But it's not subject to PRSI (you don't lose any stamps though).

The way Revenue will collect the income tax is by reducing your tax credits for 2021, so it will be collected gradually over 12 months (possibly even over 24 months)

Hound

Quote from: pbat on April 09, 2020, 02:07:05 PM
I live in the North work and stamp my card in the south, I only started early this year. We are at home since 27th March, we were told to take holidays for the 1st week if you had any but I had none accrued yet. Anyone with none was told they would receive payment to an amount equivalent to the support received from the government. Today is payday for the 1st week off a and I received nothing.

I queried this with HR and got an email to state I did not qualify for the payment through the payroll and contact the social security office and claim benefit. I wont be entitled to the 350 euro as I live in the North. Anyone know is there any reasons you do not qualify for the 70% payments the Irish Government have set aside.
I asked this question to an expert previously and they said that residence doesn't matter for the Wage Subsidy Scheme. It's based on employees on the payroll. Government gives the money to the employer and the employer pays you, residence doesn't come into it.

I'm trying to verify that but havent been able to one way or the other yet, but I'll see what I can find out. However, there may be other reasons you don't qualify:

You must be on the payroll at 29 February 2020 to qualify and been part of the company's payroll submission for the period 1 Feb to 15 March.

Another reason people might not qualify is if they are paid too much. Average net weekly pay of €960 or more in the Jan/Feb period and you don't qualify (equates to about €76k gross I'm told).
So total amount received in the period (pension ignored) divided by the amount of weeks worked. Some people fall out because they received their 2019 bonus in January 2020 and therefore their average net weekly pay for Jan/Feb is not a fair reflection of their average pay. But Revenue aren't budging on that position.

pbat

Quote from: Hound on April 10, 2020, 08:22:37 AM
Quote from: pbat on April 09, 2020, 02:07:05 PM
I live in the North work and stamp my card in the south, I only started early this year. We are at home since 27th March, we were told to take holidays for the 1st week if you had any but I had none accrued yet. Anyone with none was told they would receive payment to an amount equivalent to the support received from the government. Today is payday for the 1st week off a and I received nothing.

I queried this with HR and got an email to state I did not qualify for the payment through the payroll and contact the social security office and claim benefit. I wont be entitled to the 350 euro as I live in the North. Anyone know is there any reasons you do not qualify for the 70% payments the Irish Government have set aside.
I asked this question to an expert previously and they said that residence doesn't matter for the Wage Subsidy Scheme. It's based on employees on the payroll. Government gives the money to the employer and the employer pays you, residence doesn't come into it.

I'm trying to verify that but havent been able to one way or the other yet, but I'll see what I can find out. However, there may be other reasons you don't qualify:

You must be on the payroll at 29 February 2020 to qualify and been part of the company's payroll submission for the period 1 Feb to 15 March.

Another reason people might not qualify is if they are paid too much. Average net weekly pay of €960 or more in the Jan/Feb period and you don't qualify (equates to about €76k gross I'm told).
So total amount received in the period (pension ignored) divided by the amount of weeks worked. Some people fall out because they received their 2019 bonus in January 2020 and therefore their average net weekly pay for Jan/Feb is not a fair reflection of their average pay. But Revenue aren't budging on that position.

Thanks Hound, I definitely qualify on the last two points, they are telling me its the residence is the issue.

Hound

Quote from: pbat on April 10, 2020, 10:42:04 AM
https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/documents/pmod-topics/guidance-on-operation-of-temporary-covid-wage-subsidy-scheme.pdf

3.13 states living in Northern Ireland is not an issue.

That confirms it alright cheers:

Is an employee who resides in Northern Ireland eligible?
Employers can claim the subsidy in respect of cross border workers where the employee is exercising an Irish
contract of employment in the Republic of Ireland, and where the employer satisfies the conditions of the scheme.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Hound on April 10, 2020, 08:06:28 AM
Quote from: five points on April 09, 2020, 05:59:49 PM

Exactly, the point is to give people cash now. Applying PAYE to the Wage Subsidy would reduce cash in hand and cash is king at the moment.

But it is taxable - income tax (pretty sure that includes USC) will have to be paid. But it's not subject to PRSI (you don't lose any stamps though).

The way Revenue will collect the income tax is by reducing your tax credits for 2021, so it will be collected gradually over 12 months (possibly even over 24 months)
The subsidy will be liable to Income Tax and USC by way of review at end of year. This is per latest version of guide. Page 11
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

From the Bunker

Time to horse all these now unemployed Teachers onto the €350 as there is no leaving Cert as all they now have to do is guess about 30 random numbers for the Leaving cert result for a subject.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 09, 2020, 12:54:35 AM
Time to horse all these now unemployed Teachers onto the €350 as there is no leaving Cert as all they now have to do is guess about 30 random numbers for the Leaving cert result for a subject.

So has the online teaching stopped? Is it only leaving cert teachers to be put on 80% or do they teach other years?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 09, 2020, 02:51:57 AM

So has the online teaching stopped? Is it only leaving cert teachers to be put on 80% or do they teach other years?

It will have stopped for this year's Leaving Cert? Why was there online stuff going on for other classes?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 09, 2020, 08:32:22 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 09, 2020, 02:51:57 AM

It will have stopped for this year's Leaving Cert? Why was there online stuff going on for other classes?

Kids have lessons that have to be finished and covered, so that when they go in next year they've new subjects. You did go to school?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Don't permanent teachers get paid year round anyway?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Signed up Monday! Fed up of working the last 3 months. Went to the Doctor and said I was afraid of getting the Covid because of my Chest. (I've no Chest problems). Doctor said ok and wrote me a sick note. Said I could probably get 6 months out of this. Went to the welfare office - no questions. Happy days. Great to be getting the €350. Loads of time now to go over homework backlog, Do some sports drills, get jobs done around the house and watch a few boxsets. I might even get bored! Was fed up being the fool (risking my life) earning money that will only be taken off me with tax hikes when the dust settles. Have even sorted out a small nixer that should see me on the same money as working. I don't even care now what the Teachers do in September as I will be adaptable to multiple runs to the school if necessary or I'll be at home to take the pressure of the wife and let her go to work in peace. Already I can see people frowning on me, but the reality is that most of them are jealous that they don't have the courage to do the same. Best thing of all, my job is there waiting for me when I decide to go back!  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 20, 2020, 01:39:32 AM
Signed up Monday! Fed up of working the last 3 months. Went to the Doctor and said I was afraid of getting the Covid because of my Chest. (I've no Chest problems). Doctor said ok and wrote me a sick note. Said I could probably get 6 months out of this. Went to the welfare office - no questions. Happy days. Great to be getting the €350. Loads of time now to go over homework backlog, Do some sports drills, get jobs done around the house and watch a few boxsets. I might even get bored! Was fed up being the fool (risking my life) earning money that will only be taken off me with tax hikes when the dust settles. Have even sorted out a small nixer that should see me on the same money as working. I don't even care now what the Teachers do in September as I will be adaptable to multiple runs to the school if necessary or I'll be at home to take the pressure of the wife and let her go to work in peace. Already I can see people frowning on me, but the reality is that most of them are jealous that they don't have the courage to do the same. Best thing of all, my job is there waiting for me when I decide to go back!  ;D

Good for you, I'm sure you've paid enough tax over the years to have a break. The garden will look great!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 20, 2020, 01:43:45 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 20, 2020, 01:39:32 AM

Good for you, I'm sure you've paid enough tax over the years to have a break. The garden will look great!

Thanks! I'd feel guilty normally. But such is the flippant waste of money from the Government it takes away all guilt. Hop on the gravy train while you can.