Author Topic: Running  (Read 430097 times)

heffo

• View Profile
Re: Running
« Reply #5850 on: July 17, 2018, 12:54:41 PM »
Went out on Sunday morning for a small run, first time in about 5 years running and i have to say it was tough. I had the sense to not go too far first time out but only done 2 1/2 miles and it was bad. My leg muscles after run didn't know what had hit them and still sore today, i ran slow enough (eight and a half minute miles) but could't believe how hard the leg muscles got it.

I played football all my life until 8 years ago and took up cycling 4 years ago, wouldn't think twice about cycling 100 miles so am fit enough but couldn't believe what a 2 1/2 mile jog done to me...
In fairness it works both ways. As far as running goes I'd consider myself fairly fit at the moment.
I went back cycling though a month or so ago and my first time out I nearly collapsed off the bike at the end. It's like anything though, keep doing it and it gets better.
First night out I think I only averaged 21kph, after a few weeks I was doing the same route at 28kph.
Me personally though I don't get the same buzz from cycling as I do from running.

Have you tried going out in a group - lots of cycling clubs around Dublin that cater for beginners/improvers

GJL

• View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: July 17, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »
Went out on Sunday morning for a small run, first time in about 5 years running and i have to say it was tough. I had the sense to not go too far first time out but only done 2 1/2 miles and it was bad. My leg muscles after run didn't know what had hit them and still sore today, i ran slow enough (eight and a half minute miles) but could't believe how hard the leg muscles got it.

I played football all my life until 8 years ago and took up cycling 4 years ago, wouldn't think twice about cycling 100 miles so am fit enough but couldn't believe what a 2 1/2 mile jog done to me...
In fairness it works both ways. As far as running goes I'd consider myself fairly fit at the moment.
I went back cycling though a month or so ago and my first time out I nearly collapsed off the bike at the end. It's like anything though, keep doing it and it gets better.
First night out I think I only averaged 21kph, after a few weeks I was doing the same route at 28kph.
Me personally though I don't get the same buzz from cycling as I do from running.

Give mountain biking a go. I ride on the road and the MTB and get a much better buzz on the MTB. Can be very tough as well.

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: July 17, 2018, 01:08:27 PM »

Have you tried going out in a group - lots of cycling clubs around Dublin that cater for beginners/improvers
I haven't no. Maybe next year.
Marathon training just started so will be concentrating on that until end of October.

illdecide

• Quit your Jibba Jabbing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: July 17, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »
Laoislad i agree cycling can be a bit boring depending on the route but the last 10 mile of a decent size run and the group hits the turbo button for home and you're chewing the handle bars trying to hold on is great craic, your legs are burning beyond recognition and your lungs can't get enough oxygen in. Then sitting on the sofa like a busted flush all day after it knowing you emptied the tank and couldn't have given any more.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: July 17, 2018, 03:07:43 PM »
I would say the same ll. I don't get the same out of cycling. I do like it but just not as much as the running. I have done a few sportives etc too.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: July 20, 2018, 10:19:18 PM »
Any good online sports shops for trainers?  My Hokas are done! Looking new trainers
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)