Wood Burning Stove

Started by nrico2006, March 15, 2013, 04:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 09, 2014, 01:20:20 PM
Need to keep the oil off therefore reducing my boiler use - scandalous costs in the Lurgan/Waringstown area to get them serviced.

I agree and with comments like that the price could easily fluctuate against the customer ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

93-DY-SAM

Thinking of installing a multi-fuel stove to replace an existing gas fireplace. Wanted to take out the old fireplace and open it up to insert the new stove into. Have a few quotes from a couple of guys to do this which is working out at £600-800 plus the stove and flexi-liner for the flue after that. Just wondering if that sounds expensive?

Ideally I'd love to be able to get a stove which would heat water but there is no back boiler installed and would have to dig up half the house to get pipework to the fireplace for that.  So I'm looking at a Stanley Aoife at the min from Kildress Plumbing who appear to be hard to beat on price. Does anyone have one of these and how do they find it?

Last Man

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on September 30, 2015, 12:57:49 PM
Thinking of installing a multi-fuel stove to replace an existing gas fireplace. Wanted to take out the old fireplace and open it up to insert the new stove into. Have a few quotes from a couple of guys to do this which is working out at £600-800 plus the stove and flexi-liner for the flue after that. Just wondering if that sounds expensive?

Ideally I'd love to be able to get a stove which would heat water but there is no back boiler installed and would have to dig up half the house to get pipework to the fireplace for that.  So I'm looking at a Stanley Aoife at the min from Kildress Plumbing who appear to be hard to beat on price. Does anyone have one of these and how do they find it?

I went for a straight woodburner, simpler and a bit cheaper than a multifuel. Didn't bother with the back boiler either as they can be problematic and need installed by a plumber who knows what he's at plus tearing the house apart as well. That price sounds reasonable enough. make sure they are including insulation of the flue also to stop any condensation problems. You will need a balance vent if the room is open plan and has a kitchen extract fan in it.  Worth every penny come the cold dark nights.

93-DY-SAM

Cheers Last Man. When you say including insulating of the flue how do you mean? I'd plan to install a flexi-liner in the flue, do you mean this needs to be insulated between the liner and the existing flue?

The room is a living room with double doors to dining room which stay open all the time. The dining room has a set of double doors to back of house. The patio doors have a vent on them which I was hoping would be enough to tick that box.

Last Man

The insulation is between the existing chimney and flex flue. they usually back fill it from the top, think you call it vermiculite. Some installers don't bother but I prefer fit and forget.  Sounds like you don't need the wall vent either.

93-DY-SAM

With you now. Yeah it's called vermiculite, that's supposed to be part of the job.